Bike rack + Ticket = Po Po no no.

Jan. 25, 2012, 8:43 a.m.

^ you just need a way to cover up the front plate too and you can cross for free!

Jan. 25, 2012, 8:46 a.m.

Also don't forget this portion of the MVAR as well

(2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is lighted with a lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (C) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible to the driver of a vehicle to the rear is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 25, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

MVA Regs

Division 3 [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; Display and Use of Number Plates
Prohibition

3.01 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway unless displayed on it are
(a) number plates in accordance with this Division, and
(b) if a validation decal is issued for attachment to a number plate, the validation decal in accordance with this Division.

Number plates in horizontal position

3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed

3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Licence plate lamp

4.16 (1) The rear licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light so that the numbers on the licence plate are legible from a distance of 15 m to the rear of the vehicle.
(2) The lamp required by subsection (1)
(a) must illuminate whenever the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated, and
(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle.

The above is not legal advice.

Jan. 25, 2012, 9:04 a.m.

You should have told that mall cop to get back to watching the Bacon Bros. Oh wait.

Actually I don't mind Pomo police. But that ticket is lame!

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 25, 2012, 9:10 a.m.

You should have told that mall cop to get back to watching the Bacon Bros. Oh wait.

Actually I don't mind Pomo police. But that ticket is lame!

I do too.. They've all been pretty good.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 25, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

I saw her get out, walk back to where the cop was parked behind her, look at her plate, and shake her head…

hahaha

Having done that exact walk of shame exactly one year ago next week, it could have been expired insurance. The $700 ticket is tough to swallow but the $100+ tow bill was icing on the expensive cake. Another added expense of moving - no renewal notice in the mail.

Jan. 25, 2012, 1:55 p.m.

Connor,

I personally know of two individuals who have received tickets for this exact issue. So it does happen, especially with the racks that fold up against the car when not in use.

dee

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Jan. 25, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

I was warned once with my old truck.

Could you not just make a laminated copy of your plate and zap strap it to the rack? I mean, people drive around with those temporary cardboard plates in their back window and those are rarely readable even when you're stopped at a light directly behind them. And they're certainly not illumintad.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 25, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

Stolen from semaj's post shuttle rig thread:
Possible solution? Couple of zip ties it seems

I did this because I got a $200 ticket for obstructed plate on Robson street. The rack was unfolded but there was no bike on it at the time, and I was not speeding or anything. I had just pulled out of my apartment lot.

I reluctantly paid the ticket and mounted my plate on the rack WITH a light attached to a trailer harness so it was legal. Of course, I kept my rack on and unfolded all year.

Then I saw this!

I'll never worry about a ticket again, because I'll fight it with these pics as evidence. :)

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:11 p.m.

hahaha, saves pics to iphone :)

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:18 p.m.

Saved! Hahaha! Classic!

Jan. 25, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

It's the law, but I guess they don't enforce it, so we have got used to it.

Most cars I've seen in Europe with bike racks roll like this:

My old man back in Scotland has a 2x4 with a set of lights and a plate on it. He just ties that to the end of whatever is on the hitch (bike rack, trailer).

Jan. 25, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

So what about vehicles with trailers? This law makes no sense to me. Your plate is usually only blocked from some angles, esp. If you have no bikes mounted.

Jan. 25, 2012, 6:15 p.m.

I got a ticket just because the the wheel of my bike hanging over the tailgate obscured my plate. $200! I was pulled over for speeding at the time, so maybe there's a lesson there. somewhere.

Jan. 25, 2012, 6:15 p.m.

So what about vehicles with trailers? This law makes no sense to me. Your plate is usually only blocked from some angles, esp. If you have no bikes mounted.

Trailers are required by law to have their own licence plate and insurance.

www.FVMBA.com