Best place to appt hunt for NVan? Craigslist or other? Best times of year?

June 2, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

My wife and I are thinking of moving from Kits to NVan. We're not homeowners.

We like the areas north of the highway most, but there's not much volume of availability (at least right now) on Craigslist. Vancouver goes through cycles with the university academic year. Is there a similar renting cycle in North Van?

Do North Van people post their pads elsewhere? Or is my budget too low?

We're looking for a 2Bedroom place that has some light, for about 1200. And practically, does is rain noticeably more than in Vancouver?

June 2, 2013, 4:43 p.m.

Check Kijiji too.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-apartments-condos-North-Shore-W0QQCatIdZ37QQLocationZ1700289

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 2, 2013, 4:47 p.m.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-apartments-condos-2-bedroom-2-Bedroom-Apartment-W0QQAdIdZ490040214

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 2, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

North van definitely has the university cycle going on, especially for the more affordable units. I've had three places since I've been here, the best advice I have is to drive or ride around the neighborhood your interested in, a lot of places post vacancy signs but don't post on Craigslist or whatever.

June 2, 2013, 10:50 p.m.

Great, thanks rollers. I may try that. Also thanks for the kijiji, I use padmapper, which catches most kijij listings.

https://www.padmapper.com/

June 3, 2013, 2:08 a.m.

We're looking for a 2Bedroom place that has some light, for about 1200. And practically, does is rain noticeably more than in Vancouver?

I moved from East Van to Lynn Valley in November, and it was definitely way more rainy/foggy here.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find something in that budget; affordable rental prices here aren't any higher than they are in Vancouver.

flickr

June 3, 2013, 7:34 a.m.

And practically, does is rain noticeably more than in Vancouver?

Yes. The rain often starts at the centre of the 2nd Narrows Bridge as if defined by muni boundaries, when heading north to the shore.

June 3, 2013, 8:03 a.m.

don't forget to search further back. I ended up finding my place in lynn valley and it was on page 8 or something. Posting had been up for 2 months but my landlord was being picky about who he would have renting. Sometimes people get lazy and forget to take down their add and other times they just forget to repost.

June 3, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

I know someone looking to rent out a two bedroom in deep cove, fire me a PM if you're interested.

June 3, 2013, 2:40 p.m.

you can try NS News but since you have to pay to post ads there, you'll only be dealing with old folks who have never heard of the internet

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 3, 2013, 3:03 p.m.

Thanks everyone. It's too bad it rains so much, but it might be worth it to be close to the forest.

We're not on a timeline, so I bet if I just keep plugging away something will happen.

June 3, 2013, 3:20 p.m.

Found trolling with Padmapper is working the best so far. We sold our condo, so we're homeless at the end of the month if I don't find us a place to live. Considering moving up closer to Fromme, but I suspect the allure of Lower Lonsdale will sway my wifes' opinion.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 3, 2013, 3:31 p.m.

.Considering moving up closer to Fromme, but I suspect the allure of Lower Lonsdale will sway my wifes' opinion.

Mention to your wife that the "allure" of Lower Lonsdale includes listening to trains blasting horns in the wee hours ( 2-5 am, on a regular basis).

June 3, 2013, 3:46 p.m.

Found trolling with Padmapper is working the best so far. We sold our condo, so we're homeless at the end of the month if I don't find us a place to live. Considering moving up closer to Fromme, but I suspect the allure of Lower Lonsdale will sway my wifes' opinion.

Padmapper doesn't catch all of them I've found but it's still the best tool out there. Craigslist's Map View doesn't work well for me.

June 3, 2013, 5:46 p.m.

Post an ad for yourself and your wife with your criteria. More specific, the better.

I did, and we got many good leads. Eventually found an amazing place.