Tubeless - downsides?

Jan. 16, 2010, 10:19 a.m.

Never run tubeless. Like everybody else, I hate flats (and I 'm good at getting them). Thinking about it to reduce the rotational weight of the wheel more than anything else. Looks like I'll be running Azonic Outlaws (2010) with Minions. I'm about 200lbs, and I like to huck stuff.

Are there any downsides to tubeless? I have heard that the setup is not ideal if you are pinning it through corners. I heard the tires can roll off the rim in that situation. Anything else?

Jan. 16, 2010, 10:46 a.m.

I've only tried the ghetto tubeless. I was happy with it untill I had a hole in my rear tire that didn't reseal and sprayed the latex up my ass and back. The stuff doesn't wash out very well so I went back to tubes because I didn't want to wreck any more of my riding gear (well not realy wrecked but it always looks really dirty even when clean).

I don't think that this is a problem with propper tubeless setups. AS far as I understand it, the propper tubeless tires and rims don't need any liquid latex, Slime, Stans or any other sealing type of goop to work.

GO HUCK YOUR SELF!

Jan. 16, 2010, 10:48 a.m.

Man, I have beaten this topic to death. Others have too.

Yes, the chances of rolling a tire off or burping air is much higher, but, that just means you have to run more air pressure.

By taking the tube out, you are taking away a small amount of structural stability to the tire as a whole. You need air to replace that lack of tube. Although the tubeless set up will offer better grip at similar pressures, you need to learn to ride with slightly more pressure as to help prevent burping.

The biggest downside is of course changing tires with limited resources, like at a race site or without a compressor. At a race you might want to switch out your tires and a floor pump will not always do the trick. Carry tubes just in case.

Jan. 16, 2010, 2:40 p.m.

I love tubeless..until a rock cut my sidewall 1/4 down Kicking Horse. It didn't seal and turned into a looong walk.

Happened again in Whistler when I knicked one of my knobs.

You're such a meathuck Chris, it'll just end up being a pita.
Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 16, 2010, 3:58 p.m.

I love tubeless..until a rock cut my sidewall 1/4 down Kicking Horse. It didn't seal and turned into a looong walk.

Happened again in Whistler when I knicked one of my knobs.

You're such a meathuck Chris, it'll just end up being a pita.
Posted via Mobile Device

I carry a tube just in case. Ive never used the ghetto latex thing, it's always been
with Stans. I had Stans seal a 1/4" gash on my sidewall. I went from 20psi to 5
but I rode down, albeit slowly. Had I had a pump (or any of us) I could have just
pumped it back up, which is what I did when I got home and rode the tire like
that for over a week till a new one came in the mail.

I've never had any issues cleaning up the stans…a little water and it's gtg. I've
been using stans for well over 6 years, never had an issue. I keep my tires at
25psi for my dh tires and 30 for am/xc tires.

Like Wayne said, this has been beat to death. Maybe do a search and read the
hundreds of pages of replies?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 16, 2010, 4:26 p.m.

yeah, having a tubeless issue end your ride is just not being prepared. Always carry a tube. Chances are whatever gashes your tire to give you a flat tubeless would have given you a flat with tubes as well.

I'd say the biggest downfall is if you like to swap out tires often. It can be a bit messy and depending how well your particular tires seal up, a bit of trial and error. My latest tires took a few tries of different methods to get them to seal up. But in 4 years of running tubeless that was the first tire than I had to work at to get them to seal.

Jan. 16, 2010, 4:45 p.m.

yeah, having a tubeless issue end your ride is just not being prepared. Always carry a tube. Chances are whatever gashes your tire to give you a flat tubeless would have given you a flat with tubes as well.

Bang on!

A part of everyone's tool kit should be a business card - or carry one in your wallet. Works great for temporarily patching a cut tire. Put the card between the tube and sidewall, and you're good to go.

I've used this trick a couple of times with great results.

Jan. 16, 2010, 4:57 p.m.

I'd say the biggest downfall is if you like to swap out tires often. It can be a bit messy and depending how well your particular tires seal up, a bit of trial and error. My latest tires took a few tries of different methods to get them to seal up. But in 4 years of running tubeless that was the first tire than I had to work at to get them to seal.

I had that issue with a nevegal/729 combo. Someone on here gave me a tip that
works 100%. A tire not sealing with stans is a matter of the tire not being squeezed
to the outside usually by sitting too deep in the rim groove (for lack of a better
word).
So, what I do now is:
Rim [HTML_REMOVED] rim tape [HTML_REMOVED] one layer of self adhesive insulating foam (the width of the
groove and 1/8" or so thick) [HTML_REMOVED] one layer of hockey tape over the foam [HTML_REMOVED] finally
three strips in all of electric tape…one over the foam in the middle and one on
either side. Over that goes your stans strip or ghetto tube.

It makes getting a tire on a pain, you can no longer do it with just your hands.
But, I get a seal with a floor pump every time, and while I've never tried, I'm
sure I could do it with a hand pump.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 16, 2010, 5:02 p.m.

^^ bang on. I didn't use the foam but wrapped a few layers of hockey tape. The Schwalbes that I'm using seem to have a larger bead diameter than other tires I've used. As soon as I wrapped a few more layers of tape they seated right up.

Jan. 16, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

You might laugh at this, but one very useful trick for seating a stubborn bead is - motor oil. Pour a little on the beads of the tire and it should seat. It basically replaces what soapy water does. Its so thick that it can close some major gaps.

I first tried it on my wheelbarrow (yes it came tubeless). The beads on that sucker are about 1/2" away from the rim. Motor oil was the only way I could seat it.

Jan. 16, 2010, 6:55 p.m.

If you are using UST valve stems that you need to tighten with pliers to seal…make sure you have something in your pack to remove the stem to make way for the tube. Made that mistake twice.

Jan. 16, 2010, 7:20 p.m.

I've seen too many problems with tubeless to want to try it on my FR/DH bikes. But then, I don't get many pinch flats at all.

- several sidewall tears that required a tube
- tires refusing to seat
- tires blowing off a rim (this was UST tire/UST rim…seems hard to believe but it happened upon landing a jump)
- tires burping, numerous times

In socal it seems everyone rides tubeless w/stans due to prevent flats from thorns. I use slime tubes. UST tires/rims are more expensive, and since its a good idea to carry a spare tube (or 2) anyways when running tubeless, I don't see much advantage.

There is some weight savings from running tubeless but it is offset somewhat because typical UST tires have thicker sidewalls and using Stan's adds weight. Ghetto tubeless also requires stans and /or extra rim strips that add weight.

But if weight is key for you maybe it is worth while…

Jan. 16, 2010, 7:31 p.m.

Weight savings (rolling weight) and flat resistance. If either of those aren't a concern for you then just use tubes.

Jan. 16, 2010, 8:17 p.m.

You might laugh at this, but one very useful trick for seating a stubborn bead is - motor oil. Pour a little on the beads of the tire and it should seat. It basically replaces what soapy water does. Its so thick that it can close some major gaps.

Doesn't sound silly at all.

Wd 40 works to. I recall seeing a bottle at the shop that said something like Tire Bead Lube .

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 17, 2010, 7:29 a.m.

WD40 isn't very thick though. You can make thicker soapy water than that.

Just go to crappy tire and pick up a bottle of gear oil. That stuff is like molasses.