What happened to the Cypress bike park?

Oct. 11, 2013, 3:31 p.m.

Didn't it get started before the Olympics and just never come back?

Surely there are enough local riders these days to support a smaller version of Whistler are there not?

Oct. 11, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

I would buy a seasons pass every year.

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 11, 2013, 5:38 p.m.

Last week Global did a story on Hemlock and the plans for a bike park there. At the end of the segment tey said that Cypress is up for a 'review' this season, eluding to expansion ie. bikepark

Oct. 11, 2013, 5:50 p.m.

this thread is like picking at a old scar…

:cry:

OH Cypress, how you dropped the ball on that move..:mad:

Oct. 11, 2013, 6:37 p.m.

Last week Global did a story on Hemlock and the plans for a bike park there. At the end of the segment tey said that Cypress is up for a 'review' this season, eluding to expansion ie. bikepark

Lol

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 11, 2013, 7:39 p.m.

ugh.. only if they get some fast lifts in. the problem with those old style lifts is they have to run them at half speed so you can load your bike.

Ferrnie has this problem on the one chair there.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Oct. 11, 2013, 10:44 p.m.

ugh.. only if they get some fast lifts in. the problem with those old style lifts is they have to run them at half speed so you can load your bike.

Ferrnie has this problem on the one chair there.

That's true. Unless it's detachable, it might be a job to get your bike on. Like the ones at Mt. Baker that slam you in the back when you get on.

Thread killer

Oct. 12, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

The limited operating season at the top of the mountain doesn't help. When would opening day have been this year, June?

Something lower down the mountain would be more feasible, but no one is championing the idea.

Oct. 12, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

The limited operating season at the top of the mountain doesn't help. When would opening day have been this year, June?

Something lower down the mountain would be more feasible, but no one is championing the idea.

ummm how would their season be any shorter then say Whistlers ???

i went to the Cypress park when it was open, and it was a excellent option vs the time/travel to whistler..

shame but the bean counters rule the world.. guess the powers that be cant see past the end of their nose and understand that running the bike park for a single season was not gunna allow them to see a return that quickly on the investment.

alot of local riders didnt even know the bike park existed till after it was already closed…:swearing:

Oct. 12, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

Id ride the slow lift to do laps on that dh track allllll daaaaaaaay looooong!

Oct. 12, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

Lower down the mountain? Like through the backyards of the Asian McMansions?

I heard they're going up another switchback and all the way around to the bay with the wonderful developments. I saw a bear looking confused in a newly felled McMansion plot the other day. I was sad.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 15, 2013, 10:38 p.m.

ummm how would their season be any shorter then say Whistlers ???

Snow lasts later into the summer on Cypress than it does on Whistler.

Elevation at the top of Fitzsimmons is 1,000 m. Black Mtn is 1,180 m, about 200 m higher. Being north facing makes a big difference as well.

I'm not saying it's not do-able, just that a longer season would make it more financially viable. The operator has to make money or it ain't gonna happen.

Oct. 16, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

The operator has to make money or it ain't gonna happen.

well of course they do..

but i dont think any bike park that initaly opens sees a return greater then the investment on the first year of operation..

but heres to hoping the Cypress park does return, im just not holding my breath

Oct. 16, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

Lower down the mountain?
I heard they're going up another switchback and all the way around to the bay with the wonderful developments. I saw a bear looking confused in a newly felled McMansion plot the other day. I was sad.

Remember when people in WV was freaking out about roadside advertising by the Squamish band? How a few roadside signs would "ruin nature" and driving to and from their McMansions in a clearcut. Bad Indians … does anyone think they volunteered to live next door to and downwind from the sewage plant?

Oct. 16, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

Snow lasts later into the summer on Cypress than it does on Whistler.

Elevation at the top of Fitzsimmons is 1,000 m. Black Mtn is 1,180 m, about 200 m higher. Being north facing makes a big difference as well.

I'm not saying it's not do-able, just that a longer season would make it more financially viable. The operator has to make money or it ain't gonna happen.

Just move to operation to the sunrise, skychair side! problem solved…. not to mention the sweet log rides available through slash and moons!