Pleasant-ville

Feb. 24, 2015, 11:33 a.m.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't get this attitude. There are very few spots on Seymour and Fromme combined where a hiker could be standing/walking where I would struggle to stop in time not to hit them. If you have this problem, then you're riding out of control and it's your problem.

exactly. there shouldn't be any scenario where you have to stuff it because of some unexpected hazard - be it bodies or debris. either take the time to scope the line before you unleash world cup shralpage, or adjust your speed accordingly.

Feb. 24, 2015, 2:07 p.m.

^^^ I've actually come across a family having a picnic in the middle of Pangor!

Feb. 24, 2015, 2:49 p.m.

exactly. there shouldn't be any scenario where you have to stuff it because of some unexpected hazard - be it bodies or debris. either take the time to scope the line before you unleash world cup shralpage, or adjust your speed accordingly.

Based on this it's safe to assume you have never been or apart of an car accident ever? Because you always go look ahead and manage your speed for all situations that could arrise no matter the situation?

Feb. 24, 2015, 2:59 p.m.

Based on this it's safe to assume you have never been or apart of an car accident ever? Because you always go look ahead and manage your speed for all situations that could arrise no matter the situation?

Some people do stupid shit and accidents result. Do we therefore prevent people from driving in the interests of safety?

Sometimes branches fall of natural causes and land in the landings of drops, jumps etc. Do we therefore cut all the trees down to prevent this?

Same thing with hikers on 'biking primary' trails. Some hikers will do stupid shit like like have picnics in the middle of the trail and stand to take selfies at the bottom of the Expresso rock-roll. Do we therefore ban hikers from biking primary trails? No, because the vast majority of hikers would listen and be aware the bikes may use the trail and act accordingly.

I think you're clutching at straws and showing a 'me me me' attitude in expecting biking only trails. There will always be a small number of idiots in any usergroup. If you come across one, no harm in a polite and courteous piece of advice and carry on your way. The chances of a) coming across one of the small number of said idiots in b) a section of trail where you can't reasonably stop/slow down are so minute that it really should be a non-issue.

Feb. 24, 2015, 3:13 p.m.

Some people do stupid shit and accidents result. Do we therefore prevent people from driving in the interests of safety?

Sometimes branches fall of natural causes and land in the landings of drops, jumps etc. Do we therefore cut all the trees down to prevent this?

Same thing with hikers on 'biking primary' trails. Some hikers will do stupid shit like like have picnics in the middle of the trail and stand to take selfies at the bottom of the Expresso rock-roll. Do we therefore ban hikers from biking primary trails? No, because the vast majority of hikers would listen and be aware the bikes may use the trail and act accordingly.

I think you're clutching at straws and showing a 'me me me' attitude in expecting biking only trails. There will always be a small number of idiots in any usergroup. If you come across one, no harm in a polite and courteous piece of advice and carry on your way. The chances of a) coming across one of the small number of said idiots in b) a section of trail where you can't reasonably stop/slow down are so minute that it really should be a non-issue.

You totally misunderstood what my whole point was right from the beginning. Never once did I say I wanted to ban hikers on primary biking trails. I hike and bike on the north shore just like everyone else. My point was it is a two way street both bikers and hikers need to be aware of each other and to give way to each other depending on the situation. I don't rage down the hill like I'm trying to win the world cup. But I'm not naive enough to believe that there are situations where it would be hard to stop instantly. I had a time once coming down ladies only where I met a group of people. they were just off the trail as they heard/saw me. But unfortunately the dog that I didnt see didn't and coming to a stop ended with me over the bars because of a root section. Was I mad at them? No. they apologized I said don't worry about.

Feb. 24, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

Everyone on Fromme today was very friendly. Even saw Peter Morin [HTML_REMOVED] thanked him for his efforts.

Thread killer

Feb. 24, 2015, 11:09 p.m.

Okay so I think I hit what I was wondering. We've got a lot of trails, hikers love to hike and like some of our trails, we like to ride up/ down the trails. We mostly get along but we've still got some work.

How do we teach hikers where it's safe / not safe to be on a trail that's bike primary? They don't know the hazards of expresso smooth or some other rock roll so how would they know that they could be in danger? We want to be able to enjoy our ride and not run over a hiker or be able to have some rides where we don't need to be on extra high alert for hikers.

So far I've seen one answer for not needing to be on extra high alert… Cypress. Sounds like there's less hikers there so for myself it looks like I've got some exploring to do (I'm still new around here).

The rest, maybe we ask for some better designated downhill tracks that warn hikers with informative signs. Maybe we get some small signs or even laminated pages up on a few of the stunts on expresso to teach them that the bottom of a rock roll is a dangerous spot?

The opposite side is to have some informative signs for us warning about the potential of hikers on the trails. Expresso again would be a spot where this would work good. Another might be leopard or krinkum crankum from personal experience.

We all want to share and I think we do a good job so far so lets work with it. We've got the conversation started now that we don't want to have a collision so how do we bring the hikers in and non nsmb people?