Canucks Trade Schneider

July 4, 2013, 6:57 a.m.

Pretty sure Sundin was one of the first things Gillis did - your uncertainty is warranted given how closely it mirrored the Messier signing a decade prior by Iron Mike (I think brought Messier in, but perhaps he was just there to receive him).

I don't blame Hodgson one bit. I'm just saying that its too early to tell who the "winner" of that particular trade is/was. As much as I liked AV as a coach it certainly appeared that his disdain for youth affected Kassians ice time as well. Didn't he have 5 goals in 5 games to start the season with the Twins, only to be rewarded with a spot alongside Weiss and Lapierre for 3 whole minutes per game?

July 4, 2013, 12:30 p.m.

Pretty sure Sundin was one of the first things Gillis did - your uncertainty is warranted given how closely it mirrored the Messier signing a decade prior by Iron Mike (I think brought Messier in, but perhaps he was just there to receive him).

As I remember, Gillis inherited the team with a bunch of cap space and no one to fill it. Sundin was available, the only thing it cost was Aquilini's money. It was a one year deal and while he wasn't the Sundin of previous years, he apparently had a massive impact on the leadership group on the Canucks. He was everything Messier was supposed to be.

July 4, 2013, 12:36 p.m.

Wikipedia sez:

On the day of free agency, newly appointed general manager Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks offered Sundin a lucrative two-year, $20 million contract which, if signed, would have made him the highest paid player in the NHL. The Rangers, Canadiens and Leafs also made contract offers; however, Sundin chose to hold out for the beginning of the season, contemplating retirement. After announcing that he would, in fact, return to the NHL and sign with a team, he narrowed his prospects down to the New York Rangers and Vancouver Canucks. On December 18, 2008, the Canucks announced that Sundin had signed with the club to a one-year, $8.6 million contract. Pro-rated for the remainder of the season, Sundin's salary worked out to $5 million. Taking a $1.4 million pay cut from the Canucks' original yearly offer, Sundin reportedly decreased his contract willingly in order to give the Canucks added salary cap space to potentially bolster their lineup before the end of the season.

And, yes, the Sedins have said that getting to play with one of their heroes, and seeing how he conducted himself as a leader, had a huge impact on them.

July 4, 2013, 1:37 p.m.

I don't blame Hodgson one bit. I'm just saying that its too early to tell who the "winner" of that particular trade is/was. As much as I liked AV as a coach it certainly appeared that his disdain for youth affected Kassians ice time as well. Didn't he have 5 goals in 5 games to start the season with the Twins, only to be rewarded with a spot alongside Weiss and Lapierre for 3 whole minutes per game?

I wish that line would have stayed together, a future power player with hands and two guys feeding him dimes in front all day…

Major coaching fail.

Clunking is for retards.

July 4, 2013, 3:38 p.m.

Could've googled it but thanks for being nice about it lol.

And I'll agree again about the uncertain winner of that trade. It could be a win win depending on what Torts does with what he has. After looking at who and what Gillis drafted on Sunday, he doesnt look thaaat bad. I imagine Gillis is under the owners microscope; at least on the radar.

I wish that line would have stayed together, a future power player with hands and two guys feeding him dimes in front all day…

Major coaching fail.

Would've been better than the Anson Carter effect. Memories of Bert almost.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 4, 2013, 6:49 p.m.

So glad we kept Raymond instead of Grabner……

I never forgot about this one. Felt like we could have got more for Raymond and that Grabner would be the better player in the end. Who knows maybe even back then no one really wanted Raymond.

July 5, 2013, 1:01 p.m.

I never forgot about this one. Felt like we could have got more for Raymond and that Grabner would be the better player in the end. Who knows maybe even back then no one really wanted Raymond.

The only positive thing I can say about Raymond is that at least he won't have too much of an impact on the salary cap.

Wrong. Always.

July 5, 2013, 2:13 p.m.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676868

Vancouver Canucks President [HTML_REMOVED] General Manager Michael D. Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Brad Richardson.

Richardson, 28, appeared in 16 regular season games for the Kings in 2012.13, recording six points (1-5-6) and 10 penalty minutes and played 11 playoff games, collecting one assist.

Over the span of his eight-year NHL career with the Kings and Avalanche, the Belleville, Ontario native registered 105 points (43-62-105) and 183 penalty minutes in 391 games in addition to 10 points (5-5-10) and 14 penalty minutes in 45 playoff games. Richardson was a member of the LA Kings Stanley Cup championship team in 2012.

The 5’11”, 191-pound centre was originally drafted 163rd overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the fifth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 5, 2013, 2:21 p.m.

Gillis must think fans can't tell our Shea's from our Yannick's and our Richards from our Richardsons if he wants us to get excited about his work so far.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427057