NSMB - 2012 Light DH Bike Build Off 7"+

Aug. 11, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

yup, that'll do

comes in at 34.9, can't wait to see how it feels

Quoting since it seems like the trendy thing to do.

Aug. 11, 2012, 9:53 p.m.

Same thing happens to my saddle,I'm pretty sure it's my massive nut sack:rocker:or ass:(

I thought it was my fat ass. I'll go with nutsack!

Aug. 28, 2012, 11:35 p.m.

39.75lbs with DH tires and regular tubes….not light but I love it :)

Sept. 11, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

55 RC3Ti's installed :dizzy:

Feels good. Dunno the weight. Just need to sort out some different pedals and chase Rose/Madison for my SLX rear brake (WORST customer service ever, by the way).

Sept. 11, 2012, 7:22 a.m.

Bullit's back and feeling good. Not vastly different from last time but got a Sunline chainguide and bars and an XT rear mech. So odd after riding only bmx and hardtail for ages though. Sold the Domains as I was inbetween coil weights. Will eventually get air Lyriks or similar. Needs better brakes as well, Juicy 5s keep having sticky pistons and needing bleeding all the time. And the pedals are temporary.

Wow it's crazy to see an older bike and how high the BB looks by current standards!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 11, 2012, 7:35 a.m.

haha yeah I'm used to a high BB though as my HT is also pretty high. I like it anyway, jumps nicely and the only time I notice the high bb is in tighter corners. Do still want a Bottlerocket or Dartmoor Wish though but they're all so expensive and this is still fun to ride!

Also I need to lose a bit more weight so I can use the fork with no air preload, it feels pretty good but as some reviews said a little "notchy" with air in.

Nov. 18, 2012, 6:32 p.m.

A last place entry in many ways. But my new to me cove I got less then most people paid for their suspension in this thread.

Bathroom scale says 44 pounds. So yes it will be going on a diet. Suggestions on some cost effective ways to drop some serious weight will be listened too. Also I need a 500x3.25 spring for the back.

Nov. 18, 2012, 7:53 p.m.

Start with a Ti spring. If you have DH tubes in there get them out.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8 p.m.

Start with a Ti spring. If you have DH tubes in there get them out.

how much weight will a ti spring save?

Also mtx and ringle hubs seem like they'd be heavy. Same with tires and tubes.

I was thinking a wheelset might be my first move.

ti springs are 250$

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:10 p.m.

Shockers are heavy. Getting them to 40lbs is a feat in itself. The good thing is, they ride amazing regardless of the weight. Holly Feniak probably weighs a buck-ten and the most and she doesn't seem to have a problem going really fucking fast on one. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you're dead set of spending some money the biggest boat anchors I see there are those Diabolus cranks and stem. Find some used late model Saints and a direct mount stem for the Boxxer. It doesn't really matter what kind, they're all pretty light. Those old E13 bashguards weigh more than most newer chainguide/bash combos together. That saddle is probably a lunker too.The wheelset isn't light but they take a beating pretty well. It'll be pretty easy to drop 2 or 3 pounds, it gets more expensive after that. Ti springs are pretty low on the benefit/$$ ratio. It should be one of the last things.

By the way, the bathroom scale is about as accurate as a pinkbike ruler.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

^^what he said. A ti spring might save a half pound or so, but the cost is high.
As dave said, those cranks, chain guide,seat and stem weigh a ton. Those pedals aren't doing you any favours either and are pretty thick too. Once you've changed them, look at the wheelset. Depending on how and where you ride, you might be able to use some 1.5 ply tires, but they often aren't the best place to lose weight on a dh bike.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:40 p.m.

I've had great luck with these wheels this season:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76173

the weight, durability and price all make them a big winner. In my opinion, that's where you'll actually notice the weight change.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 18, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Shockers are heavy. Getting them to 40lbs is a feat in itself. The good thing is, they ride amazing regardless of the weight. Holly Feniak probably weighs a buck-ten and the most and she doesn't seem to have a problem going really fucking fast on one. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you're dead set of spending some money the biggest boat anchors I see there are those Diabolus cranks and stem. Find some used late model Saints and a direct mount stem for the Boxxer. It doesn't really matter what kind, they're all pretty light. Those old E13 bashguards weigh more than most newer chainguide/bash combos together. That saddle is probably a lunker too.The wheelset isn't light but they take a beating pretty well. It'll be pretty easy to drop 2 or 3 pounds, it gets more expensive after that. Ti springs are pretty low on the benefit/$$ ratio. It should be one of the last things.

By the way, the bathroom scale is about as accurate as a pinkbike ruler.

Hones are 100 grams lighter and similar price. They seem decent?

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:29 p.m.

First things I see that need replacing for cheap weight saving:

- Get some NRG Hippy Killer pedals from Dunbar.
- Cheapo Ti rail saddles are easy to find for under $40. Will save you around 100-140g over that current tank
- Direct mount stem, probs $40 somewhere (Dunbar for the truvativ one?) will save you another 100g
- Go ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape and a bottle of Stan's latex. Save the DH tubes for the valves. Cut them out and leave 1 square inch. Install valve and then tape over it. Cut a small "X" cut where the valve is. Tubeless for $25. Save 400g.
- Cranks are next. Those are 1100g cranks and that guide is super heavy. Install someone's used Atlas cranks and buy a LG1 (steel backplate, used of course) for another 400g savings.

That's 1000g, or 2.2lbs for $200-$250 if you shop smart. Good return for your money. After that, you've hopefully trashed your wheels (unlikely since they are strong….) you can get a $400 hope/flow wheelset off someone on NSMB or PB and probably lose another 300-400g.

Nov. 19, 2012, 7:15 a.m.

Hones are 100 grams lighter and similar price. They seem decent?

Can't get Hones in an 83mm bottom bracket

Ken is bang on with the comments above.