Lights - 2014-15 season (merged)

Nov. 3, 2014, 8:51 a.m.

Lightmalls for back to me, the package for returned to them so the had to send it off again, new tracking numbers and it looks like it is in Mississauga….

I'm thinking you need to have another coffee this morning.

Nov. 7, 2014, 11:10 a.m.

Anyone else find Night Riding 376x as challenging as riding in the daylight? Perhaps I need more lumens.
:damn:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 7, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

Anyone else find Night Riding 376x as challenging as riding in the daylight? Perhaps I need more lumens.

Not really… I think you need more POWER…

Nov. 7, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

Yeah…I think I need more flood/width. I keep questioning if I know where I am because the trails look bloody different at night. I think there's a tunnel vision thing going on. Could be my aged decrepid brain too.
:dog:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 7, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

One light mounted low, and one high, will help a lot with definition. For example, light on the bars and on the helmet.

Halogen lights tend to make colors more orange.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 7, 2014, 2:51 p.m.

You need to close your eyes more… but yes it is harder, thats what makes it fun!

Nov. 7, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

You need to close your eyes more… but yes it is harder, thats what makes it fun!

Oh yeah, it's fun. I'll give it that. But man, there's no flow for me. Constant stopping, going slow and crashing where I have no idea what the hell I hit. And that's with a light on the lid and the bars. I used to be lid only and than was a total shit show. Also I'm on a hardtail which, IMO, makes things a bit trickier in that you got to be at the right speed to clear stuff but being at the "right speed" when you're being disoriented by strange reflections, shadows and a tunnel of light can be a challenge. And this is just in the parking lot. :D

So I definitely need more lumens and I think a wider beam.

And balls. I need more balls.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 7, 2014, 4:02 p.m.

There are lenses that replace the magicshine lens that change the beam pattern.

They are dirt cheap and work on several different brands of lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9zIGTfgGw[HTML_REMOVED]noredirect=1

http://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-Gemini-Lights-Headlight-Includes/dp/B004WLCLQY

Just bought a couple and going to try them.

Nov. 7, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

Oh yeah, it's fun. I'll give it that. But man, there's no flow for me. Constant stopping, going slow and crashing where I have no idea what the hell I hit. And that's with a light on the lid and the bars. I used to be lid only and than was a total shit show. Also I'm on a hardtail which, IMO, makes things a bit trickier in that you got to be at the right speed to clear stuff but being at the "right speed" when you're being disoriented by strange reflections, shadows and a tunnel of light can be a challenge. And this is just in the parking lot. :D

So I definitely need more lumens and I think a wider beam.

And balls. I need more balls.

you need moar light

the only way I can enjoy riding at night is to make it like daytime.

Nov. 7, 2014, 8:56 p.m.

There are lenses that replace the magicshine lens that change the beam pattern.

They are dirt cheap and work on several different brands of lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9zIGTfgGw[HTML_REMOVED]noredirect=1

http://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-Gemini-Lights-Headlight-Includes/dp/B004WLCLQY

Just bought a couple and going to try them.

U sir deserve a raise. I will follow suit. I have found a wide angle lens that fits one of my lights. Awesome.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 19, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

Finally received my lights from Lightmalls….Canada post messed up and tried to deliver them in Vancouver for some reason….took almost a week for them to sort that out. No duty/tax on them either!

Smaller than I thought and super bright. The solarstorm2 will go on my head and my old night rider mini newt dual will go on the bars…should be a good setup.

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

I'm on the Tippee night light program:

I'm loving the Nite Rider Pro 3600's.
I mount one dual light to the handlebars and another dual 3600 to my helmet .

Of course they are expensive, but I get out twice a week night through the Fall/Winter and I ride alone…so big bright lights are a must (for me) to keep the Boogie Man and other Supernatural Beasts away.

As far as these go, 2nd season of use….I'd have to say you get what you pay for with these, there expensive but they are F'n awesome!!! The trail is so bright I don't shy away from anything at night that I'd send during the day.

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

I'm on the Tippee night light program:

I'm loving the Nite Rider Pro 3600's.
I mount one dual light to the handlebars and another dual 3600 to my helmet .

Of course they are expensive, but I get out twice a week night through the Fall/Winter and I ride alone…so big bright lights are a must (for me) to keep the Boogie Man and other Supernatural Beasts away.

As far as these go, 2nd season of use….I'd have to say you get what you pay for with these, there expensive but they are F'n awesome!!! The trail is so bright I don't shy away from anything at night that I'd send during the day.

after my experience with niterider HID's i will never go back to their products.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 19, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

I've been using a Serfas TSL-1500 for the last two winters. It's been a great light, and rated at a "true" 1500 lumens, it's bright enough on the helmet to be used on it's own for night riding.

Just got the new TSL-2500 as I donated my 1500 to the gf. Wow. A big on the bulky side (I recommend it as a bar light) but it's brighter than my car lights.

Combine the two and it's like riding during daylight.

FYI, if you're looking at Serfas lights for the helmet, the guys there recommended getting the 1200

Not a plug. They are the only lights I've used since I moved on from the DX lights that I ran at the start. Great startup pricing on those but the quality and reliability suffered when I started so it's nice to have something a bit more solid.

Nov. 19, 2014, 2:21 p.m.

Lights can be subjective… I wanted a self-contained light that I could use as a flashlight, helmet or bar mount. This category is filled with very few quality products, but I picked up and Exposure Equinox last week… this thing is nuts… 120g w/battery, 150g w/piggyback battery. Puts out 2000 lumens for 1 hour on high with the piggyback… to be honest I can ride on low 90% of the time as it is that bright. Crazy tech out there for sure.

Note: beamshot is from Exposure's website, but I can attest to the brightness.