Bike Shops - Listen

April 3, 2022, 9:41 a.m.

Well, I'd probably charge $10 to cut / roll the spokes and $10 to properly measure the various dimensions. If you happened to say "I ran a bike shop for 10 years but do you mind double checking my figures just in case I put them in the wrong field", sure I could do that for free, but this is all just words on a screen so I don't know how that conversation went down. But maybe the shop likes to use a different spoke calc and your figures don't gel with the shop's preferred software ;) I don't like using DT's for example as it wants you to figure out where the middle of the hub is, V's Prowheelbuilder that just wants locknut to flange.

All this just feels like the shop have a policy that you do not agree with but doesn't make it wrong, and at which point you could have backed out. Maybe the shop thought that 'double check the calc' meant finding the hub / rim details and recalculating? The problem with email (and forum....) communication is that it's open to interpretation. I'm guessing that if you went into the shop and spoke to the Service Writer or Manager you might have gotten a different answer. Plus one genuine mistake for which they refunded you. Maybe they should have refunded you the bank fee, but at this point you have spent far longer talking about it on here than measuring spokes and talking to the shop.

As above, the issues with trying to sort all this out on-line is that it can tend to turn into a shit show. We've gone backwards and forwards on this forum and not agreed because the communication is vague. If we met in the shop and had the initial discussion we'd probably agree on everything, and I could check at a glance and know whether we could cut Xmm off the spokes while still leaving enough round spoke left to roll new threads :)

Last edited by: trumpstinyhands on April 3, 2022, 9:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 3, 2022, 11:58 a.m.

If you had 10yrs experiance running a shop shouldn't you have realized  something smelled funny trying to deal with this shop ?