Tubeless - downsides?

Jan. 17, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

i'm confused - i thought one of the main benefits of tubeless was that you could run less pressure without worrying about pinch flats.

actually I've found the best benefit is you can run higher pressure and get the same traction as lower pressure. With the higher pressure you get less rolling resistance.

Jan. 17, 2010, 4:26 p.m.

you can run higher pressure and get the same traction as lower pressure.

eh? please to explain this to me like i'm a short-bus'r

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 17, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

Boom dude, read my first post in this thread.

Jan. 17, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

i've never had problems getting good seals at the valve stems on my ust (crossmax, 823s) [HTML_REMOVED] stan's rims (olympics), and they're all hand tightened.

When I used Stan's UST valve stems with my 819's, the rubber seal at the bottom wouldn't really fit properly like the Mavic valve stem and kept leaking. The Stan's valve stem is easier to take out the valve stem and attach the Stan's injector to put in the fluid than the Mavic stem.

Jan. 17, 2010, 5:32 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

walk down from the top of Garbo once cuz u burped you tubeless setup, and can't get it reseated will be enuf to convince u to just stick to tubes tires

I've seen to many issues with my freinds who run tubeless, I'm sold on tubed setups

What happens if you flat a tubed tire at the top of Garbo?

Jan. 17, 2010, 5:33 p.m.

Really?

EDIT: LOL yeah, I guess I forgot to press the "/" button.

like i said i know few people who have had success with them.
burping was never the problem, it was the tire losing 3-5psi a day even after few resets and extra fluid. some combinations of rims and tires don't work well.

doubletrack certainly didn't.

and i know my ds28 definitely won't work perfectly.
and seriously, tubeless just simply sucked in wet root due to its high psi.

so for a hack like myself,fr tube in the back, regualar tube in the front works quite fine.

I loose almost no air from my stans equipped nevegals (dh casing), or the minions
or the michi 32's or the panaracer fr's (going back a few years) or the weirfwolfs or the gazzi's.

The only tires I've had an issue with are the nevegals w/ a kevlar bead. You can
see through the sidewall, more than just light, but movement too if you hold
a tire up to your eyes.

This is w/ different rims:
arrow dhx
rhino lites
mag 30
single tracks
double tracks
WTB laserdiscs

I run about 3-5 psi higher than I did with tubes. My tires stick as well as any
other nevegal out there with tubes.

When I get a new wheel, it takes about 15 minutes to prep it properly so that
I don't have any issues. After that, it takes me less than 5 to change my tires.
Every time I lend my spare tube to a fellow rider, I'm chuffed I took that extra
step and learned how to set up my stans correctly.

If you like to cut corners or rush things, don't get tubeless.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 17, 2010, 5:44 p.m.

Good point, you knid of need to carry a spare whatever setup you use.

With tubes, I get about 2 or 3 flats a week. Tubeless, I get 2 or 3 flats a year. Your experience may differ.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Jan. 17, 2010, 8:21 p.m.

Come on over and put that Michelin M12 on my dirt bike and then say that mountain bike tires are hard to get on. :P An hour and 4 bloody knuckles with 8" levers.

I tried changing the tires on my RMZ once (borrowed the levers from a Harley mechanic friend), gave up and took the wheel to a shop. I don't know how to do it without bending the rim. BRUTAL. I'll take a DH tire any day.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Jan. 17, 2010, 8:31 p.m.

if your me, you end up walking down..hahaah..

but most people simply stop and change tubes.. a tubeless setup pretty much leaves you hooped..

unless your prepared to insert a tube into that goopy mess and clean it all out later i suppose.

Jan. 17, 2010, 9:32 p.m.

but most people simply stop and change tubes.. a tubeless setup pretty much leaves you hooped..

unless your prepared to insert a tube into that goopy mess and clean it all out later i suppose.

sorry buddy, it takes the same amount of time to throw a tube into a tubeless setup and let's face it, I'm not too worried about getting dirty when I'm riding.

Jan. 17, 2010, 9:58 p.m.

It's not even really that messy.

Jan. 18, 2010, 6:08 a.m.

I tried changing the tires on my RMZ once (borrowed the levers from a Harley mechanic friend), gave up and took the wheel to a shop. I don't know how to do it without bending the rim. BRUTAL. I'll take a DH tire any day.

You've gotta break the bead and drop them into the well of the rim, otherwise you'd never get them off.

Jan. 18, 2010, 9:22 a.m.

I never considered latex to be that messy myself, besides I always have a water
pack with me when I ride so I could rinse my hands if need be.

But, to each their own I guess.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 18, 2010, 9:41 a.m.

did you try swearing at it?

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 18, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

I've been running tubeless for about 3 years and I now switch back and forth depending on whether I'm more annoyed by the hassle of tubeless, or the hassle of getting flats. Wish I could have the best of both.

I'd like to see improvement in the bead interface area. No burping, easy sealing with a floor pump with just rim tape, and a bead that seats completely at sub-40 psi (cuz good luck getting a tire back to 70psi on the side of the trail). And maybe sealant that doesn't gum up the valve eventually.

My biggest gripe is just that its so non-standardized and we have to post threads with all these opinions on which combos work and which don't. Just make it so that you can buy a rim, buy a tire, stick the shit on and pump it up and forget about it until the tire is worn out. Thats when tubeless will be a CLEAR winner

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40