PSA: wash your bikes before crossing the border

Feb. 8, 2016, 8 p.m.

On the way back into Canada after a day riding in Bellingham, we were given a warning that muddy bikes could be inadmissible since mud is a vector for microbes. It would have sucked to be turned around to wait in that line again. In the future, I will be giving my bike a hose-down at a gas station.

Feb. 8, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

yes, those evil dirt microbes all respect the arbitrary line on the ground

Feb. 8, 2016, 9:22 p.m.

God forbid someone have dirt on their shoes! The horror!

Feb. 8, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

I didn't say it makes sense. But those guys do have the power to make your life miserable.

I honestly had no idea mud was of concern to them.

Feb. 9, 2016, 6:52 a.m.

Yup, and make sure your avocados have USA! stickers on them. Even if one does and the other doesn't, its considered an illegal and headed to the border kitchen.

Feb. 9, 2016, 7:34 a.m.

Anyone else fjnd that cdn guards are less friendly nowadays, and us guards are more friendly? Its like supertroopers down at the border these days. Welcome back meow.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 9, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

I didn't say it makes sense. But those guys do have the power to make your life miserable.

I honestly had no idea mud was of concern to them.

Didn't mean to seem like I was criticizing you! :)

Feb. 9, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

Anyone else fjnd that cdn guards are less friendly nowadays, and us guards are more friendly? Its like supertroopers down at the border these days. Welcome back meow.

I've always been treated like shit by our border guys, and with nothing but friendliness and good manners by the American guys.

No idea what's up with the hostility, as far as I know I act the same with both of em. Recently I've taken a more "military subordinate" approach with the Canadians, as folks in positions of authority seem to like it when you show them that you know they have authority. Works with cops so I figure I'll try it with our guys as it seems like an assertion of authority thing.

Although it may just be a cultural thing, (broad generalization incoming) Americans are way friendlier and make real quick with the sir's and m'am's and pleases and thank you's IME.

Feb. 9, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

Didn't mean to seem like I was criticizing you! :)

ditto

Feb. 9, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

I've always been treated like shit by our border guys, and with nothing but friendliness and good manners by the American guys.

No idea what's up with the hostility, as far as I know I act the same with both of em. Recently I've taken a more "military subordinate" approach with the Canadians, as folks in positions of authority seem to like it when you show them that you know they have authority. Works with cops so I figure I'll try it with our guys as it seems like an assertion of authority thing.

Although it may just be a cultural thing, (broad generalization incoming) Americans are way friendlier and make real quick with the sir's and m'am's and pleases and thank you's IME.

this is exactly it…yes sir, no sir, thank you sir (or mam, as required)….but yeah, Canadian border guards have always been way more dickish in my over 30 years of semi-regular experience, huge assholes who want you to know they're important to themselves.

Feb. 9, 2016, 12:13 p.m.

Yup, and make sure your avocados have USA! stickers on them. Even if one does and the other doesn't, its considered an illegal and headed to the border kitchen.

Also true for oranges.

Edit: Also, fire wood going across the border in either direction is a big no.

Feb. 9, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

This is really interesting because I've ridden Galby multiple times and have come back with a very muddy bike. Never had a problem with it, but you never know depending on the type of day CBSA Officer is having.

Could also be the time spent in the Nexus line is far less than that on the regular line up, so Officer doesn't have as much time to observe the bike?

Professional Lurker

Feb. 9, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

been over the border many times, never had this issue.

it's kinda weird, if your bike wasn't dirty, could they not be able to try and insist that you bought it down there?

Feb. 10, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

Heard about this problem, so when we right Galbraith we stop by here to wash the bikes off, just off the highway. Since it's high pressure I only half squeeze the triggers and don't go near the seals/bearings.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/sunset-car-wash-bellingham

Feb. 11, 2016, 5:35 a.m.

it's kinda weird, if your bike wasn't dirty, could they not be able to try and insist that you bought it down there?

This.

Either way, they fuck you at the drive through.