Bike rack + Ticket = Po Po no no.

Jan. 27, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

How are you going dispute that? You got the obscured plate, you've got the law on the books, you got the ticket? Or are you hoping that no cop shows so you can get off on that technicality? What will your argument be?

Agreed.

Also, that pic of the police van doesn't really mean or prove anything. The van is parked, the photo taker could have easily put the rack on then snapped the pic. (Not saying that's what happened, but if you tried to present it in court, it's easy to say that's what could have happened).

Besides, even if an officer is breaking the law that does not make the law invalid.

Jan. 27, 2012, 1:10 p.m.

Exactly the law is the law and if you broke the law, pay your ticket. Had a long circuitous argument with a boss ages ago. He got a speeding ticket on Cypress. He was going 80 kph and admitted that the posted limit is 60kph. "Larry how fast were you going?" "80". "And the signs on the road say? "60". "What will be your argument?" "The speed should be 80." "But it's not and you knew it ands acknowledge that you were doing 80 in a 60." "Yes but it should be 80." ad nauseum. he ultimately decided he had no argument whatsoever and paid the fine.

You cannot argue ignorance of a law, you cannot argue that the law is wrong or unfair, you cannot argue that you have a picture of a police vehicle also breaking that law. You are left with..what? Pay the fine bro.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 27, 2012, 1:44 p.m.

Exactly the law is the law and if you broke the law, pay your ticket. Had a long circuitous argument with a boss ages ago. He got a speeding ticket on Cypress. He was going 80 kph and admitted that the posted limit is 60kph. "Larry how fast were you going?" "80". "And the signs on the road say? "60". "What will be your argument?" "The speed should be 80." "But it's not and you knew it ands acknowledge that you were doing 80 in a 60." "Yes but it should be 80." ad nauseum. he ultimately decided he had no argument whatsoever and paid the fine.

You cannot argue ignorance of a law, you cannot argue that the law is wrong or unfair, you cannot argue that you have a picture of a police vehicle also breaking that law. You are left with..what? Pay the fine bro.

If one of my employees argued with my flawed logic I would can their sorry ass.

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 27, 2012, 2:19 p.m.

I had a good rapport with Larry. Larry once had the line of the decade. Staff meeting and one employee is going off on a rant about something that bothered him. Larry said something to the effect that yeah we get it not be quiet. Employee said " Squeaky wheel gets the grease". Larry said " Sometimes you replace the wheel."

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 27, 2012, 2:53 p.m.

you cannot argue that the law is wrong or unfair

Sure you can, courts overturn laws all the time. I think you mean that you won't win the argument in this case, and you're probably right.

A cop really does have to be a douche to use his authority to hassle someone about this.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 27, 2012, 3:10 p.m.

I think in this situation it is a judgement call by the officer, and with this particular guy a poor one at that. My license plate can be seen and read with know problem when the rack is in the up position (IMO). I have taken pictures with the rack loaded with bikes and without, so we will see what the judge has to say.

Jan. 27, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Exactly the law is the law and if you broke the law, pay your ticket.

I did pay the ticket, but I will fight it next time.

I could have a sympathetic judge who doesn't see a bike rack as the type of plate obstruction that needs to be punished. Perhaps the judge will also think the cop was petty with the ticket and throw it out. Perhaps the fine will only be reduced, or perhaps he'll say the law was broken and the fine has to be paid.

I'll accept whatever happens at the end, but at least I will put up a fight ;)

For the record, this is what my plate looked like…except no bike at the time. Hardly obstructed in my opinion, which is mostly why I was mad. It's not like my plate was covered entirely.

Jan. 27, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

they need to be able to see the plate number and expiry date sticker

Jan. 27, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

they need to be able to see the plate number and expiry date sticker

Can you read those expiry stickers on the car in front of you while driving? :lol: I sure can't

But again as someone mentioned before, if I was towing a Uhaul trailer my plate would be obstructed too. How is this different?

Jan. 27, 2012, 11:36 p.m.

Because they can track the trailer back to you. The purpose of the plate is to identify…

Jan. 28, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

Because they can track the trailer back to you. The purpose of the plate is to identify…

So they can track the trailer I always borrow from the neighbor back to me???

And as far as those fucking stickers go why do we even still have them? It's not like it is 1974, every police car I see has a laptop in it I am sure they run the plate and see if the insurance is valid long before they look at the tiny sticker.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 28, 2012, 7:24 a.m.

A Uhaul trailer?

Jan. 28, 2012, 7:27 a.m.

Can you read those expiry stickers on the car in front of you while driving? :lol: I sure can't

But again as someone mentioned before, if I was towing a Uhaul trailer my plate would be obstructed too. How is this different?

I can at a stop light.

but you definitely have me on the second one. Towing anything obstructs the plate completely so how would it be any different. You win!

Jan. 28, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

anyone can legally tow anyone else's trailer though. It has no definitive id on the vehicle towing it.

Jan. 28, 2012, 8:54 a.m.

So they can track the trailer I always borrow from the neighbor back to me???

And as far as those fucking stickers go why do we even still have them? It's not like it is 1974, every police car I see has a laptop in it I am sure they run the plate and see if the insurance is valid long before they look at the tiny sticker.

Man this thread is full of win.

Ok, to the guy above with a partially covered plate that thinks it still readable.

Look up the word " obstructed".

To the trailer guy I quoted. Borrowing the trailer is not legal unless the owner is in the vehicle with you.

Oh and the little expiry stickers are color coded so the cop can see from a long ways away if you are expired.

Exhale.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com