Perfect do-it-all bike?

Sept. 19, 2007, 10:39 a.m.

My nephew is, due to a bout of childhood cancer that he pulled through, eligible to receive a wish from the Make a Wish foundation. He's decided to ask for a top of the line freeride bike, and wants some advice on what to get. He's 14, tall and slim for his age, and wants a bike that can go anywhere. I suggested he look at the:

SX Trail
Demo 8
Nomad
Norco Shore and Six
Brodie Diablo
Reign X
Switch

Am I missing any? Out of those, which would you rate the highest?

Sept. 19, 2007, 10:45 a.m.

congrats on his recovery!

Brodie Zealot
Norco Fluid
Consider the Slayer over the Switch

He should test ride a bunch and see which one fits him.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 19, 2007, 10:54 a.m.

Knolly Delirium if cost is no object.

Or maybe the Endorphin if he's really light.

Sept. 19, 2007, 10:56 a.m.

transition covert

Sept. 19, 2007, 11:15 a.m.

Intense tazer or the 5.5 evp?
Orange 5
orange patriot

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Sept. 19, 2007, 11:15 a.m.

yeah Knolly Delerium T would be top choice, and build it up light for his size!

also Norco Six [HTML_REMOVED] SX Trail

Sept. 19, 2007, 3:45 p.m.

I absolutely love my Nomad as a do-it-all bike. I ride everything from XC to taking it to a DH race. The Norco Shore or Norco Six are both most excellent bikes, and so is the SX Trail. Everyone I hear riding a Delerium T says they love it, and the same can be said for the Devinci Frantic.

Like previously mentioned, get him to try out a bunch of different options. Fit and feel are going to be important.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 19, 2007, 4:36 p.m.

Cove Std = Great Everywhere

Sept. 19, 2007, 4:36 p.m.

bone density is 1 year delayed than height growth, so your nephew, should be light. Get him the transition double. there is no such thing as do it all bike. People say "yeah i can pedal very well on my slopestyle, downhill, bmx bike", but that's mainly due to their fitness, just get him something flickable like a hardtail, and strong.

Sept. 19, 2007, 4:39 p.m.

Congratulations on his recovery, it is always nice to hear stories like this - there is always hope.

I like the SX Trail II (2008 model) but purely on looks, can't give any constructive feedback as I am too new to the sport. I believe he will be happy with whichever bike he likes most and will get used to the feel of that bike. And if he really likes the bike, he'll ride it more too… so just like so many people before me said, let him see as much as you can and let him make that choice.

Good luck.

Testy, I really think this should be done at night while most of the local population is sleeping. There's no way the lower mainland will get enough oxygen with the two of us wheezing our way up Cardiac. I'd likely need a shuttle to get back down.

Sept. 19, 2007, 4:43 p.m.

Either a Iron Horse 7 point or 6 point for me would be the perfect bike. The 7 is a bit burlier than the 6, so depending on what you ride more of you can tailor it.

Excellent news on the recovery. All to often we hear the negative side of that disease and not enough positives like this. Awesome.

Sept. 19, 2007, 5:54 p.m.

knolly is a great option, especially since they offer the grow program, where you can swap out the front triangle of your nephew's mtb for a larger one as he grows.

details here:
http://knollybikes.com/bike-support/grow-program.aspx

local company that makes really nice bikes, and they support local trails.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Sept. 19, 2007, 6:36 p.m.

knolly is a great option, especially since they offer the grow program, where you can swap out the front triangle of your nephew's mtb for a larger one as he grows.

details here:

wow thats ana masing concept..very cool.

still my dollar is with the norco six.

Sept. 19, 2007, 7:05 p.m.

details here:

Wow, if I had the cash flow I'd buy a Knolly for all the awesome stuff they seem to be doing, not to mention the impeccable quality and craftsmanship of their frames. :cool:

Sept. 19, 2007, 8:17 p.m.

Bottlerocket, can't go wrong and it won't break the bank.