Finally - My Adidas Slopestyle article

July 6, 2006, 6:24 p.m.

haven't you heard, it's not cool to wear armour and a full face lid at the dj's or these comps. at least that's what the teenagers are saying these days.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 6, 2006, 7:48 p.m.

Those photos were all ASS shots

BAZING!

i just looked at them again, i didnt see to many ass shots, i dont know what the hell your talking about.

July 6, 2006, 8:17 p.m.

I like your picture of Boyko hitting the dirt…he's about three inches from it, and the timing of the shot is great! There's one dude in an orange shirt cheering the crash that catches my eye.

I love this shot! The people on the left are all in awe, people in the middle with cameras making sure they get the shot, the guy in the orange shirt tossing the horns and Boyko looking like superman crash landing, just awesome! Definatly the best crash shot i have ever seen.

Big up all the JUNGLISTS in the place! BO!

July 6, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

i just looked at them again, i didnt see to many ass shots, i dont know what the hell your talking about.

Adidas Slope Style shots…

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

July 6, 2006, 11:13 p.m.

To wrap 'er up - the proof is in: pro or not, slopestyle has a high attrition rate and it calls wearing armour, and it's looking more and more absent when we read these articles.

Totally Agree

July 6, 2006, 11:55 p.m.

that's just the way the industry is moving, towards the BMX/snowboarding/skiing influence. how much armour do those guys wear? it's not like i approve of not wearing armour, but if you guys start to enforce rules like "must compete with elbow pads," you are going to lose some serious support and viewership.

or not, since mountain biking slopestyle applies more to the mainstream than quite a few other action sports. we shall see.

in regards to the article, nice work Cam!! I found it very well written and of refreshingly good quality compared to most of the stuff we get from the magazines and press these days. The pictures were also very good, Markus Greber did well in covering the event.

davidlang.me |

July 7, 2006, 1:34 a.m.

I like the last two articles you have posted Cam.

The slopestyle article specifically addresses the concern about rider safety versus glory. It's not often that this side of the story is heard. Seems like over half of the field DNF'd on at least one run. Not a good percentage.

I enjoyed the poke at Marzocchi rep Bryson Martin in the Marzocchi 2007 article. I'm not sure about the context of your entire conversation with him, but his words "Marzocchi has spent "10 years on our own" in the single crown freeride market" sound arrogant.

July 8, 2006, 12:10 a.m.

haha sychro always mr. safety.

as a rider i would like to point out that the limited movement of wearing armour is more of a danger to someone riding slopestyle than the riding itself. i cant beelive u think its a goiod ideaa to strap pads al lover your body so u cant move and try to be able to have free movement. untill u ride anything near to slopestyle i dont wabnna hear any of these smartass comments outta u

TFJC - WE ALWAYS WIN
Free YAYO
LIL KIM IS FREE
Free Tony Danza
MID LIFE CRISIS MTBER

July 8, 2006, 11:31 a.m.

haven't you heard, it's not cool to wear armour and a full face lid at the dj's or these comps. at least that's what the teenagers are saying these days.

Who does REALLY give a damn…if it is about your own personal health. Most of the kids have to experience severe discomfort before they start getting wise !?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2006, 3:56 p.m.

Because a severe injury affects more than just the rider down. I've always felt that health care shouldn't be free if it was found out that someone could have lessened the injury by wearing a helmet/seatbelt. My feelings do carry over to wearing any other protective gear.
I have yet to hear a good reason to not wear armour.

July 8, 2006, 6:03 p.m.

i think its crazy that the level of competetion is getting so high that serious injuries are so abundant. like cam said, the only way to make the podium now is to pull off huge tricks on such big jumps that the injury to success ratio is huge!
scary.

[

July 8, 2006, 6:26 p.m.

you guys are definatley overreacting

4 straight days of riding, from like 10 am to 6 pm and there was only maybe 5 injuries that are hardly major

July 9, 2006, 4:40 a.m.

cool artical, wa a good read!!! and really good pics

am pretty stoked to see darren pokoj an aussie in 5th. there wasnt a mention of him in the artical, any notables from his runs?

July 9, 2006, 6:49 a.m.

you guys are definatley overreacting

4 straight days of riding, from like 10 am to 6 pm and there was only maybe 5 injuries that are hardly major

hey - these are PROs only….imagine your run-off-the-mill kid who sees The Claw busting all this with a teapot and a plain shirt and leg armour only and gloves, thinking: If he does not have to wear it why should I ??

It has sth to do with responsibility of the riders with regard to their image…..

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 9, 2006, 7:41 p.m.

How about some love for some of the local, home grown talent, like Geoff Gulevich and Ross Measures? From what I hear, there was some killer riding from these kids at Saalbach!

These kids have grown up on the Shore and been raised by some great riding peeps. They finished 6th !!!! and 9th !!!! ahead of many 'big name' riders, yet hardly a mention.

Where's the love?

DB