Crashed

Aug. 9, 2006, 12:40 p.m.

Crashing sucks on pavement… that is why you have to crash on grass. While we were rding the STP my buddy got a bee stuck in his jersey… and he rode right off the road into the ditch and started rolling around. Funny except that the kid got stung three times.

I love riding the road… all I need is a bike… oh yeah and the money to pay for it.

I have given up beer to save for two new bikes… roadie and new big bike!

Heal up soon and get back out there!

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 9, 2006, 12:43 p.m.

ouch, that sounds painful, good luck on the healing process.

and thank you for cementing for me my decision not to be a roadie. i'd look kinda silly with armor :P

Um, road riding is not all about pack riding, racing and getting taken down by teammates. If you're not riding in areas with stupid amounts of traffic, it's pretty safe.

Honestly, I wouldn't let the safety issue hold you back. I've had zero accidents since mostly switching to road, compared with many small injuries and one big one while trail riding.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 9, 2006, 2:27 p.m.

Um, road riding is not all about pack riding, racing and getting taken down by teammates. If you're not riding in areas with stupid amounts of traffic, it's pretty safe.

Honestly, I wouldn't let the safety issue hold you back. I've had zero accidents since mostly switching to road, compared with many small injuries and one big one while trail riding.

I would agree with Sanrensho. Mountainbiking is more conductive to hurting yourself. The silly little falls, add up to alot of cuts a bruises. Nevermind the big falls!

Don't let my story discourage you from riding Road bikes. I have a tendency to push things too far by riding agressively, this crash would have been prevented if I had used better judgement. (I hope this makes sense, painkillers are really kicking in)Pack riding, has its dangers.

I still really enjoy Road Riding, it brings something to riding that you don't get from riding a mountain bike.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 9, 2006, 2:42 p.m.

oh im gunna take it.. and make u cry… :) i picked up a cycelops Electronic Trainer. should be nice!!!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 9, 2006, 3:16 p.m.

I agree with this. I picked up a road bike earlier this year and i feel way better since doing it. I don't get as many stupid little knocks from trail debris, moving my body around on the bike and, occasionally, crashing.

combine that with the cash i save from leaving my car at home when i ride road, the relatively low maintenance on the road bike, and some noticeable fitness gains and i'm a happy camper.

have the best of both worlds now - i can take the road bike out for a rip or jump on my trance for a trail ride somewhere out in the mountains.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Aug. 9, 2006, 3:50 p.m.

hmm…sounds like it's worth giving up beer for a few months. to be honest, the skinny tires are what scare me the most. that, and the spandex :lol:

Aug. 9, 2006, 4:02 p.m.

hmm…sounds like it's worth giving up beer for a few months. to be honest, the skinny tires are what scare me the most. that, and the spandex :lol:

Hehe, I can see we've got you now…

Just so you know, most road bikes come with tires that are narrower than they need to be (700x23c). Unless you're racing or are an experienced road rider, I'd replace them immediately with wider 700x25c or 700x28c tires. You get a comfier ride, bigger patch in contact with the road, and tires that rail on decents. Only a small penalty in weight if you pick the right tires.

I wouldn't worry about the spandex, because when you're first starting out, everyone will be in front of you instead of behind you.;)

Some of the best things about road riding are:

1. Out the door and riding in the time it takes to fill your water bottle and get changed.

2. Weekly maintenace takes literally minutes: Lube and wipe off chain.

3. Annual maintenance parts (depending on mileage): New rear tire. Maybe a chain and fresh cables if you want to be extravagant.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 9, 2006, 4:10 p.m.

Quit being wussy and come buy a bike from me already. I'll give a sweet deal on the bike plus a free jersey!

www.natooke.com

Aug. 9, 2006, 4:27 p.m.

Quit being wussy and come buy a bike from me already. I'll give a sweet deal on the bike plus a free jersey!

Forget the jersey, make sure she gets a nice pair of riding shorts with a decent chamois! It's the black spandex that she wants.

Aug. 9, 2006, 4:39 p.m.

Forget the jersey, make sure she gets a nice pair of riding shorts with a decent chamois! It's the black spandex that she wants.

well we have those but we also have some louis garneau shorts with a chamois that are loose and look like regular shorts. I have a pair that I use for road riding cuz no one will ever catch me in spandex if I'm not racing. :lol:

www.natooke.com

Aug. 9, 2006, 5:05 p.m.

well we have those but we also have some louis garneau shorts with a chamois that are loose and look like regular shorts.

Geez, what's the use in that? LG needs to be spandexed in full glory for all to see. Although baggies are warmer and offer a bit of wind protection in cooler/rain weather. She can always wear her regular MTB baggies over spandies.

I say spandies all the way.

Aug. 9, 2006, 10:58 p.m.

i feel the pull of the dark side…dum dum dum…so, if i get a roadbike, do i have to stop making fun of roadies?

Aug. 9, 2006, 11:17 p.m.

judy… i was once a hater… now im full blown lover.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 9, 2006, 11:46 p.m.

so, if i get a roadbike, do i have to stop making fun of roadies?

No, you can still hate on unfriendly roadies with frame pumps stuck up their @ss. You'll also have to get used to being (mostly) ignored by shuttlers. On the other hand, MTBers who climb up are universally friendly and respectful, at least that's what I've noticed. Mutual respect and all that.

Aug. 10, 2006, 2 a.m.

oh crap man, that's harsh. The damage sounds quite extreeme. I hope you get better real soon.

If it makes you feel any better, i was nicknamed the posterboy of all crashes on my school team, both on the road and off. That parked car didn't quite look as nice after i endo'ed into the side of it.

:banana: