Pleasant-ville

Feb. 24, 2015, 8:50 a.m.

I know it isn't optimal, but in this case I think this sign would apply:

How can I yield if I'm in the air though? Hard to stop when you're airborne, even with Saints.

Feb. 24, 2015, 8:57 a.m.

If anyone is getting that much air on Pangor, they must be Wade Simmons on a trampoline….What's the biggest dorp? 3ft? You'd maybe not see Peter Dinklage walking a Dachshund but everyone else should be pretty obvious.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 24, 2015, 8:58 a.m.

How can I yield if I'm in the air though? Hard to stop when you're airborne, even with Saints.

I'm guessing it if went to court the judge would use typical traffic rules, you can't proceed until you know the route is clear.

Look before you leap…

~~~~~~~~

Even the WBP has problems with people stopping in landing zones and theoretically that is all serious mtn bikers since they paid ~$50 a person to be there.

On a mixed use trail, you have to expect that there will be people walking up the trail, not expecting to see mountain bikers even if the trail is signed bike primary.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9 a.m.

Come on, the point is that even though these trails are 'multiuse' they really shouldnt be. Theres an accident just waiting to happen. With areas that have as much traffic as the north shore there needs to be rules and a 'yield to so and so' sign doesn't cut it anymore.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:05 a.m.

really? You clearly missed my point. there are points on some of these black diamond trails that you can't see that far past and if doing any drops are gaining speed fast. That's great that you slowly crawl down calling out that your biking down a bike primary trail but personally I don't want to run someone down or have to hurt myself to bail off the trail.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't get this attitude. There are very few spots on Seymour and Fromme combined where a hiker could be standing/walking where I would struggle to stop in time not to hit them. If you have this problem, then you're riding out of control and it's your problem. And before this turns into a bragging match, no, I don't ride particularly slowly.

Really people? Sure, the trails may be designated biking primary, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't expect to have to slow down briefly and say 'Hi' and 'thank you' when you encounter another trail user.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

Rules only work if people respect them and there is enforcement.

On the NS mtns we don't have either.

Making trails mountain bike only is likely a non-starter on public land trails, other than for special events when the land owner grants a permit for a race.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:07 a.m.

Come on, the point is that even though these trails are 'multiuse' they really shouldnt be. Theres an accident just waiting to happen. With areas that have as much traffic as the north shore there needs to be rules and a 'yield to so and so' sign doesn't cut it anymore.

BC already has too many rules. Hell, I'm not even allowed to drink a beer in a park, or cross the road where there's no crossing WTF. Screw that, just look out for each other.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:12 a.m.

BC already has too many rules. Hell, I'm not even allowed to drink a beer in a park, or cross the road where there's no crossing WTF. Screw that, just look out for each other.

Totally agree. Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to understand.

Quick story. Wifeys friend is a runner and posts pics on her instagram of trails she runs, mostly 'multiuse' trails on fromme. In one she's sitting at the base of Expresso smooth with a caption saying something along the lines of 'check out this bike stunt'. Now YES she has every right to be there but I challenge any one of you to stop halfway down to avoid a collision. Its impossible to see the runout until youre already commited. God forbid I should warn her that she should be careful.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

Quick story. Wifeys friend is a runner and posts pics on her instagram of trails she runs, mostly 'multiuse' trails on fromme. In one she's sitting at the base of Expresso smooth with a caption saying something along the lines of 'check out this bike stuntwalking poleething like that. Now YES she has every right to be there but I challenge any one of you to stop halfway down to avoid a collision. Its impossible to see the runout until youre already commited. God forbid I should warn her that she should be careful.

Presumably the runner would hear riders coming though? Recently I've hiked up Skull, DD, some of new Expresso and most of old Expresso, Grannies, around half of Pangor, Bridal etc etc and even the quietest bike / rider on the planet makes a fair racket in a quiet woodland. Not once have I been surprised by a biker.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:19 a.m.

Quick story. Wifeys friend is a runner and posts pics on her instagram of trails she runs, mostly 'multiuse' trails on fromme. In one she's sitting at the base of Expresso smooth with a caption saying something along the lines of 'check out this bike stunt'. Now YES she has every right to be there but I challenge any one of you to stop halfway down to avoid a collision. Its impossible to see the runout until youre already commited. God forbid I should warn her that she should be careful.

What if it's an ultra-cool enduro pro climbing up the Expresso rock. Who has right of way? FWIW I've seen more people head UP expresso on bikes than I've encountered hikers.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

I've hiked up a lot of these trails, and you can hear MTB'ers coming down for miles. If she's stopping for a selfie at the bottom of a stunt, hopefully she's aware enough to be listening.

If there was a fallen tree at the bottom of Espresso smooth, but you rolled in blind, is that the tree's fault?

I came around a corner in the fall, and a deer was in the middle of the trail. I was pretty pissed that it hadn't checked trailforks to determine where the deer-primary trails were. Little bastard screwed my KOM.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

Fair point HOWEVER mountain bikers generally are more aware of mountain bikers and know what mountain bikers are capable of and what our limitations are ie, stopping halfway down expresso smooth. Hikers can be oblivious to lots of factors pertaining to our skills, especially if said hiker is an old lady who hasnt had good hearing since the 60's.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

If anyone is getting that much air on Pangor, they must be Wade Simmons on a trampoline….What's the biggest dorp? 3ft? You'd maybe not see Peter Dinklage walking a Dachshund but everyone else should be pretty obvious.

Must spread more rep around before giving more to Walleater.

Feb. 24, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

I've hiked up a lot of these trails, and you can hear MTB'ers coming down for miles. If she's stopping for a selfie at the bottom of a stunt, hopefully she's aware enough to be listening.

If there was a fallen tree at the bottom of Espresso smooth, but you rolled in blind, is that the tree's fault?

I came around a corner in the fall, and a deer was in the middle of the trail. I was pretty pissed that it hadn't checked trailforks to determine where the deer-primary trails were. Little bastard screwed my KOM.

What about if another mtn biker had crashed at the bottom on said stunts / obstacles rather than just some "stupid hiker" that didn't know any better. You're in the air and wham a wrecked biker in landing zone. WTF…

Feb. 24, 2015, 11:10 a.m.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't get this attitude. There are very few spots on Seymour and Fromme combined where a hiker could be standing/walking where I would struggle to stop in time not to hit them. If you have this problem, then you're riding out of control and it's your problem. And before this turns into a bragging match, no, I don't ride particularly slowly.

Really people? Sure, the trails may be designated biking primary, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't expect to have to slow down briefly and say 'Hi' and 'thank you' when you encounter another trail user.

The trail was actually pingu always mix them up but whichever. The fact is if she had been to the side just like sharing a highway we could ha e both gone by via slowing down and saying hi. Instead we had to stop and go right over. Not the end of the world. But why shouldn't you just share? When I hear a bike coming I don't stand in the middle I go to the side with my dog and continue my journey. If you think you can do the wood drop on pingu and stop immediately after I need you to show me some of your hot tricks!