MEC expansion in North Van. (Merged with rezoning thread)

Nov. 20, 2010, 8:17 p.m.

The fact is that we have an OCP and all kinds of studies that taxpayers have payed for. If the city allows this, it will send a message that all those plans and studies are meaningless and more developers will line up to rezone land. Aside from all the other impacts already mentioned, that will drive up prices for land and rent. This could have the very real effect of forcing the existing LBS out of the market. If we weren't concerned about that, we wouldn't be responsible business operators.

A few small businesses stand up and point out the hypocrisy of both the city and MEC and our motives are questioned??

Don't you live in West Vancouver. Aren't your stores in the District of North Vancouver and Vancouver?

What CITY of North Vancouver businesses or residents are opposing this?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 20, 2010, 8:35 p.m.

Don't you live in West Vancouver. Aren't your stores in the District of North Vancouver and Vancouver?

You not read the other thread?

Bicycle Sports Pacific (District)
Cove Bike Shop (District)
John Henry Bike Shop (City)
North Shore Bike Shop (City)
Obsession Bikes (City)
Steed Cycles (City)
Deakin Equipment (City)

Nov. 20, 2010, 9:16 p.m.

Bike shop labor rates are nuts but when you calculate how much it costs to run a bike shop they are quite reasonable. What's nuts is that shops have to charge this much just to stay in the black.

I was riding for about 3 months when I realized learning how to service my own bike was the only option and I really don't understand or have any sympathy for people who can't.

DIY or STFU and pay me.

lets go on a date?

Nov. 20, 2010, 10:33 p.m.

O, its gross right now, but I bet it would get lots worse. First MEC expands, then Wal Mart moves in, then Bed Bath [HTML_REMOVED] Beyond, then IKEA…:crazy:

NV already has a walmart and BB[HTML_REMOVED]B.

Nov. 20, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

NV already has a walmart and BB[HTML_REMOVED]B.

Beat me to it. But it would be sweet to have a CostCo.

Speaking as a District of NV resident (yeah, this is a 'city' issue), to hell with industrial land on the shore as far as I'm concerned. Rezone the hell out of it.

Nov. 20, 2010, 10:42 p.m.

What do the industrial peeps think about the potential loss of land? Strangely no-one seems to have mentioned them yet.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 21, 2010, 2:03 a.m.

Sharon your really opposing this with authority are you working for MEC?

Nov. 21, 2010, 9:14 a.m.

Sharon your really opposing this with authority are you working for MEC?

It just seems odd that someone who doesn't even live in the City of North Van nor have a business in the City would so strongly oppose a decision by the City.

Especially when they have never participated in other political issues that would benefit their business.

Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Why ask for political support on a mountain bike forum when there are other political forums where people might actually support the point he's trying to make?

And no, other then having an MEC membership and shopping there and having received dividend cheques from MEC, I have no other affiliation with them.

I don't think I'm alone in my opinion or questions.

Nov. 21, 2010, 10:38 a.m.

I don't think I'm alone in my opinion or questions.

No you are not.

Mike got all hot and bothered when MEC first decided to sell bikes and sent letters to Bicycle Industry News opposing it, calling it unfair. This is just a spin off from that veiled in another form.

Nov. 21, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

No you are not.

Mike got all hot and bothered when MEC first decided to sell bikes and sent letters to Bicycle Industry News opposing it, calling it unfair. This is just a spin off from that veiled in another form.

to spin off of that, how many MEC bikes has anyone seen purchased, and being ridden by someone, since they started selling them?

I've seen one.

If they were that much of a threat, you'd see a lot more.

Nov. 21, 2010, 2:23 p.m.

to spin off of that, how many MEC bikes has anyone seen purchased, and being ridden by someone, since they started selling them?

I've seen one.

If they were that much of a threat, you'd see a lot more.

I have seen only one. And it was one a staffer borrowed to try out.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2010, 2:24 p.m.

No you are not.

So, does this mean they will be going after Sport Check next? I know they have a "mechanical" bike service as well.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 21, 2010, 5:52 p.m.

So, does this mean they will be going after Sport Check next? I know they have a "mechanical" bike service as well.

Sport Check is not a Co-op.

Nov. 21, 2010, 6:04 p.m.

Sport Check is not a Co-op.

I know.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 21, 2010, 6:37 p.m.

it's the coop thing that so many blood sweating bike shop owners see as being an unfair advantage. It would be different if others were allowed to set their business up in the same manner, but from what I understand that is no longer possible.

I prefer small businesses to large corporations personally, but the fact is that an independent business person carries so much less clout than these corporations.

Maybe it is time for some kind of organization. Give BTAC some teeth or grow regional 'guilds' or something. Something's gotta give. I don't relish a future where my only options lie with one corporation instead of numerous small independent businesses.

Corporations are the red headed stepchild of capitalism, and their success is the harbinger of the demise of a free market and free people.