BB10

March 13, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

So … wife just got a black fruit Z10 yesterday. Of course I was conscripted to do the setup.

First impressions:

1. Holy carp what a crystal clear screen! Photos show up super sharp!
2. Setup was super easy.
3. The new BB Hub rocks - so intuitive!
4. Web browsing is ridiculously fast compared to any other handset I've tried.

Will report back in a week after I see how well/quickly my non-techie wife learns all of the gesture-based operations.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 13, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Honestly I am jealous. My buddy has one and I think BB or Rim or whatever has a winner.

March 13, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

It's basically just a GS3 with different body and skin, I was hoping for a bit more new tech hardware wise.

I played with one for a bit and while it was pretty I found the navigation to be shit, but I think once you get used to it, it would not be as bad.

March 13, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

I love mine too! She should read up on the shortcuts because there are a ton of them and they also become quite intuitive.

BUT - don't get an Otter Box. It makes the flick up from the bottom of the screen (a major gesture) a bit of a pain, and the phone itself becomes absolutely enormous. If your wife had one of those large purses like a small suitcase that might not be an issue, but mine mostly lives in my pocket.

March 13, 2013, 1:30 p.m.

I love mine too! She should read up on the shortcuts because there are a ton of them and they also become quite intuitive.

BUT - don't get an Otter Box. It makes the flick up from the bottom of the screen (a major gesture) a bit of a pain, and the phone itself becomes absolutely enormous. If your wife had one of those large purses like a small suitcase that might not be an issue, but mine mostly lives in my pocket.

It's a blackberry - I'm hoping its as tough as the old ones.

I drop my Curve 1-2 time a day, and it just keeps on chugging.

No need for ridiculous, overpriced protective cases thanks very much.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 13, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

Back cover is a flexible plastic with rubberized coating - I can't see an otterbox doing anything better than back cover. Sides are pretty low profile and seem bulletproof. So all that's left to protect might be the glass - one of those plastic adhesive shields would be all you'd need if you really want that extra protection IMO.

KN.

March 13, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

I drop my Curve 1-2 time a day, and it just keeps on chugging.

Maybe time for a medical checkup??

:P

Kn.

March 13, 2013, 2 p.m.

So does this mean BB is back from the dead? I thought they were slowly going obsolete, then all of a sudden OMGzz BB10.

March 13, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

http://www.truthdig.com/images/cartoonuploads/lk021213dAPR-white-smoke-500.jpg

WATERLOO, Ont. - Shares of BlackBerry (TSX:BB.TO - News) rose more than eight per cent on Wednesday after the company announced it sold 1 million of its new smartphones to a mystery buyer.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company said an "established partner" made the purchase, though a spokeswoman for the company said confidentiality reasons prevent it from revealing the identity.

The former Research In Motion said shipments of the phones will start immediately.

Shares moved ahead $1.21 to close at $16.04 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

"An order for one million devices is a tremendous vote of confidence in BlackBerry 10," said Rick Costanzo, executive vice president of global sales at BlackBerry.

It's the first time the smartphone maker has revealed concrete sales data for its new devices.

Chief executive Thorsten Heins has said the new BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen phone is selling better than the company expected, while Canadian carrier Bell (TSX:BCE.TO - News) said last month that preorders broke its previous records for BlackBerry presales.

The phone hit stores in Canada and the United Kingdom in February, with several other international markets following soon after.

Meanwhile, the U.S. rollout of the device continues as another carrier announced when it would carry the new touchscreen devices. Verizon Wireless says it will begin stocking the BlackBerry Z10 on March 28, with preorders starting on Thursday.

A keypad version of the device, dubbed the BlackBerry Q10, is expected this spring though an official date hasn't been announced.

BlackBerry will report its fourth-quarterly earnings on March 28.

Kn.

March 13, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

So does this mean BB is back from the dead? I thought they were slowly going obsolete, then all of a sudden OMGzz BB10.

No…LOL they dont/never will have the app support that android/apple have…

March 13, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

No…LOL they dont/never will have the app support that android/apple have…

But for those who want a phone and bulletproof email and solid integration with corporate calendar and email (rather than a toy with thousands of "apps" that are either garbage, useless, or nothing more than links to websites….)

March 13, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

The introduction of this platform had our IT department reverse their already-in-progress decision to switch to iPhones.

March 13, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

But for those who want a phone and bulletproof email and solid integration with corporate calendar and emaill (rather than a toy with thousands of "apps" that are either garbage, useless, or nothing more than links to websites….)

I have never used BB, so how is the email bullet proof? I didn't even know my email was susceptible to gun fire.

March 13, 2013, 4:04 p.m.

I predict that 10 years from now this will all be revealed as the most ingenious marketing ploy every used…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

March 13, 2013, 4:29 p.m.

I'm hoping that my work will eventually upgrade to the Q10.

My Bold 9900 has lasted longer than the previous model BBs.