Tire / Rim Question

July 20, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

I've had a Norco Fluid 7 for a couple of months now, and have done about 30 hours of riding, mostly on Seymour. Lots of laps on all the blue trails and a few excursions onto blacks (Asian Adonis a couple of times, Pingu, Severed).

The stock tires are 2.2" WTB Bee Lines, and I discovered today that the rear one has a spot on the sidewall that is just about worn right through. I'm probably using them for rougher terrain than they are meant for, so not totally unexpected.

So, the first major upgrade for my bike is new tires. Searching on here led me to the Minion DHR2 and DHF, which seem to be highly recommended for Shore riding.

My question is if those tires in a 2.3" are going to be too much for my 19mm rims. According to the label on the rims, they can handle up to 2.4”, but I can't find anything that indicates if the tires have a minimum recommended rim width.

Any advice, or alternate tire recommendations, would be appreciated.

July 20, 2016, 5:25 p.m.

2.3 Minions will be just fine.

July 20, 2016, 9:56 p.m.

Bought song of these (in 26 cause I'm old school):

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM65/on-one-chunky-monkey-650b-tubeless-ready-tyre

Loving them so far. And cheap too.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 21, 2016, 6:27 a.m.

I rode 2.4 tires on 17mm rims for years. No issues, unless you want to ride crazy low tire pressure.
I like the Specialized Butcher up front. Have a Purgatory in the rear. Ok, but straight line braking is not that great. Slaughter would be an alternative (probably worse for braking). Speci tires are light and relatively cheap. Conti is worth looking at (Mountain King or Trail King), but they cost more. I have a tendency to rip side knobs off the RaceSport versions. Onza Ibex is a nice tire (lots of rolling resistance, if you're concerned about such things), or a Lynx for something faster rolling in the rear. The latter is only available in 2.25, though.

July 21, 2016, 7:15 a.m.

I've had a Norco Fluid 7 for a couple of months now, and have done about 30 hours of riding, mostly on Seymour. Lots of laps on all the blue trails and a few excursions onto blacks (Asian Adonis a couple of times, Pingu, Severed).

The stock tires are 2.2" WTB Bee Lines, and I discovered today that the rear one has a spot on the sidewall that is just about worn right through. I'm probably using them for rougher terrain than they are meant for, so not totally unexpected.

So, the first major upgrade for my bike is new tires. Searching on here led me to the Minion DHR2 and DHF, which seem to be highly recommended for Shore riding.

My question is if those tires in a 2.3" are going to be too much for my 19mm rims. According to the label on the rims, they can handle up to 2.4”, but I can't find anything that indicates if the tires have a minimum recommended rim width.

Any advice, or alternate tire recommendations, would be appreciated.

I'm still using Mavic 719s (cough), along with dhf 2.5 front and back. The lighter maxis exo tires are great in 2.5 and rolling is fine.

Use 3c max terra on the front for all conditions except monsoon. 3c max terra for rear in the wet and 60a for dry. No problem on 19 mm rims.

I'm 211 lbs and use 35/40 going up and 23/25 coming down for air pressure.

July 21, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

This is a timely discussion.

2.3 vs 2.5 DHFs ??? thoughts? comments?

Also - where can you get Specialized tires locally?

July 21, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

This is a timely discussion.

2.3 vs 2.5 DHFs ??? thoughts? comments?

Also - where can you get Specialized tires locally?

Maxxis tires run very small for their size. The 2.5s I had run smaller than 2.35s on most other brands.

I think Dunbar carries Spec. tires last time I looked on their website.

July 21, 2016, 10:28 a.m.

I've found what I thought was a GREAT way to check for tire roll the other day: Take your bike out on the street and do hard cutties!

I've been trying to zero in my tire pressure the last few months like a pro, but precise feedback from the trail for someone of my "ability" is elusive.

Greg Minaar can feel 1mm and 1/2 psi differences. In stark contrast I can do an entire descent unkowingly dragging along a small tree before my friends helpfully point it out…

However within a few minutes of the street test I was bang on the minimum threshold before rolling.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

July 21, 2016, 3:01 p.m.

I'm still using Mavic 719s (cough), along with dhf 2.5 front and back. The lighter maxis exo tires are great in 2.5 and rolling is fine.

Use 3c max terra on the front for all conditions except monsoon. 3c max terra for rear in the wet and 60a for dry. No problem on 19 mm rims.

I'm 211 lbs and use 35/40 going up and 23/25 coming down for air pressure.

Do you carry a digital pressure gauge to let air out at the top? I'm 220lbs geared up and run 28/30, I'm probably wasting a bunch of energy on fire road climbs and could maybe got a bit lower on descents (tubeless)… My hand pump doesn't have a gauge and don't know what a few PSI feels like with my hands.

For OP: I run Minion DHF front and rear in 2.5 EXO 3C, setup tubeless. Good all around setup although it certainly doesn't roll quickly. As an intermediate trying to progress, I value grip over everything. I think you'll be shocked how much better a tire like that is versus your stock setup. I was running worn down Continental Mountain King (2.2 I think, can't remember) and it was night and day when I got the DHF's, especially cornering.

July 21, 2016, 4:09 p.m.

Thanks for the help. 2.3 DHR2 and DHF on order from CRC.

As an intermediate trying to progress, I value grip over everything. I think you'll be shocked how much better a tire like that is versus your stock setup.

I'm hoping that is the case. The torn sidewall is a convenient excuse to make the upgrade sooner rather than later.

July 21, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

Maxxis tires run very small for their size. The 2.5s I had run smaller than 2.35s on most other brands.

I think Dunbar carries Spec. tires last time I looked on their website.

The maxxis 2.3's are a newer mold and they run very true to size.

On the shore steed sells spesh tires.

July 21, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

Do you carry a digital pressure gauge to let air out at the top? I'm 220lbs geared up and run 28/30, I'm probably wasting a bunch of energy on fire road climbs and could maybe got a bit lower on descents (tubeless)… My hand pump doesn't have a gauge and don't know what a few PSI feels like with my hands.

yes. I got one of those digital ones from Germany (Skf) works great. Always in the bag.

If it's an all round ride I set at 23/25. For Fromme higher up lower down.

I still run tubes (change rear tire a lot for conditions) so you could probably go a bit lower than me with tubeless.

Find the 3c max terra works a bit better with less air than super tacky due to the stiffer casing.

July 23, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

dhr2 2.3 3c max terrra and dhf 2.3 3cmax terra is my favortite flavor here . Great in the winter though thinking about going to a dual compound in the rear for summer