shed is being torn down

Feb. 16, 2004, 2 a.m.

If there is a lawsuit, I hope the parents loose and have to suck up the court costs.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 16, 2004, 10:38 a.m.

Delta Parks is at again finishing what they couldnt on Friday.

If you've read any of this and posted support, please take a moment to call or email Delta City Council and voice your opinion.

to call and politely harass Delta City Council :) - contact page

Delta Parks Direct:
604-946-3293 - Tel
[email protected] - Email

We need and appreciate everyone's support on this even if you're never ridden in there.

Thanks

Dave

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 16, 2004, 2:30 p.m.

i just sent my two cents. they won't like it though.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Feb. 16, 2004, 3:54 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the majority of emails may be in the distasteful form - and I'm sure most us/shed heads would try to take the diplomatic route on this and figure out what sort of accord we can reach with Delta in regards to establishing riding in the Shed to stay.

Feb. 16, 2004, 4:11 p.m.

oh, i was very polite. i just basically disagreed with their decision. i do expect them to get back to me, but since i am not living anywhere near delta at the moment, i can't expect it anytime soon…

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Feb. 16, 2004, 4:18 p.m.

Originally posted by Incorrigible
i just sent my two cents. they won't like it though.

Probably best to keep it polite, IMO. You'll get a better response. For what it's worth this is what I emailed them….

I am writing to protest the destruction of mountain bike trails in Delta watershed by Delta City Council.

British Columbia, and Greater Vancouver in particular has a rich heritage in mountain biking and is world famous for it

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Feb. 16, 2004, 6:22 p.m.

Nicely worded Peter and thank you.

Feb. 16, 2004, 6:33 p.m.

there is just no explaining some peoples thinking……:rolleyes:

endorphin junkie

Feb. 16, 2004, 8:17 p.m.

That is so lame they came back. Feel your pain, all. Never ridden there (hoping that I can hope to someday). That said, I took several minutes of my evening to correspond as well…

Greetings,

I am writing this e-mail on behalf of the situation evolving over the demolition of trails over the last two working days (Feb. 14th [HTML_REMOVED] 16th) in the Delta Watershed area.
Being from Seattle, WA, I have yet to ride these trails that have been torn down and had set aside a day with my group to come up there this summer to experience what I've heard so much about. A good community of riders that enjoy what they are doing. Riding.
Sometimes to a challenging level. It is the 'nature of the beast', not any different from the assumed risks of hockey. There is an unwritten rule within the majority of the cycling community that you ride at your own risk. Also, there is a saying - 'know your limits' - that applies as well. I have hurt myself (and will again) many a time and have yet to file a single lawsuit in relation to any of my 'accidents'.
I have heard that recently a young boy hurt himself - possibly a broken wrist and/or collarbone. That IS unfortunate and all hope for his speedy recovery and return(?). It is also rumoured that there may be a lawsuit involved with this case which I find to be petty, in my own personal opinion.
For alot of people both young and old, losing access to these trails will greatly reduce the quality of their lives. Some (maybe alot) of these people's lives hinge upon having a place close to home that they can get away from the everyday life. Without it, I wouldn't be surprised if a decent percentage of the riders rode alot less and thus leading them into other avenues such as gangs and/or drugs, plus other countless negative outlets that riding keeps them away from.
Ultimately, I would love to see some kind of agreement that could be established so that all parties involved can co-exist. There really is room for everybody and, if properly managed, it can be an asset to the overall community there. As it is, my group [HTML_REMOVED] I will likely detour that region and therefore take our tourist money to another venue that is receptive and understanding of what we REALLY do out there.
Much like other 'new' sports, mountain biking is not as exposed to the general public. They have yet to experience first-hand what it is like to sweep down a steep, banked descent quickly yet in control. If they could feel what I/WE feel, then maybe it would be easier for society at large to understand why we do what it is we do. It is a religion in itself.
I don't agree with motorsports (i.e.-NASCAR), but I respect the people that participate in it. It's what keeps them alive. They have the same 'code of conduct' in respect to being responsible for your own actions.
ASSUMED RISK.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and, again, I will hope for a way for all to peacefully co-exist in this beautiful land of ours.

Sincerely,

Andy Voight
36 year-old mountain bike rider - since 1994

I'm amazed that I didn't use the work fuck that whole time!
;)

Good luck with the situation.

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Feb. 16, 2004, 9:27 p.m.

the situition is over a broken collar bone, not a broken wrist…. i know who he is, hes 15 and goes to my school. IS it a rumour about the "lawsuit" or is for real?

does anyone actually know?

Feb. 16, 2004, 10 p.m.

Originally posted by [email protected]
[B
If the kid broke his wrist rollerblading on the seawall, would they sue Vancouver? Would Vancouver jack-hammer is and put grass over it as a result? NO.

I couldnt have said it better. sucks a lot about the shed though. RIP

Feb. 16, 2004, 10:04 p.m.

Originally posted by rampage 01
**the situition is over a broken collar bone, not a broken wrist…. i know who he is, hes 15 and goes to my school. IS it a rumour about the "lawsuit" or is for real?

does anyone actually know? **

collar bone, wrist. its still a dumb non life threatening injury. bottom line is the kids parents over reacted and city of delta jumped on the band wagon too. if my parents sued someone every time my bro fell off his bike and injured himself, mtb biking would be illegal in BC.

Feb. 16, 2004, 10:54 p.m.

its all going to hell in a hand basket.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Feb. 16, 2004, 10:56 p.m.

:announce: As many of you as possible HAS to represent in any way that is positive. Bottom line…the ball's in OUR court now.

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Feb. 16, 2004, 10:56 p.m.

word on the street is that, parents said nothing to the city, a city worker was on the scene, or saw the guy hurt after, and asked what happened ( as he was in obvious pain)