Gorilla Tape or slit tube - Which Ghetto Tubeless Method?

Aug. 30, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

i reckon there will come a day when there are rims without spoke holes, you know, sealed from the start. i'm sure the technology is coming.

Like so?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:49 p.m.

I think that's probably pretty common? I had some Easton Havocs a few years ago that had no spoke holes.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 31, 2015, 7:26 a.m.

Gorilla Tape (1"), Stans fluid, Stans valves work for me every time. Stans rims, LB rims, Specialized and Schwalbe tires. I like how thin Stans tape is but I don't like how easily I can nick it with my tire lever when removing tires - or the price. I expect the Gorilla tape to be more durable in this respect.

The key element, for me anyway, is not getting air under the tape. IME, if there is air/sealant leaking from around the valve hole on a new setup, it's because the tape is compromised. You gotta start over, Stans or Gorilla.

Tashi's hot tip: If you have the don't need/want for a compressor, just get yourself one of these and fill it at your nearest gas station; it makes airing up new tubeless easy-peasy and if you run a lot of bikes day-to-day (13 between the wife and I in my case) than it saves seemingly endless manual pumping. I installed a compressor hose and 3/8" fittings so it would be compatible with my compressor setup and tools when I finally need one.

Aug. 31, 2015, 7:46 a.m.

I've recently gone back to bolt on schrader valves instead of prestas. So much better and easier to work with, I should have done it sooner.

Aug. 31, 2015, 7:54 a.m.

i reckon there will come a day when there are rims without spoke holes, you know, sealed from the start. i'm sure the technology is coming.

819's have been around [HTML_REMOVED]10 yrs and have no spoke holes so you don't need tape. A TR tire seals up with a little fluid

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:43 a.m.

a good couple of tips for tubeless:

1. use light grit sandpaper to scuff rim before applying tape (especially on carbon)
2. after applying Gorilla tape, use a handheld blowtorch to adhere the glue even more to the rim (use very lightly)

These tips will help with burping and are from a WC mechanic.

:canada:

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:12 a.m.

a good couple of tips for tubeless:

1. use light grit sandpaper to scuff rim before applying tape (especially on carbon)
2. after applying Gorilla tape, use a handheld blowtorch to adhere the glue even more to the rim (use very lightly)

These tips will help with burping and are from a WC mechanic.

Good tips, although I would use a heat gun instead of a blowtorch… ;-)

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

My mechanic uses heats a bolt that's the same size as the valve with a torch, pushes it through the stans tape and then immediately installs the valve. Says it never leaks. Hot move.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

a hair dryer works well but it takes a bit longer.

back in the days of jerry-rigging valves I would buy rubber washers from the hardware store and mount those between the valve and the rim and tighten it down hard. Nothing leaking from that!

Sept. 1, 2015, 12:27 p.m.

Like so?

Look at that will you. Boost like spoke bracing angle. Can one get these wheels in boost width too? Boosted boost. Oh wait, I had a wheel like that ten years ago. Shimano XTR where the j bend went into the side of the rim opposite the hub flange. Really strong wheels but a mindfuck to true them.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.