Bike Shops - Listen

June 21, 2018, 9:47 p.m.

If you want to keep on keeping on...

http://www.eugenewei.com/blog/2018/5/21/invisible-asymptotes

As an owner of an, "internet bike" who is looking to replace an air shock with a DHX2 + SLS spring could I suggest you reel in your front desk drones who've never ridden more than a few laps to not project your angst?

You can still exist if you reign this in.

June 21, 2018, 10:39 p.m.

Oh, the infamous bike shop attitude. Drives me crazy too. I don't go back if I get attitude. Usually I give them a two strike policy. If it happens once I just walk out. But I'm a sucker for bike shops. I'm like that girlfriend who keeps going back even though her asshole boyfriend is an asshole to her. But I only go back once. If they give attitude again I still don't buy anything and just never go back. 

Sometimes I write an internet post about it....

June 22, 2018, 5:36 p.m.

So a shop won't order you in a shock? 

Or they want you to pay shipping on it?

June 23, 2018, 6:46 a.m.

Just thought I'd go in and buy a shock from a shop that's treated me really well.  While one of the good guys was looking it all up, Sheila couldn't shut up about, "That's what you get when you buy an internet bike!" and on and on.  I had to talk over her to tell I was trying to buy a second shock but she would have none of it.

Just fucking annoying.

June 23, 2018, 7:12 a.m.

Bike Shops and their employees are their own worst enemy.

June 23, 2018, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Just thought I'd go in and buy a shock from a shop that's treated me really well.  While one of the good guys was looking it all up, Sheila couldn't shut up about, "That's what you get when you buy an internet bike!" and on and on.  I had to talk over her to tell I was trying to buy a second shock but she would have none of it.

Just fucking annoying.

Im sure she never buys anything off amazon.ca.

June 23, 2018, 9:52 a.m.

those bike shops will be crushed by new shops that adjusted to the new metrics. here in germany there is a new kind of "shop", mainly for repairs so far but they will also build up any part you bought online. the best thing is you don't even need to go to their shop, you can arrange a date online and they will come to your place or your workplace with a cargo bike and fix up any problem you have. they even partnered up with the largest online retailer fahrrad.de and with rose bikes and you can get any bike from them delivered to their local shop and they will built it up for you and service it.

June 23, 2018, 12:53 p.m.

Germany has always had a strong mail order culture. Growing up in the Netherlands in the 80s, my parents always had some German mail order catalogues lying around. Later, when I started reading German mtb magazines, they would often come with paper catalogues from the likes of Canyon. Naturally, when the internet arrived, the online sales model was quickly embraced. People over there are "pro-active" consumers, doing their own research, comparing specs and prices, finding the best value for their money.

When I moved to North America ten years ago, it took me a while to decipher the cultural differences. People are "passive consumers" here, they want to have a "guy" who knows their name, "understands their situation", recommends "what is good for them", gives them "deals". However, this appears to be changing and some shops are better at seeing and adapting to that change than others. Bikemag had an article recently about the rise of high-end consumer-direct mtb brands and it said something like "this trend caught shops completely off-guard"....

June 23, 2018, 2:32 p.m.

Looks like fahrrad.de doesn't have english translation and don't ship to Canada :(

June 23, 2018, 5:13 p.m.

Anyways, bike shop owners, read that paper I linked.

June 24, 2018, 1:20 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Looks like fahrrad.de doesn't have english translation and don't ship to Canada :(

https://www.bikester.co.uk/

there you go (dunno about the canada shipping though)

Last edited by: Sethimus on June 24, 2018, 1:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2018, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Endur-Bro

https://www.bikester.co.uk/

there you go (dunno about the canada shipping though)

Bikester only ships to the UK

June 24, 2018, 10 a.m.

Reductimat, did you sort out a shock yet?

June 24, 2018, 10:48 p.m.

Nein.  No shock yet.

You seem to be a rocket scientist when it comes to that, who should I poke?

June 25, 2018, 8:52 a.m.

Shops partnering with online bike retailers seems like a sensible strategy.