God I hate innovation...

Aug. 18, 2010, 4:43 p.m.

Hey guys,

A new predicament has come up with my Nomad Carbon build, and I really don't know how to attack it. The issue is that SRAM and Shimano, the pioneers in this glorious 10 speed revolution, have failed to realize that people may want to have bashguards on their 2x10 setups. The only solution is a bit of a franken-drivetrain. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

-Shimano SLX m665 cranks, double with bash (yes, this is the 9-speed crank)
-SRAM X9 3x10 shifters and 10-speed rear derailleur
-a regular 9-speed Shimano front derailleur, dialed in for a double

Will this work? I KNOW that other people have been trying stuff like this, but I don't know whether the new SRAM 10-speed shifters have a weird pull ratio specific to a 10-speed front derailluer, blah blah blah. SRAM offers their new shifters in a 2x10 and a 3x10 configuration, but I'm assuming that the 2x10 pulls differently than the 3x10 shifters. I can't run a SRAM front derailluer on a Nomad apparently, so I'm stuck with Shimano for shifting duties up front, and I know that their new 10 speed stuff is entirely proprietary (ie not cross compatible with SRAM)

Help me please.

Cheers,
Zack

Aug. 18, 2010, 4:56 p.m.

Uh just get a SLX or XT 3x10 spd system and drop the big ring for a bash.

What is so hard to figure out about that?

Aug. 18, 2010, 5:03 p.m.

…my Nomad Carbon build…..
….10 speed….

Aug. 18, 2010, 5:08 p.m.

^this

Aug. 18, 2010, 5:41 p.m.

Since when is 10spd 'innovative'?

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 18, 2010, 7:07 p.m.

It sounds like you're complaining that your new stuff isn't compatible with your old stuff… And you assumed it would be.

…why not ask your LBS? Honestly. I can think of any number of ways to have dealt with this, and none of them involve complaining that your CDs don't play in your cassette player.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Aug. 18, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

I wish I was still riding with power grips, a chromoly fork, a 71/73 frame, 21 gears, cantilever brakes, 18" bars and 2.1 tyres. Oh, and Biopace- oh wait, that was innovative! For a :fruit:.

Just kidding. Good luck with all your fancy new shit:D!

PS. NOT a fan of 10 speed rear shifting.:lemon:
The inner grouch MUST come out from time to time.

Aug. 18, 2010, 7:39 p.m.

I say save all the trouble and a bit of weight/cash and go with a tried and true 9 spd system

Aug. 18, 2010, 8:17 p.m.

e13 4bolt bashguards will work on 10spd ring equipped cranks.

Aug. 18, 2010, 8:28 p.m.

…why not ask your LBS? Honestly. I can think of any number of ways to have dealt with this, and none of them involve complaining that your CDs don't play in your cassette player.

i'm guessing he mail ordered a bunch of stuff and is now out of his depth without a rope. anyone who drops the $ on the pieces he's talking about at a shop is going to have enough hands on advice and help to sort out this type of issue

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 18, 2010, 8:50 p.m.

Run a single ring up front

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 18, 2010, 10:55 p.m.

gear forum thread of the year
:lol:

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 19, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

sorry you guys didn't like the title of my thread. here's why i'm asking about this.

1) i have not ordered ANY parts yet. and i'm buying through QBP directly because the company i work for has an account with them. i don't have enough money to buy a new X0 crankset, and because i'm not a fan of shimano shifting, i can't go with XT because the new 10 speed XT isn't compatible with anything other than shimano systems.

2) i worked in a bike shop for 3 years, so i'm not mechanically retarded, and i called probably 10 different, reputable shops and nobody was able to answer my question. employees were, unlike most of you guys, understanding of the issue and acknowledged that while they've had some mechanics in their shops and guys they know do it, they weren't 100% aware of how it was accomplished.

3) i talked to SRAM directly about this and i was told that they're in the process of dramatically scaling back production on 9-speed stuff. i don't want to drop a bunch of money on 9 speed right now and then find that in 1-2 years i need to upgrade to a full 10-speed group. that would suck.

4) when i called santa cruz for advice, they simply told me that i can't run any SRAM front derailleurs because they won't fit. i can't just buy a full SRAM lineup here because it won't work. i need to run a double up front where i live, and while i debated trying to run a single ring, the climbs in my local park are too steep and the downhills are too steep and long. i'll either be standing up and mashing on climbs or i'll be spinning out on all the downhills.

if you guys are so convinced that i'm an idiot, why don't you tell me what you would do in this situation? i don't want carbon cranks and i can't spend that much, ruling out XO, and i'm not sure that X9 is strong enough. can you think of any other 10-speed crank options that are compatible with SRAM stuff? how about front derailluer options?

sorry to be so defensive, but i think this is a legitimate question.

Aug. 19, 2010, 11:42 a.m.

Why don't you just give it a shot and see if it works.

If the 10 speed front shifter doesn't work, replace it with a 9speed shifter.

Aug. 19, 2010, 12:25 p.m.

Use longer bolts and just ram one in there.
/thread

Wrong. Always.