Non-bike things to do in Whistler?

June 25, 2015, 9:09 p.m.

Going to spend some general leisure vacation time in Whistler with my wife for a few days this summer and looking for some idea on things to do. I'm quite familiar with Whistler in terms of biking and skiing but not too familiar with the other things to do there. Was thinking that we would probably hang at the hotel pool, Rainbow park beach, lost lake, etc. Would be looking to do some hiking - is there a must-do hike there? Is taking the gondola up to the top the best way to do a nice hike or is there anything closer to the valley (aka. free) worth checking out? Any other recommendations in terms of other must-do activities would also be appreciated. Thanks

June 26, 2015, 8:41 a.m.

Ancient Cedar Grove trail near Cougar mountain is a nice shady hike.

For non-bikers a walk through Train Wreck then back up Trash is another nice shady hike with views of the small waterfalls.

June 26, 2015, 8:43 a.m.

Too many lakes to not swim.

June 26, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

Check out the hike to Wedgemount Lake! It's super amazing.

[ATTACH]10536[/ATTACH]

June 26, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

Hike into Cheakamus Lake.

June 26, 2015, 10:05 a.m.

Float down the River of Golden Dreams from Alta lake to Green lake.

June 26, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

The new skywalk trail from Alpine to the Rainbow glacier is a nice hike (after you've got to the flank trail).

Don't discount hiking up on the mountain. The high note trail has some great views. Combine the ticket with the mountain top BBQ ticket for a nice feast at the end of the day.

Haven't done zip-trek but this new zip line looks cool http://www.superflyziplines.com

June 26, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

in the end I think most non-bike things to do in Whistler involve wishing you were on your bike

June 26, 2015, 11:11 a.m.

Hiking out to Taylor Meadows + Garibaldi Lake +black tusk is amazing

June 27, 2015, 7:44 a.m.

Float down the River of Golden Dreams from Alta lake to Green lake.

I've seen people doing this and looks fun… is there a place to rent tubes/inflatable boats or do you have to buy your own? Do you take a bus out to Green Lake first or just walk?

June 27, 2015, 7:44 a.m.

in the end I think most non-bike things to do in Whistler involve wishing you were on your bike

Agreed. I am still bringing my AM bike and planning on doing rides in the valley every morning hopefully.

June 27, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

I've seen people doing this and looks fun… is there a place to rent tubes/inflatable boats or do you have to buy your own? Do you take a bus out to Green Lake first or just walk?

homehardware sells those shitty explorer boats….but if you take a bus to green lake, you've already lost, you want to start on the north end of Alta Lake and end at Green Lake. Lakes are a definite good call, especially with the heat. I'd second Ancient Cedars up cougar mountain, very cool big trees, and a nice little hike.

June 27, 2015, 2:26 p.m.

Take bug spray if you go up to Ancient Cedars.

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

June 27, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

We just buy the cheap Explorer boats. Lock a cheap bike at the rec centre then drive vehicle with boats to Rainbow Park. Inflate, float down then draw straws for who rides the bike back to pick up the vehicle while the others deflate the boats.

You can also rent canoes through some of the local companies … not worth it and not as much fun as floating down.

June 28, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

We just buy the cheap Explorer boats. Lock a cheap bike at the rec centre then drive vehicle with boats to Rainbow Park. Inflate, float down then draw straws for who rides the bike back to pick up the vehicle while the others deflate the boats.

You can also rent canoes through some of the local companies … not worth it and not as much fun as floating down.

what rover said.
Just be warned that the place can get fairly family unfriendly if you get caught up with a bunch of hammered people yelling, swearing etc on the way down. Its all jsut luck of the draw as to how many people are out though