The Definitive Cheap Accommodation Thread

May 18, 2005, 8:29 p.m.

UPDATED FOR SUMMER 2009

Greetings all Whistler pilgrims!

I notice that a lot of threads popping up on here asking about cheap accommodation. I figure that I might as well make one thread, and then we can point everyone here when they ask.

I'll post up what I know. Feel free to add what you've found to be cheap.

Camping:

There's a thread about that here, and the site for the actual campground, a 5-7 min ride from the Village
is here.

Hostels:

_The Fireside Lodge _ is pretty good. It's in the Nordic neighborhood, close to Creekside. It's about 5 mins away from the action. You'll find them here. A reveiew from a NSMB poster is here.

_The UBC Lodge _ is open to everyone (not just UBCers) and is also in Nordic. You can find them here.

_The HI Whistler Hostel _ is good too. It's about 5 minutes from the lifts by car, maybe 15 on a bike. You can find out about it here. It's across the lake from Whistler Village though, and bus service to get there is pretty weak.

Southside Lodge has a great diner in it! It's in Creekside right on the highway and has a few rooms. Find all your info here.

Alta Vista Lodge. Unfortunately, the Lodge will close for the 2008 season at the end of August. Hopefully this popular spot will be up and running again next year.

Really cheap accom:

WhistlerBlackcomb Staff Housing-$10ish a night last year. This year ( 2009 ) WB will only offer beds to non-WB employees at its Glacier Park location (Base 2) and will only offer them mid-August to the end of September. You must book in for the minimum two-week stay too. For more info, call them at (604)938-7500 x1.

Cheap accom:

Whistler Resort and Club. Is now a timeshare, and nightly rentals are no longer accepted.

Inside Edge Club lodge is an option that may work if you're up more than once a summer. You have to join the club for $85 but you get one night at the lodge free. After that it is only $30 for Saturday night or $45 for Friday and Saturday. They are located in Nester's and have a secure place to lock your bike. Check the web site if you're interested here.

Normal accom:

The Summit Lodge, between the new library and the 7-11, is a good bet. They allow pets, even monstrous dogs. Their Queen Studio with kitchenette runs about $150/night in the bike season, and can fit a small family. Alcohol is allowed at their outdoor pool and hot tub. They have bike storage.

The URL=[http://www.resortquestwhistler.com/rental/complex.html?ID=44"]Woodrun on Blackcomb[/URL] looks solid. Units sleep 6 people and cost $169 - $189 during biking season. If you stay, use the back path on the ski run…it's a hundred times faster than riding up the road! And tell us what their bike storage is like too.

The nearby [URL=http://www.resortquestwhistler.com/rental/complex.html?ID=6"]Aspens on Blackcomb has gotten good reviews from riders on this site. It's one property away from the Woodrun above, and has more units. Prices are similar.

Condos

AlluraDirect. I have no experience with this website, but people on the boards have used it. Word is that condos and apartments can be found and rented for good prices. The site is here.

So far, that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps!

May 18, 2005, 11:07 p.m.

some one should sticky this

May 19, 2005, 12:13 a.m.

StrawDog, thanx, but couldn't you have gone for a ride?

MMMmmmm… Riding

May 19, 2005, 3:43 p.m.

I don't understand upanddown?

I work a pretty low-key job, so I have time to make long posts. I couldn't have been riding instead of making the thread, since I was at work.

May 19, 2005, 3:49 p.m.

Excellent! My thanx to your boss for paying you to give us well organized information! :grinno:

MMMmmmm… Riding

May 19, 2005, 5:21 p.m.

Excellent! My thanx to your boss for paying you to give us well organized information! :grinno:

You're welcome. :)

My boss rides too, so I'm sure he'd be OK with it if he knew!

May 19, 2005, 9:14 p.m.

Cant believe you didnt even mention Lot 4. Thats where you'll find the really cheap travellers. Why spend your money on a room when you can use it at the pub after your ride.

PS the Westin Hotel has a sweet pool/hottub/sauna/shower setup that is an easy poach :bandit:

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 19, 2005, 9:58 p.m.

perhaps someone could change the title to "definitive". good thread idea tho.

toshiclark.com

May 19, 2005, 10 p.m.

Cant believe you didnt even mention Lot 4. Thats where you'll find the really cheap travellers. Why spend your money on a room when you can use it at the pub after your ride.

PS the Westin Hotel has a sweet pool/hottub/sauna/shower setup that is an easy poach :bandit:

As far as I know campin in Lot 4 has been banned for a few years now, don't know how much it is inforced but you don't see that many campers down there anymore…..

mtbskierdad

May 19, 2005, 10:11 p.m.

As far as I know campin in Lot 4 has been banned for a few years now

Really? News to me. Every trip to Whistler yet has involved sleeping in Lot4, and we are not the only ones. Never saw any "No Overnight Parking" signs.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 20, 2005, 3:20 p.m.

perhaps someone could change the title to "definitive". good thread idea tho.

Why? :???:

Both seem to be kosher.

edit I figure that 'definitive' looks better and that's probably the better way of doing it. I couldn't change it on the main title though.

May 21, 2005, 12:45 p.m.

the [Obs.] in that definition indicates that it's obsolete. of course, if you speak in olde englishe… :lol:

toshiclark.com

May 21, 2005, 5:36 p.m.

the [Obs.] in that definition indicates that it's obsolete. of course, if you speak in olde englishe… :lol:

OK, I get it then. I'm a fan of The Bard and the rest of it, but not THAT big of a fan. I'd be like those guys that get dressed up in armour and joust or something!

May 21, 2005, 6:31 p.m.

listel hotel is 70$ a night.. thats where I stayed

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

May 31, 2005, 12:18 p.m.

bump8)

MMMmmmm… Riding