MTB 4X Weight Weenie thread..

Dec. 26, 2008, 8:38 a.m.

I had a DMR speedguide a few years back. it was the biggest piece of shit ever. that lower arm bends like cheese, and the upper allows plenty of room for the chain to derail and get hopelessly jammed

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 26, 2008, 1:30 p.m.

Was never about weight though. Rides fun. Can hit the park too.

Dec. 26, 2008, 2:41 p.m.

That Riot is so sick.

I was going to rebuild my P3 with gears and a front brake (to stack it up against the REAL race bikes in this thread), but I just noticed today the frame is cracked, so any money I could've spent on gears and the like is now directed towards a new frame and fork rebuild.

Dec. 26, 2008, 4:30 p.m.

that's a very nice build, love everything except the red stem.

Dec. 26, 2008, 6:52 p.m.

that's a very nice build, love everything except the red stem.

my only nit to pick is the mismatched wheels. for some reason that always bugs me.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 26, 2008, 6:57 p.m.

Oh me too, sucks. I've built the front wheel, so thats fixed. Have to find a nice stem to go on. And the fork lowers were ment to be black, so pissed about tjhat.

Dec. 26, 2008, 7:04 p.m.

Oh me too, sucks. I've built the front wheel, so thats fixed. Have to find a nice stem to go on. And the fork lowers were ment to be black, so pissed about tjhat.

gotcha.

we built up a 2009 Norco 125 with an Argyle 302, dual 5.1d's, larsens, devo saddle, MG-1s, and a hussy bar/stem at the shop. got the thing sub-30 with full gears, guide, and two brakes. looks damn hot, and rides so nice.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 26, 2008, 7:12 p.m.

Nice machinery. Do they make 4X edition riots with vertical dropouts and chainguide mounts or is that for the Mob only?

Dec. 26, 2008, 7:36 p.m.

gotcha.

we built up a 2009 Norco 125 with an Argyle 302, dual 5.1d's, larsens, devo saddle, MG-1s, and a hussy bar/stem at the shop. got the thing sub-30 with full gears, guide, and two brakes. looks damn hot, and rides so nice.

That was almost the path I was about to go on the same bike too! But with pikes.

Then the riot frame fell into my lap- swapped it for a bmx.

Dec. 26, 2008, 7:40 p.m.

Nice machinery. Do they make 4X edition riots with vertical dropouts and chainguide mounts or is that for the Mob only?

Only the mob I think. And its hardly worth it as they sell a hanger for a riot anyway. One big issue is that you cant run much bigger than a 32t. You may be able to use a 34 or 36 on the outer spot on the cranks. Getting my setup to work with a 32 and and sts backplate with lg1 plastics was very painful.

Jan. 6, 2009, 5:45 p.m.

Since I found a steal of a deal on a short cage X.0, I've decided to gear up my ride. I'll be swapping back to singlespeed every so often, running a 6 speed cassette (something like 20-11 I'm thinking) on my Pro 2 T/SS. Up front, 3-piece cranks, Primo Powerbites with a 22mm spindle. So as things stand…

Derailleur - SRAM X.0, short cage
Cassette - for the time being, a used one off of a friend, I'll weigh it and see what can be lost. Until then, any suggestions? (easily modifiable is a plus)
Shifter - 2006ish X9, off a friend. Is there anything significant to be lost in the shifter department or should I just leave 'er be?
Shifter cable - Some Jagwire, previously hooked up to a Shimano shifter.
Chainguide - Boxguide + drillium, or, if I can find it, SRS + drillium. No bash.
Chain - whatever I can find, may upgrade in the future. Anything I should either avoid or go for? I'm clueless in this department
Sprocket - Toughie, it has to be a BMX sprocket but also play nice with a 9 speed chain. Looking at the Profile Imperial, anyone know of any other sprockets that fit the bill? 22mm spindle, 30-32 teeth.

I already have the chainguide and cable, and I'm on a fairly strict budget. Thanks.

Jan. 7, 2009, 11:36 a.m.

my only nit to pick is the mismatched wheels. for some reason that always bugs me.

visually not so great, but it makes a lot of sense. Front rims take much less of a pounding. And having a light front end makes the bike feel more maneuverable

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 13, 2009, 4:07 p.m.

Just take the decals off the rims, it makes the difference much less noticable. Plus the clean black rim looks, well, clean and black, a look that I like.

Jan. 13, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

hmm I should weigh the Lopes machine in my garage…custom GT with lotsa little carbon bits and thingys…

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Jan. 31, 2009, 12:30 p.m.

I plan on building up a new DJ / 4X bike pretty soon and Chainreaction offers the Kenda Small Block 8 at a very reasonable price. They're only available in 1.95" width so I'm a little concerned they might be too narrow. I'd order one as a rear tire - will I be fine riding it or will it actually be too narrow?