Perfect do-it-all bike?

Sept. 19, 2007, 8:53 p.m.

Since it's Make-a-wish, and not going to cost him anything, I say go with a Foes Fly, equiped w/ Ti Curnut. Bling!

It's a skookum bikey, and he will love it.

If not that? Bottlerocket.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Sept. 19, 2007, 9:28 p.m.

Can he get a custom built bike or does it have to be one straight out of a shop ? If he can then he should get a cove std frame and get it built up with top of the line everything.

Congrats on the recovery

Sept. 19, 2007, 9:28 p.m.

Seems to be a lot of Knolly shareholders posting lately…

Sept. 19, 2007, 9:32 p.m.

intense socom maybe? small and light yet built to go fast, theres a bunch of options some less pricy then others

Sept. 20, 2007, 3:40 a.m.

Norco Shore and Six

I'd highly recommended either of these bikes.

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Sept. 20, 2007, 8:45 a.m.

there is no such thing as do it all bike.

That's only partly true. It really depends on what you want to get out of the bike. I have one bike that I have done 8 hour epics and also DJ'd and raced DH on, I notice a couple of limitations with it, but not enough to make me wish I had a bike for every occasion.
If money is an object, Norco's offerings are amazing value for money. If money is no object, then I would say the Knolly is as good as it gets.

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:09 a.m.

Seems to be a lot of Knolly owners posting lately…

that's better.

this thread does have the word "perfect" in it, you know.

as much as i like a Nomad, SX Trail or Norco Six, none are nearly as close to perfection as the Knolly DT is … but also not everyone is as picky so you may not agree …

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:19 a.m.

that's better.

this thread does have the word "perfect" in it, you know.

as much as i like a Nomad, SX Trail or Norco Six, none are nearly as close to perfection as the Knolly DT is … but also not everyone is as picky so you may not agree …

Why do you think the Knolly DT is closer to perfection than any of the Nomad, SX Trail or Norco Six?

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:30 a.m.

^^ everyone thinks their bike is perfect.
especially if they spent a lot of money on it.

Chirp

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:41 a.m.

I like the SX Trail II (2008 model) I believe he will be happy with whichever bike he likes most and will get used to the feel of that bike. And if he really likes the bike, he'll ride it more too… so just like so many people before me said, let him see as much as you can and let him make that choice.

umm I do not agree with this advice AT ALL. It is so important as a beginner you need to know what type of bike to buy - especially as you really have no idea what kind of movement momentum and set up you need for your body and especially since you don't even know what kind of riding turns you on yet. I just met a tiny lady on the shore and she was a beginner sporting a V10 with 888's outta the paper and couldn't ride it - she bought it cos that's what all her guy friends had. Couldn't get any momentum on any little up and overs etc. She bought it cos it was good deal for the price - which it was - for a hucker.

Its REALLY important to do your background research on say how many days you will be in the Whis Bike park, do you want to push or ride up Fromme? do you want to concentrate on skinnies and technical or are you going to go for jumps gaps and drops?! You will always love a new purchase but if you don't know any better you will not know how much better it could be with the right bike and the right set up.

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:42 a.m.

Why do you think the Knolly DT is closer to perfection than any of the Nomad, SX Trail or Norco Six?

mainly because of the adjustability (headangle adjustments and chainstay length down to 16.4"). and i wanted a full seat tube.

no one else offers all that … but again, not everyone cares about being able to change a bikes angles and length between xc and dh styles …

Sept. 20, 2007, 9:43 a.m.

I want the STD as a born and raised Deep Cove girl! (but perhaps not with the totems as I am hearing bad things?) and the Knolly DT makes me swoon but man Knolly's are a lot of cashola…..what about the zealot? the 2008 model looks pretty nice - a lot lighter now too. or the Transition Covert, rocky SXC?

Sept. 20, 2007, 10:03 a.m.

since '98, when i first started investing thought into my bikes with 'freeride' in mind, i have ridden the following:

Zaskar with 4" dc; Bullit with 5" sc; Morphine with 6" sc; and a Gemini with 7" sc.

i am currently on a 2007 Ransom 30 (aluminum).

the Ransom is everything i've been searching for.

i can keep a reasonble pace with the XC guys on the singletrack climbs around here, which routinely include 1500+ feet of up.

the bike held up to 50+ dh runs, a thrashing at tamarack, and multiple excursions into the uncharted.

check out reviews from decline, mba, and bike from the last year (bear in mind the aluminum Ransoms have a 1 degree slacker head angle).

the only thing i'd change on this bike would be going from a 36 to a 36 talas to match the travel adjustments of the rear.

3.5" to 6.5" on a bar mounted thumb lever is something to behold.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

Sept. 20, 2007, 10:38 a.m.

umm I do not agree with this advice AT ALL. It is so important as a beginner you need to know what type of bike to buy - especially as you really have no idea what kind of movement momentum and set up you need for your body and especially since you don't even know what kind of riding turns you on yet. I just met a tiny lady on the shore and she was a beginner sporting a V10 with 888's outta the paper and couldn't ride it - she bought it cos that's what all her guy friends had. Couldn't get any momentum on any little up and overs etc. She bought it cos it was good deal for the price - which it was - for a hucker.

Its REALLY important to do your background research on say how many days you will be in the Whis Bike park, do you want to push or ride up Fromme? do you want to concentrate on skinnies and technical or are you going to go for jumps gaps and drops?! You will always love a new purchase but if you don't know any better you will not know how much better it could be with the right bike and the right set up.

Good points. I don't agree with some of them, but due to lack of experience on my part, I'll just leave it at this and hopefully learn better with time.

Testy, I really think this should be done at night while most of the local population is sleeping. There's no way the lower mainland will get enough oxygen with the two of us wheezing our way up Cardiac. I'd likely need a shuttle to get back down.

Sept. 20, 2007, 12:12 p.m.

Perfect… nothing is perfect… but you can get close, so throw another vote in for the Knolly Delerium T.

With all of the adjustability, design and build quality that the frame has to offer, it is a tough one to beat. Plus with a price difference of only a few hundred more then the SX Trail frame, or the Nomad frame, it really is worth it.

Oh ya, and they're local, and Noel is a pretty cool guy.

I bought my Delerium late in last winter, to complete my 3 bike quiver…. only problem is, I cant find a bike to complement it… it makes everything seem like they aren't finished bikes… and that includes the new Demo 8 that I sold, and a Foes Mono that I sold… The Delerium does it all way too well. In the end I've saved thousands, by not having a second dually.

If you are wondering why all the Knolly owners seem fired up… that's cuz we are. I have yet to ever talk to anyone who has negative things to say about their frames.

Have Fun
T