Chris King BB's

Oct. 21, 2008, 5:23 p.m.

King is Bling! I wonder if it will creak then it could match my King headset.

Do you run a scuff washer?

99[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of creaking King headsets I've seen do not have the scuff washer installed. I have actually used them with other headsets and ontop/below the upper crowns on dual-crown forks to solve issues with creaks.

My favourite is shops that think it's part of the packaging and throw it out and then have the nerve to claim the headsets creak.

If you run the scuff washer then get your headset punched out and reinstal it with some grease (I prefer copper based never-seize) as recommended above.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 21, 2008, 5:28 p.m.

Where is the grease port? How available is the grease purge tool?

They had a rough tool at Interbike to use for demo purposes. Reportedly the grease purge tool will be available in "the new year."

There is not a grease port. It is actually a 360-degree lip inside the cup (which looks like an oversized scuff waser)that catches the Grease-Gun and forces grease into the bearings instead of into the BB-shell. Grease then comes out the front grey seal you can see in the photo.

It makes a lot more sense once you pop out the black reducer in the photo.

I have not heard yet if there is a maintenance cycle you have to maintain (in terms of purging grease) in order to protect the 5-year warranty.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 21, 2008, 7:30 p.m.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1504364525/bctid1827922806

That is a link to a video that shows how the grease port works. 1:38 into the video.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Oct. 21, 2008, 8:06 p.m.

I wish it was compatible with Truvativ cranks. I'd have one for sure.

Oct. 21, 2008, 8:08 p.m.

Do you run a scuff washer?

99% of creaking King headsets I've seen do not have the scuff washer installed. I have actually used them with other headsets and ontop/below the upper crowns on dual-crown forks to solve issues with creaks.

-D

I assembled everything to kings specs and used all the included parts plus a spacer in between the headset and top crown. I can get rid of the creak when I disasemble the stem and forks upper crown and give the area a good cleaning. Promlem is the creak comes back within 20 minutes or so of riding.

Possible problem could be my Thomson X4 stem, it has openings that show the steer tube, I could be getting dust and water down there that could be causing the creak. I have a direct mount on the way to see if that cures the problem.

Oct. 21, 2008, 8:18 p.m.

i have to say, the 5 year warrantee sounds like a really bad move by king. the sheer amount of retards that install the cups on unfaced shells is always staggering.

Oct. 21, 2008, 8:35 p.m.

I assembled everything to kings specs and used all the included parts plus a spacer in between the headset and top crown. I can get rid of the creak when I disasemble the stem and forks upper crown and give the area a good cleaning. Promlem is the creak comes back within 20 minutes or so of riding.

Possible problem could be my Thomson X4 stem, it has openings that show the steer tube, I could be getting dust and water down there that could be causing the creak. I have a direct mount on the way to see if that cures the problem.

what frame do you have?

Oct. 21, 2008, 8:55 p.m.

what frame do you have?

Tuner Dhr. I greased the headtube with Park's just like every other bike I've pressed a headset into and no problems there.:S

Oct. 21, 2008, 9:03 p.m.

Without derailing this thread, it is the inherent design of the King headset and the lack of a deep wedge to lock the steerer tube and top cap in place that is causing the creek.

FSA and Cane Creek have patents on the wedges they use to lock their headsets in place. The 'abuse of DH riding is too much in some cases for King head sets.

Get and FSA or Cane Creek and your creaks will go away.

You can read about this in great length and detail on MTBR.

The BBs look really nice though.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Oct. 21, 2008, 9:16 p.m.

Without derailing this thread, it is the inherent design of the King headset and the lack of a deep wedge to lock the steerer tube and top cap in place that is causing the creek.

FSA and Cane Creek have patents on the wedges they use to lock their headsets in place. The 'abuse of DH riding is too much in some cases for King head sets.

Get and FSA or Cane Creek and your creaks will go away.

You can read about this in great length and detail on MTBR.

The BBs look really nice though.

Good info Dude! Sorry about the derail the BBs look nice and the idea is great. King is a top notch company no doubt.

Oct. 22, 2008, 12:13 a.m.

I think the King BB is a great idea. The issues of unfaced BB's, lack of maintenance, etc. can all be said for their other products as well, and they survive beyond expectation for most ppl. This BB also happend to be amazingly smooth when I felt it with a set of SLX cranks mounted to it, and with trick colours as always will please anyone that wants another trick, quality part on their bike. With the amount of King headsets out there the price is not bad at all for what you're getting.
and if they don't stand up to 5 years of abuse, then I'm sure you'll be please to see the warranty kick in.

.:NSTP:.

Oct. 22, 2008, 3:16 a.m.

check the steerer tube on your fork where the king top-cap sits, and you may notice a groove starting to develop as the top-cap moves under heavy loads and starts gouging the steerer tube

both the Kings I've had on FR bikes constantly creaked, and started chewing into my steerer tube, this happened on my buddy's setup too (king/chaparral/66s), and a Marzocchi tech we met in Whistler last season confirmed he had seen a run of forks come through his workstation with the same issue (riders brought their bikes in thinking it was a problem with their Marz forks)

to be fair to King, the alloy no-threadset was not designed for abuse…its a good choice for XC and other bikes using short-mid travel single crown forks

I have had much better results using the cheap FSA Pig Pro or the Race Face Diablous headsets ;)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Oct. 22, 2008, 11:34 a.m.

[QUOTE=ESHER SHORE;2042595
I have had much better results using the cheap FSA Pig Pro or the Race Face Diablous headsets ;)

Uggggh Raceface headsets? FSA Pigs I would agree with but the experiences I have had with the Diabolus headset (and several other riders that have used that headset) have not been good. I run King headsets on all my bikes and I have never had a problem with any of them. Actually some of the headsets have seen more than one frame over their lifetime. Super smooth and great looks. Won

Shed head!

Oct. 22, 2008, 12:13 p.m.

TheDude knows what he's talking about. I had a Chris King on a DH bike and it was aweful. It wore a groove in my steer tube, and the taper in the top cap wore out resulting in the top cap pressing into the top cup. That resulted the King becoming self binding. I was told I was at fault for running the bike with the headset loose, which I certainly did not. After spending $$$ on a new top cap for the headset I installed it onto my Nomad with a 66 and have been happy ever since. Bearings are fanastic … too bad about the otherwise poor design.

The King headset was always creaking on the DH bike, nothing I could do would stop the creaking, except changing the headset, which instantly solved that problem.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Oct. 22, 2008, 12:41 p.m.

previous RF headsets like the Real Seal were poor

but I've had 3 diablous now on different frames (normally leave them installed when selling a frame) and the only "downside" I have ever experienced is that the lower bearing race seat can fall from the lower bearing when you take your fork off

the bearings on the Diablous are rebuildable so its just a case of pushing the race back into place, and its often an excuse to pump some extra grease in there to keep things running sweet

if flying just stuff a rag in there to keep the race in place whilst your bike is bagged up (if you removed your fork that is…)

but compared to the Kings i've had, the Diablous h/set has been gold (I have not had positive experiences with the Diablous crankset or seatpost so i am not a RF fanboy by any means…)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/