brake fluid on the brake pad

June 30, 2012, 8:36 a.m.

i was bleeding my brakes yday and i let the hose slip off and i squirted a nice dose of dot 4 all over my brand new brake pads.. :flame:

i took them out immediately..wiped them down w/ a cloth w/ isopropyl and let them sit in the sun for an hr..

are my pads fuckd? will the contamination damage the rotor if i go for a ride ?

on a positive note i got a sweet bleed done after that..

June 30, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

Your pads might be toast, but there's no harm in going for a ride to see if they're contaminated. It won't do any harm to the rotor, you'll just need to clean the rotor if the pads do turn out to be contaminated.

June 30, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

ok thats encouraging..if i've got nothing to lose i woll give it a shot. they are grabbing pretty good in the driveway…

June 30, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

I've heard tales of people boiling or burning the pads to decontaminate as well. Not sure if either work well but you've got nothing to lose.

June 30, 2012, 9:01 a.m.

ok thats encouraging..if i've got nothing to lose i woll give it a shot. they are grabbing pretty good in the driveway…

if they squeal, bye bye

June 30, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

I've heard tales of people boiling or burning the pads to decontaminate as well. Not sure if either work well but you've got nothing to lose.

fukkn one clumsy second and a brand new set of pads toast!! thats one of those moments you need the third hand….

boiling eh? not a bad idea…i read about the blow torch ..i might try that if i find they are squealing and im thinkn of replacing them etc…

for some reason i have always been squeamish about putting the blowtorch on my bike parts…i do like fire tho..

June 30, 2012, 9:12 a.m.

I could be wrong,but I think most brake pads have something sprayed on them to protect them from oil etc when your installing them,that burns off when you bed them in,so you should be ok. Only one way to find out.

Next time leave them on the bench until the bleed is done

Pastor of Muppets

June 30, 2012, 9:40 a.m.

that would be good news for me…they do seem to be working in the yard here but thats not a real test..

keeping the pads on the bench is a decent idea..or wrapping a rag around the brake will catch the odd drop.. i was trying to bleed the rear and reach forward and pull the brake lever and the hose popped off the bleed bottle…

im riding an old set of ace strokers which were fucked and bleeds werent helping. i heard the master cylinder internals had been recalled. i called hayes down in the us of a and after some hard luck weeping /begging they mailed me up an internal kit…the new aluminum piston is approx 1/4" longer than the old and is giving a much better lever return..

i love these brakes when they are working stoked to have them back on the bike…

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1214400206_Hayes_Master_Cylinder_Internal_Kit_Stroker

June 30, 2012, 9:54 a.m.

You can easily burn the brake fluid off on the stove. Watch video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2ye1KNgv8

June 30, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

I've baked em in the oven with good results, I also used a blowtorch a few times but I read afterwards that this can cause the adhesive holding the pads onto the metal backing plats to come un-done.

I think the oven is the safest bet, should be back in business in no time :thepimp:

June 30, 2012, 11:03 p.m.

You can easily burn the brake fluid off on the stove. Watch video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG2ye1KNgv8

It does smell bad, and DON'T do it to resin pads, they just burn. a 'friend' told me that, honest!

July 1, 2012, 7:23 a.m.

Remove yer damn pads when your bleeding your brakes. That's amateur man.

If you torch em' they are normally never quite the same after, but if your hell bent on trying to salvage them spray them with brake clean, then torch them (don't let them get red hot!!!!!!) then quench them in water. Once they're cool scuff em up with some 100 grit.

Note: watch out for excess brake clean on your work bench, it can cause an unpleasant surprise. . .

July 1, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

The method that has always worked for me, well, when and if I've needed it ;)…

1. Scrub contaminated pads with Dawn and a toothbrush, rinse and repeat

2. Isopropyl alcohol flush

3. Boil for 10 minutes and Bob's your uncle!

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

July 1, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

Remove yer damn pads when your bleeding your brakes. That's amateur man.

hey! im sensitive and its canada day! time to talk about feelings here….

i'd feel really dumb but a couple of guys i know posted up some solutions as if they might've done it as well…i dont feel so amateur now..

as it turns out i just did a ride in the rain and the mud etc and they squealed pretty bad at first but by the end of ride were pulling my fillings out and making regular noises…. halleleujah gobble gobble….!!

i guess old HT was correct and the new pads coating gives a bit of a buffer….no boiling no baking….

July 3, 2012, 2:14 p.m.

a small hand held blow torch has worked for me. you want to be conservative with it, but you can see the contamination burn off. when the smoke stops, remove from heat.