Long travel 29er for the shore?

July 9, 2016, 4:56 p.m.

Hi all,

I find myself bikeless after selling due to injury, but I am also shopping and hoping to pick something up in September/ October.

Any of you have thoughts on the new generation of long travel 29ers and how they perform on our local trails. I find myself gravitating to trails like Boogieman and Ladies locally, and Treasure, Rupert, High Society, 99er in Squamish and Whistler.

I tried a Rocky Instinct on Seymour and found it fun, but wanted something with a bit more travel and a bit slacker headtube angle for the steep stuff.

I'm liking the look of the YT Jeffsy and the Santa Cruz Hightower.

Help me NSMB…

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

July 9, 2016, 5:24 p.m.

I absolutely adore my long travel 29er on the Shore (Sworks Enduro).

The new bikes climb way better than you'd expect. They're light and while they don't climb as well as an XC bike, they're not far enough behind that I choose my XC bike instead. My XC bike sits ignored now that I have my E29.

And then when it's time to descend, they'll do all but the worst (best?) trails on the shore with confidence. I wish I had a DH bike for 5th but I'm sure I'll be able to clear all of it on my E29 soon (still not there!) and there's no way I'd climb up BLT on a DH bike!

I think that the new LT 29ers are a great choice for the shore.

July 9, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

Canfield Bros Riot is worth looking into it,s 140mm , Banshee has the Prime it,s 135mm and it can be run with a 160mm fork .

The Jeffsy looks killer , no ISCG tabs on the bb from what I read in Decline last month .
Other than that for the time they had ( few hrs ) it worked well .

I have been looking for a similar bike and this has popped up on my radar for bikes .

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 9, 2016, 9:31 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/evil-bikes-the-wreckoning-first-look-core-bike-2016.html

Evil wreckoning?

Shed head!

July 9, 2016, 10:15 p.m.

I absolutely adore my long travel 29er on the Shore (Sworks Enduro).

The new bikes climb way better than you'd expect. They're light and while they don't climb as well as an XC bike, they're not far enough behind that I choose my XC bike instead. My XC bike sits ignored now that I have my E29.

And then when it's time to descend, they'll do all but the worst (best?) trails on the shore with confidence. I wish I had a DH bike for 5th but I'm sure I'll be able to clear all of it on my E29 soon (still not there!) and there's no way I'd climb up BLT on a DH bike!

I think that the new LT 29ers are a great choice for the shore.

I have an Enduro 29er as well and love it… compared to my previous 26 inch 6x6 AM bike, the enduro 29er climbs and descends WAY better. Almost descends as well as my DH bike… I would get rid of my DH bike but don't want to beat the shit out of the Enduro 29er too much.

July 10, 2016, 12:13 a.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/evil-bikes-the-wreckoning-first-look-core-bike-2016.html

Evil wreckoning?

The Wreckoning looks killer, I rode my buddies Following and really liked it. Evil are $$$ right now.

Priced one out on Fanatiks site and it was about 7000 USD

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

July 10, 2016, 11:46 a.m.

My three picks would be Wreckoning, Yeti SB5.5c and the soon to be released Trek Slash 29. Or get slightly eccentric and purchase a Scott Genius LT 700 Tuned Plus and swap the wheels for 29ers! :rave:

I can't believe how long it took for people to believe/get behind 29ers for aggressive riding. Then we had to wait for companies to a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶g̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶2̶9̶e̶r̶s̶ push 650B bikes heavily as the next best thing. Followed by this whole plus thing that is happening. When said aggro 29ers are finally released the keyboard warriors all ask "If the frame will be 27.5+ compatible since it is Boost 148?" Smh. This is why we can't have nice things!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 10, 2016, 10:54 p.m.

Cove still have some leftover Kona Satori frames, practically giving them away. Bring your own shock. For the price of one of the recent frames listed, you can build up a complete Satori with pretty Gucci kit

It's not the latest and greatest, but guys run them happily with 150-160mm forks, 130mm rear. Fairly stout platform, 68* stock HA with 130mm fork and reasonably long reach with shortish CS. They were well ahead of the 29 geometry back in the day, and numbers still match up decently well by today's standards.

*edit fits front derailleur, no Boost, and 27.5+ compatible also

July 10, 2016, 11:23 p.m.

Banshee Prime is a kickass bike, it loves to be ridden hard and fast. Been riding mine for 3 years now…not one issue, still on the original frame bearings! I have broken every full suspension bike I have ridden except my old Transition Dirtbag freeride bike…and this awesome Banshee Prime and none I have ridden for this long…so…yeah, it's strong too!

I do have new bike-itis though and have test ridden a few bikes and none are better than my bike…so I am sticking with it, I actually am thinking about getting the '16 frame for the new geometry tweaks….I just love this bike.

With that said I am a total gear whore and I have been keeping an eye on what I call Awesome 29ers and putting them all in a shitty little spreadsheet. Here is a link to it if you want to check out a poorly edited and unfinished spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-gbMiY245cyiSocA0abzRZBhU32NWmjlvpp38O1gABc/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: I should say these measurements are all in the largest size and in the steep setting (if the bike has different settings).

July 11, 2016, 1:18 p.m.

I'm selling my Medium Wreckoning if you're interested.
http://www.pinkbike.com/u/theedon/buysell/

July 11, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

^why so soon? have yet to ride one, but love the idea of it.

granted, the following would probably suit me better as an all rounder.

July 11, 2016, 1:39 p.m.

^^^ that Wreckoning though.

That's the bike right there. My god. Look at that bike!!!!

If it fits, /endthread

July 11, 2016, 3:13 p.m.

^why so soon? have yet to ride one, but love the idea of it.

granted, the following would probably suit me better as an all rounder.

The Following is plenty of bike for the shore with the exception of the fastest and more chundery trails. It is shocking how much you can throw at that bike.

Jon-boy.

July 11, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

Wait for the new Enduro and Slash 29's.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 11, 2016, 8:59 p.m.

I'm selling my Medium Wreckoning if you're interested.
http://www.pinkbike.com/u/theedon/buysell/

Hyperbole aside; why the sale? What other bikes do you have?

If it wasn't blue and priced in USD I'd more than consider

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.