Shizzle...

March 2, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

….or fizzle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2gFwATeMA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 2, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

I know looks are subjective and all, but I find that one of the ugliest bikes on the market. It already looks kinda industrial but they mix up the colours like it was built in the basement by some 15 year old kid on a budget. Mixing colours can work, but this one doesn't make any sense.

March 2, 2016, 3:42 p.m.

The lower end models don't get any prettier

Why can't they just do black like other bike companies.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

March 2, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

Utter junk.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 2, 2016, 6:11 p.m.

Do something different and people hate it. Do more of the same and it "looks like a trek".
Reading some reviews on the bike, it sounds like a good ride…even if it's looks are polarizing.

March 2, 2016, 7:31 p.m.

All they've done is made the lower link closer to the chain torque force like a DW-Link, which admittedly is better than the janky anti-squat SC use. Then they managed to position the shock on the toptube without leaving enough room for a bottle. Plus some of the worst cable routing in cycling history.

They better be really, really, cheap.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 2, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

janky anti-squat

Define your terms pls.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 2, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

Steeper lower link angle.

- Morgman

March 2, 2016, 10:19 p.m.

Mcgazza is rolling in his grave.

Too soon?

March 3, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

All they've done is made the lower link closer to the chain torque force like a DW-Link, which admittedly is better than the janky anti-squat SC use.
They better be really, really, cheap.

How do you figure that exactly? Lower link will drive axle path resulting in an initially rear ward axle that turns back to forward after the link levels out (S-shape axle path). S-shape axle path is exactly the principal behind Santa Cruz anti-squat VPP. Chain growth and pedal feedback (anti-squat) through initial travel. Just so happens the VPP patents recently expired…

March 3, 2016, 7:20 p.m.

It has to have that level of anti-squat because the leverage rate is so regressive to sag point.

- Morgman

March 3, 2016, 8:41 p.m.

It's the same thing as Rocky Smoothlink. Diamondback moved the pivot location from just above the rear axle, to that same height, but just behind and above the bottom bracket. This is basically a copy of smoothlink, it does the same thing.

March 4, 2016, 7:04 a.m.

bicycle GURUUUUU

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

March 4, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

It has to have that level of anti-squat because the leverage rate is so regressive to sag point.

No, that is backwards logic.
The leverage rate is regressive to sag to promote the bike to sit in that sag point consistently, as that is the sweet spot for pedaling of the VPP system.
At that sag point in the articulation of the 4-bar suspension the instant center of the rear axle (essentially the point at which chain pull is to be analyzed) is ahead and below the bottom bracket. This results in chain pull pulling against the shock, aka anti-squat. Similar to a bike with a high single pivot. Difference being in a 4-bar linkage with two unequal short links and one large rear triangle is that the location of the instant center of the rear axle (this is the VIRTUAL PIVOT POINT) varies at any given point in the suspension travel.

4-bar linkage like a HORST or Smoothlink achieves similar properties although to a greatly reduced magnitude than a system like VPP or this "level link".

March 4, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

I just got off the phone, Santa Cruz called, they want their 2009 Nomad back, at least the ones with the ugly paintjobs.

Probably it is an okay bike and the price might be okay also.
But just look at what YT and Canyon do - love them or hate them - they don't mess around with fugly cheapo color schemes on their lower price models.

Have you ever met anyone who intentionally wanted their bike to have a different rear end color and a rear wheel in a different color than the front wheel?

If you're a 16 year old Whistler kid without rich parents you can rock that look, but only if you actually destroyed one of your wheels and then get a free replacement from some Scandinavian EWS racer during Crank Worx.

Specialized especially did the Status DH bike with a 135mm qr rear end because if these kids. Because they can't "afford through axles"…