New Evil 6" 29er: The Wreckoning

Dec. 3, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

Had an insurgent for a while now. I can't say the seat angle has been an issue and i'm 6'2". I built it and did some short rides and then jumped on plane for 2 weeks of pedalling pretty big days in Peru. I haven't noticed that it was any different from my Bronson( I've owned )or any Nomad( i have test ridden).

Are you on a Large or an XL? The STA issue seems to affect those who 'downsize' to a frame that is smaller than what they would normally choose based on the reach numbers. It does seem from all reports that these new Evils ride and climb better than they should based on the geometry numbers! I imagine it becomes more of a handful on technical ups as opposed to smoother climbs?

Dec. 3, 2015, 6:45 p.m.

I just recently switched to a Kona Process 111, and I have to say I'm in love with it. It's the first 29er I've ever owned.

Like most, I think I had a preconception that 29ers are jalopies, for XC only, flexy wheels, you name it. This bike rips though, and it was one of the first of the new breed of long, low, slack 29ers. It's interesting that this trend towards progressive geometry 29ers started on the short end of the travel spectrum, and is now moving into the longer range stuff.

At 6' tall, and as the geo numbers get more progressive, I can't see myself switching back to a 26/27.5 wheel any time soon. I only wish I'd given this new breed of 29ers a chance earlier!

For reference I'm coming off of a Process 153 that I've been on since late 2013 and for the type of shore riding I do, I find i'm faster in all aspects of my riding now. Uphill and down. The big wheels just want to pull you over and through everything!

Tempted with a 111 as a smaller bike , I love my 167, not sure I would like that small of a bike though travel wise .

What size are you riding I have a medium and it fits like a glove .

The 134 is tempting with a 150mm Lyrik up front would make a nice ride IMO they are available as a frame set as well now .

Maybe Kona will do a 140/150 29er Process down the road .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 3, 2015, 10:36 p.m.

not even close

i'm sure its a great bike, but kona were late to the party

:orly:

I said long, low, and slack. Too bad all three of your examples are shorter, higher and steeper than the 111 (save for the banshee's adjustable HA)… I also said one of the first, not the first.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 3, 2015, 10:40 p.m.

Tempted with a 111 as a smaller bike , I love my 167, not sure I would like that small of a bike though travel wise .

What size are you riding I have a medium and it fits like a glove .

The 134 is tempting with a 150mm Lyrik up front would make a nice ride IMO they are available as a frame set as well now .

Maybe Kona will do a 140/150 29er Process down the road .

It's deceptively capable, considering it has "XC" amounts of travel. I'd for sure give one a test ride if you can. It would be a great compliment to the 167. Go with a medium.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 3, 2015, 11:29 p.m.

I said long, low, and slack. Too bad all three of your examples are shorter, higher and steeper than the 111 (save for the banshee's adjustable HA)… I also said one of the first, not the first.

hta / bb drop / wheelbase (size large)
process: 68 / 35mm / 1173
sj evo: 68
/ 35mm / 1183
prime: 67.5 / ? / 1185mm
bandit: 68.5
/ 36.7mm /1161mm

did you run the numbers or pull that claim out of thin air? as you can see, the process is neither the longest, slackest or lowest bike in the bunch. i can't find the bb drop for the prime but i had one for a few years and it was LOW - i'd be willing to bet it beats the process on all 3 counts. and it came out 3 years before the process, which is a lifetime in mtb years

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 3, 2015, 11:56 p.m.

not even close

i'm sure its a great bike, but kona were late to the party

Looking at those chainstays, I don't thing they wanted to go to that party:rocker:

Dec. 4, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

It's deceptively capable, considering it has "XC" amounts of travel. I'd for sure give one a test ride if you can. It would be a great compliment to the 167. Go with a medium.

The 14/15 Camber Evo is the better bike.

In fact apart from the new Stumpy I'm still not sure there is a better all round bike.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 4, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

there is. it's made by Transition and called the Smuggler.

Dec. 4, 2015, 9:18 a.m.

Has Spesh shortened up the back end of their bikes at all?

I went from a Stumpjumper (26") to a Tallboy and found that the Tallboy was way snappier handling. It also plowed better, despite having less travel. More plow AND more agility = win.

The Camber and Epics I've ridden were the same way: great at plowing forward, so very fast, but not exactly nimble or fun. I held off buying a niner because I thought they all rode that way. Then I tried the Tallboy…

I'm scared of a new Tallboy (LT this time). Slacker HA, tune up the suspension a bit, a bit longer in the top tube, more travel than my current Tallboy? My poor wallet…

Oh, and I bet the Evil is awesome. A couple buddies have the Following and absolutely love it. Personally the brand is dead to me - no need to take a risk on a brand that's proven to be incompetent in the past when there are so many good well-backed bikes out there.

