Crashed

Aug. 12, 2006, 8:12 a.m.

ummm… cuz.. always nice to buy another road bike.. :)

get a newer one so I look more team Gaycore..

gunna stick with opus I like the looks.

Well that's just silly.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 12, 2006, 8:32 a.m.

ninja u know why…. :) think about it… Cough OGC… hahah

I want the newest fancy bike.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 12, 2006, 8:49 a.m.

Frame/fork only? What is the exact purpose of the frame swap?

Thewalrus has lots of info about frame weights and deals.

I guess I do…

If you want a really nice carbon frame that's only 100g heavier than a R3, check out www.pedalforce.com. They don't have it listed on the website yet, but the photo below is a QS2-S. It's a stiffer, slightly more expensive version of the regular QS2. This frame is made by one of the top-3 Taiwanese manufacturers, it's either a Topkey, Martec or Kinesis. A bunch of european bike companies rebrand it, I've seen the regular QS2 as a Wilier and as a Lapierre.

About 1050g-1100g depending on size. I would pair one with a Easton EC90 SL or SL Aero fork, pedalforce has some great deals on Easton forks.

$700 USD.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Aug. 12, 2006, 10:08 a.m.

sexxxy

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 12, 2006, 10:32 a.m.

Thewalrus, that looks nice. It looks like a louis Garneau.

Well now that I posted a picture, I guess it doesn't.

What do you think of full carbon bikes? I'm not completely sold on them, myself. The only carbon part on my bike broke in the crash…. which is weird. Cus it was on the opposite side of the crash!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 12, 2006, 12:48 p.m.

Thewalrus, that looks nice. It looks like a louis Garneau.

What do you think of full carbon bikes? I'm not completely sold on them, myself. The only carbon part on my bike broke in the crash…. which is weird. Cus it was on the opposite side of the crash!

Louis Garneaus look a lot like Giant TCR 1 Carbons, if you examine the unpainted frames. Pretty sure LG doesn't fabricate its own frames, you can put a "Made in Canada" sticker on it if it was painted and decaled in Quebec.

I think full carbon frames are a great idea. They're light, strong and stiff… It's difficult to make a super light aluminum frame, the cannondale CAAD8/CAAD9 at 1150g is about the pinnacle of alu technology.

I don't think carbon stems, seatposts and bars make much sense. They're frequently heavier than their aluminum counterparts. For example, 185g FSA carbon stem at 110mm length vs 155g Thomson X2 stem at 110mm length (CNCed alloy). Or the numerous carbon bars that weigh more than a good 270g aluminum 44cm 31.8mm bar.

Carbon in saddles is great - if you've ever ridden a specialized Toupe, it has a carbon body with regular padding on top. Very comfortable for a 150g saddle that competes with the best available from Selle Italia and Fizik.

Some manufacturers have done frankly stupid stuff in their quest for super light carbon frames and cranksets. For example the Scott CR1, great frame, doesn't have a replaceable derailleur hanger. Or the well known bottom bracket delamination problem with Cervelo R2.5s. A bunch of people over at the weight weenies road forum ( http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3 ) who own Stronglight Pulsion cranksets have had the pedal mounting nut delaminate from the carbon crankarm body in the past 6 months. At this point I think the only carbon cranks I would trust are from Time or Campy.

mmmmmmmmmm record 2007 hollow ultra torque……. 89g lighter than the old square taper BB + crank from 2006.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

Aug. 12, 2006, 1:01 p.m.

ninja u know why…. :) think about it… Cough OGC… hahah

I want the newest fancy bike.

Though you might "settle" for Dura Ace when you see the prices for SRAM Force, $520 USD retail for just a pair of shifters. It's fully 1/3 more expensive than Record.

Don't forget the zero gravity brakes and a pair of Lightweights…

Aug. 12, 2006, 2:09 p.m.

oh i can get the zero brakes no prob.. i really like sram.. but like I said im new… i just follow the trendy things… hahaha untill I know enought I wont stray to far.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 12, 2006, 8:46 p.m.

Aug. 12, 2006, 10:18 p.m.

Those bent forks are hideous! Nasty. yuck!

Aug. 12, 2006, 10:32 p.m.

Those bent forks are hideous! Nasty. yuck!

Here's what I think you should do. If you can deal with derision from your teammates, buy whatever bike fits your fancy from BikesDirect.com. With the money you saved, buy a second cyclocross bike.

Took my Jake for her first real trail ride today and had a blast. I have never ripped through a trail so fast.:love:

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 13, 2006, 12:58 a.m.

The only carbon part on my bike broke in the crash….

Photos?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 13, 2006, 11:01 a.m.

Photos?

In a little while…. Batterys were dead!

Aug. 13, 2006, 11:10 a.m.

Here's what I think you should do. If you can deal with derision from your teammates, buy whatever bike fits your fancy from BikesDirect.com. With the money you saved, buy a second cyclocross bike.

Took my Jake for her first real trail ride today and had a blast. I have never ripped through a trail so fast.:love:

Derision - Contemptuous or jeering laughter; ridicule. learned a new word today!

goes to BikesDirect.com searches franticly for something my shallow, little ego can handle….. finds nothing

oh starts to think "maybe I can peel the decals off"….. ponders to himself…

Aug. 13, 2006, 7:34 p.m.

what's been the de-lam issue with the R2.5? I haven't noticed anything on mine.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"