Old School-Cypress Bike Park

Aug. 15, 2005, 4:12 p.m.

We checked out the new trail-Old School on Cypress on Sunday. This has got to be the trail that Digger has been begging to build since he started up there. Skinnies, steep, rough and rocky. Classic North Shore trail at it's finest. It's still in it's very beginning stages, but I'm pretty sure it'll be my favourite once its done.

We could hear lots of banging and chainsaws in the trees in other areas on Sunday too, it gets better every week up there.

Aug. 15, 2005, 5:34 p.m.

Sweet, I knew a trail like this would come soon.

How longs it take to ride it?

chad

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Aug. 15, 2005, 5:48 p.m.

Kind of a short trail.. Definitely fun.

As I usually fall off skinnies the first time I try them, I was a little anxious about the sign saying the wasps will get you if you fall off :P I got lucky!

Aug. 15, 2005, 5:53 p.m.

i saw u up there dave t
i felt weird saying anything at first because those internet threads…i asked u about ur bike
cypress is chill…the bump before the log on old school got the best of me

Trin, rip 27/11/05

Reading comprehension > you.

Aug. 15, 2005, 7:41 p.m.

i saw u up there dave t
i felt weird saying anything at first because those internet threads…i asked u about ur bike
cypress is chill…the bump before the log on old school got the best of me

I wondered who that was, I was going to wheel around and see who you were, but my wife and her friend had already headed to the truck before I did my last run, and I forgot I had the keys.

Aug. 15, 2005, 8:42 p.m.

I rode it 4-5 mins after it opened, and there was still alot to be done. Rocks were not dirted in and whatnot, but it was still super fun!

Aug. 18, 2005, 11:43 a.m.

it is a good time

one off camberish corner that's still a little lose got me though

minus signature

Aug. 18, 2005, 2:54 p.m.

havent been up there in a month or so now, so i'll have to come up for another day perhaps labour day long weekend

here to ride but i'm to busy building

Aug. 18, 2005, 9:34 p.m.

Old School is a great addition to the park. Steep corners, scary steps, skinnies etc. It also looks like there is another "Shore" style trail in the works; does anyone know?

Aug. 18, 2005, 10:03 p.m.

It also looks like there is another "Shore" style trail in the works; does anyone know?

Maybe the bottom half of it?

chad

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Aug. 19, 2005, 9:42 a.m.

Rode Cypress for the first time last night.
For it's first year it's pretty impressive.
Put it this way, for a local mountain that's easily accesible for an after work rip it's a load of fun and not to be complained about. Plus it can only get better.

Old school is fun. It's slow and tech, I enjoyed the challenge. We'll see how long the trail stands up, it's pretty soft in there.

Thoughts/concerns:

Some of the jumps need tweaking, you can't air a lot of them without easily overshooting them. Some of the jumps are good, others not so good.
Wall rides…. just plain fun. I had a big grin EVERY time after railing them.
There's some areas that have a relatively high risk factor and could do with some netting/padding. You can easily over-cook a berm and the consequences wouldn't be pretty. I didn't have to much concern about it personally, I could just see the potential of it happening.
Overall it's what I would call a more 'thoughful' version of Whistler. I think with riding there and everything being so perfectly groomed you can often hit a new trail or jump knowing that you'll have some time after it to figure out what's coming next. Cypress isn't like that, you need the know the trail before you can really rail it.
I like some of the crested corners where the bike gets light and drifts.
Some of the corners a quite loose, it's great skill building stuff to make sure you can rail them time and time again.
I like the contruction of the trails, those guys have done a great job.
I like that I left work and got quite a few runs in and had a grin on my face.

Those that have bagged on the place will surely be eating their words in a couple of years.

Jon-boy.

Aug. 19, 2005, 11:14 a.m.

ditto, I've been having fun up there. I kinda like the second half of the green run, very drifty corners and wide open, very different from what we normally ride on the shore

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 19, 2005, 11:28 a.m.

Those corners are great for learning how to corner and drift the bike a little. Keep off the brakes!!!!!

Jon-boy.

Aug. 19, 2005, 5:29 p.m.

Rode Cypress for the first time last night.
For it's first year it's pretty impressive.
Put it this way, for a local mountain that's easily accesible for an after work rip it's a load of fun and not to be complained about. Plus it can only get better.

Old school is fun. It's slow and tech, I enjoyed the challenge. We'll see how long the trail stands up, it's pretty soft in there.

Thoughts/concerns:

Some of the jumps need tweaking, you can't air a lot of them without easily overshooting them. Some of the jumps are good, others not so good.
Wall rides…. just plain fun. I had a big grin EVERY time after railing them.
There's some areas that have a relatively high risk factor and could do with some netting/padding. You can easily over-cook a berm and the consequences wouldn't be pretty. I didn't have to much concern about it personally, I could just see the potential of it happening.
Overall it's what I would call a more 'thoughful' version of Whistler. I think with riding there and everything being so perfectly groomed you can often hit a new trail or jump knowing that you'll have some time after it to figure out what's coming next. Cypress isn't like that, you need the know the trail before you can really rail it.
I like some of the crested corners where the bike gets light and drifts.
Some of the corners a quite loose, it's great skill building stuff to make sure you can rail them time and time again.
I like the contruction of the trails, those guys have done a great job.
I like that I left work and got quite a few runs in and had a grin on my face.

Those that have bagged on the place will surely be eating their words in a couple of years.

Agreed about those jumps. They are kind of.. random almost, like they were an afterthought. I think to make them a little better and more flowy they'd have to build them higher and/or dig in front to make it more jump-ish. Although, it is a blue run, and that would make it more difficult, so it works i suppose. But it does look like they are building better larger jumps on one trail underneath the chair. I'm excited for those ones.

Aug. 19, 2005, 7:36 p.m.

they'd have to build them higher and/or dig in front to make it more jump-ish.

I hear what your saying but I don't think they are meant to be "dirt jump" style jumps. I like the shallow transition as it makes them easier to hit at high speed where you can just float to the landing transition. There are a few that should be lengthened though as it is too easy to overshoot the landing (and I don't go that big at all).