Fox DHX Air V Monarch Plus RC

Dec. 12, 2011, 3:35 p.m.

The Fox DHX air has been around for ages. It often doesn't get the best reviews. The Rock Shox Monarch Plus is now out there (I assume as a direct competitor).

I don't expect anyone to have ridden both, but would appreciate peoples views if they had to choose.

Thanks
Ecka

Dec. 12, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

The Fox DHX air has been around for ages. It often doesn't get the best reviews. The Rock Shox Monarch Plus is now out there (I assume as a direct competitor).

I don't expect anyone to have ridden both, but would appreciate peoples views if they had to choose.

Thanks
Ecka

What bike is it going on?

RP23 is better than the DHX unless you need a larger volume for a DH application. I've spent a couple of years on the Roco TST from Marz, and it's got a bit more compression damping than the fox, but I love it.

Dec. 12, 2011, 4:11 p.m.

this

i've never heard an informed positive review of the dhx air. on the other hand, lots of :heart: out there for the new monarchs, esp. the ones push sells with a custom tune; biggles seems like like his roco plenty; and i love the $hit out of my manitou isx, which is ridiculously adjustable

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 12, 2011, 4:45 p.m.

all i can say is the RP23 that went on my G-spot made a radical difference to the bike over the stock DHXair that was on it..

just felt the DHXair was "dead" feeling no matter how you tuned it.

i have no experience with the RS product thou.

Dec. 12, 2011, 4:47 p.m.

I'll give the DHX Air a positive review, but only barely. If you want to stick to the ground and burn through a course, this shock is for you. It's also great on the scale. If you like to ride light and pop over obstacles, look elsewhere.

If you're looking for a DH air shock, consider the Vivid Air. It blows away the DHX Air, and quite a bit better than the RP23 (though different applications).

If you're looking for something a little easier on the wallet, consider the Rocco TST like Biggles says. After 2 years on one I switched to an RP23 and I'm still not sure which is better (thought he RP23 sure costs a lot more).

iforonewelcome.com

Dec. 12, 2011, 6:13 p.m.

I can only comment on a RP23 BV shock that replaced my DHX Air. Night and day, especially now that James at SuspensionWerx has worked his magic on it. The RP23 makes my bike feel so much more alive than the DHX Air.

I looked into the RockShox but for my application, I came to the conclusion that the RP23 was a better choice (I forget exactly why as it was a close tough choice). Plus it matched my 36 Talas up front!

Dec. 12, 2011, 9:10 p.m.

RP23 is better than the DHX unless you need a larger volume for a DH application. I've spent a couple of years on the Roco TST from Marz, and it's got a bit more compression damping than the fox, but I love it.

I have possessed two different roco tst airs and neither one could achieve it's claimed shaft stroke/travel. That was both riding it or compressing it on the bike in the basement with no air in the main chamber. What's up with that?

Dec. 12, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

I have possessed two different roco tst airs and neither one could achieve it's claimed shaft stroke/travel. That was both riding it or compressing it on the bike in the basement with no air in the main chamber. What's up with that?

There is a 5mm bottom out bumper inside. It's a common complaint.

Dec. 13, 2011, 5:51 a.m.

only bike I've owned that felt good with DHX Air was Banshee Wildcard which had very progressive suspension

for more direct comparison I changed DHX 5 Air on Devinci Hectik (160mm all-mtn) for RP23 XV BV and it was like riding a completely different bike :)

no love for the DHX Air from me, I've owned 4 different bikes with them fitted…and 3 felt terrible with this shock, Mojo (Fox UK) could not offer any useful tuning for this shock either

Dec. 13, 2011, 7:22 a.m.

only bike I've owned that felt good with DHX Air was Banshee Wildcard which had very progressive suspension

for more direct comparison I changed DHX 5 Air on Devinci Hectik (160mm all-mtn) for RP23 XV BV and it was like riding a completely different bike :)

no love for the DHX Air from me, I've owned 4 different bikes with them fitted…and 3 felt terrible with this shock, Mojo (Fox UK) could not offer any useful tuning for this shock either

I see you're in the UK, but for others…….I had a DHX air on my bike and after Arthur went through the setup for my weight it felt pretty good, much better than before. I have an RP23 BV now and it IS a bit better than the DHX but for me I required a setup from Arthur and a BV tweak to get it right

Dec. 13, 2011, 8:05 a.m.

I see you're in the UK, but for others…….I had a DHX air on my bike and after Arthur went through the setup for my weight it felt pretty good, much better than before. I have an RP23 BV now and it IS a bit better than the DHX but for me I required a setup from Arthur and a BV tweak to get it right

OK, I'll bite. As an ex-Pat, this whole 'you're from the UK' thing is pretty tedious. UK riders have been at, or near the top of the mountain bike racing scene for the last 30 years. The riding scene is pretty different but still has it's own stresses on bikes. Pushing up / riding down a 200m hill all day is still going to beat the crap out of a bike, especially when the trails are DH oriented, so one is going at more than 10mph, unlike many Shore trails.
The likes of Tim Flooks (former owner of TFTuned) was working on world cup DH bikes when James at SW was probably still in diapers / nappies. And I mean no disrespect to SW or Suspension Therapy in saying that, just merely pointing out that there are possibly hundreds of SWs dotted around the planet, and shit loads of gnarly trails.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 13, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

OK, I'll bite. As an ex-Pat, this whole 'you're from the UK' thing is pretty tedious. UK riders have been at, or near the top of the mountain bike racing scene for the last 30 years. The riding scene is pretty different but still has it's own stresses on bikes. Pushing up / riding down a 200m hill all day is still going to beat the crap out of a bike, especially when the trails are DH oriented, so one is going at more than 10mph, unlike many Shore trails.
The likes of Tim Flooks (former owner of TFTuned) was working on world cup DH bikes when James at SW was probably still in diapers / nappies. And I mean no disrespect to SW or Suspension Therapy in saying that, just merely pointing out that there are possibly hundreds of SWs dotted around the planet, and shit loads of gnarly trails.

Biter. Brits know nothing about bikes.

Dec. 13, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

uhhh dude I think he was just saying that if you are local you could get Arthur to twiddle your knobs, I didn't see his post as knock the UK riders, scene, or ability to get your knobs tuned.

Dec. 13, 2011, 2:46 p.m.

Biter. Brits know nothing about bikes.

Nom nom nom nom.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 13, 2011, 4:04 p.m.

Back on track a little (and no I'm not from the UK)

All good fellas, here is the eplanation of my original post

Trail Bike situation, I currently have a RP3 on an older Santa Cruz BLT, had no problems with performance, although shock has been professionally serviced over its life.

I recently ordered a new frame / fork (the Frame comes with a tuned RP23), however I was offered a Monarch Plus to match the new Lyrics.

I think I'll just stick to the RP23.

As a side note I absolutely loved the BLT, it has served me well, but now I have gone to the "dark side" with the other VVP mob

Cheers all
Ecka