Dec. 4, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

Rear centre of the Tallboy is the same as 15 Specialized's (Stumpy/Camber).

The 16 Specialized's are 12mm shorter rear centre.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 4, 2015, 11:15 a.m.

hta / bb drop / wheelbase (size large)
process: 68 / 35mm / 1173
sj evo: 68
/ 35mm / 1183
prime: 67.5 / ? / 1185mm
bandit: 68.5
/ 36.7mm /1161mm

did you run the numbers or pull that claim out of thin air? as you can see, the process is neither the longest, slackest or lowest bike in the bunch. i can't find the bb drop for the prime but i had one for a few years and it was LOW - i'd be willing to bet it beats the process on all 3 counts. and it came out 3 years before the process, which is a lifetime in mtb years

Nope, I didn't pull the claim out of thin air. I looked at different numbers that I feel are more important to judge how a bike will ride. It's completely subjective, so there is that.

I also included the Kona Satori, as it's the same vintage as your selected bikes. Who's late to the party again?? ;)

Here's the numbers I looked at:

hta/bb height (off the ground)/reach [HTML_REMOVED] stack (length/height of cockpit for standing descending) (size large)

- process 111: 68 / 335mm / 460mm [HTML_REMOVED] 617mm
- satori: 68
/ 338mm / 440mm [HTML_REMOVED] 638mm

- stumpy EVO: 68 / 335mm / 435mm [HTML_REMOVED] 643mm (same ha, bb height, shorter/higher reach [HTML_REMOVED] stack)
- prime: 67.5-68.5
/ 336-348mm / 440mm [HTML_REMOVED] 645mm (ha can be slacker, bb height higher, shorter/higher reach [HTML_REMOVED] stack)
- bandit: 68.5* / 333mm / 414mm(!) [HTML_REMOVED] 647mm (steeper ha, lower bb, much shorter/higher reach [HTML_REMOVED] stack)

Not accounting for stack numbers, to get the same-ish position for standing decending as the Process 111 with a stock 40mm stem you would have to run: 60mm stem on the Banshee, 65mm stem on the Stumpy, and 85mm(barf) stem on the Bandit. No thanks, I'll stick with my 111.

The new Banshee Phantom looks cool with comparable ha/bb/reach[HTML_REMOVED]stack and the new Transition Smuggler is basically a clone of the 111.

At the end of the day, I'd like to check out the new Evil, as I'd be curious to see how it rides, but the capable, short travel 29er is just a super fun type of bike.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 4, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

I just recently switched to a Kona Process 111, and I have to say I'm in love with it. It's the first 29er I've ever owned.

Like most, I think I had a preconception that 29ers are jalopies, for XC only, flexy wheels, you name it. This bike rips though, and it was one of the first of the new breed of long, low, slack 29ers. It's interesting that this trend towards progressive geometry 29ers started on the short end of the travel spectrum, and is now moving into the longer range stuff.

At 6' tall, and as the geo numbers get more progressive, I can't see myself switching back to a 26/27.5 wheel any time soon. I only wish I'd given this new breed of 29ers a chance earlier!

For reference I'm coming off of a Process 153 that I've been on since late 2013 and for the type of shore riding I do, I find i'm faster in all aspects of my riding now. Uphill and down. The big wheels just want to pull you over and through everything!

Are you riding the 111 with the fork at the stock 120mm?

Dec. 4, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

Are you riding the 111 with the fork at the stock 120mm?

Yep, plus two tokens. Six tokens total, but four come installed from the factory at 120mm of travel. I roll most stuff, and rarely hit significant drops, but I'm still a big guy in riding gear. I was bottoming it with no tokens, but I've got a little in reserve with the two tokens installed now. 25% sag.

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 4, 2015, 1:09 p.m.

Shit yeah! That the Evil is running a shock that isn't a Monarch.

The Following and the Phantom were two wagon wheelers I would consider stripping my Surface for parts.

At 5'9" I don't believe I bring enough dawg to the fight for some of the longer travel flavours of 29er bikes.

Isn't this Evil suppose to be a part of the new Mega Enduro category of bikes?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 4, 2015, 3:11 p.m.

Shit yeah! That the Evil is running a shock that isn't a Monarch.

I believe magazine photo is from the "Editor's dream build", and it's running a PUSH ElevenSix…

Ride, don't slide.