Ski Poles?

Nov. 20, 2007, 8:57 a.m.

do you use pole straps or not? I use em on the way up in the bc but even tho I like the wrist action using straps going down I am more often than not in the trees SO I take em off my wrists in case they snag on something going dh and kack yer shoulder/arm/wrist

btw I always thro an extra pole in the thule if I go on a trip … don't wana be buying a set of 50$ poles at a resort if something breaks

Nov. 20, 2007, 2:07 p.m.

do you use pole straps or not? I use em on the way up in the bc but even tho I like the wrist action using straps going down I am more often than not in the trees SO I take em off my wrists in case they snag on something going dh

btw I always thro an extra pole in the thule if I go on a trip … don't wana be buying a set of 50$ poles at a resort if something breaks

I usually ski with them off if I'm in the resort, but if I'm BC, I usually keep them on my wrists… I don't mind if I drop them/lose them inbounds because it's usually pretty easy to find… When I'm away from the lifts though, it's a little harder to get them if you take a tumble.

Nov. 20, 2007, 4:49 p.m.

I once sat down on Glacier Chair, I was on the in side and my basket got caught in between the bolts that held the lift to the ground and bent the bottom 6 inches when I went foward on the lift, it was just dangling there…..

mtbskierdad

Nov. 20, 2007, 5:28 p.m.

I once sat down on Glacier Chair, I was on the in side and my basket got caught in between the bolts that held the lift to the ground and bent the bottom 6 inches when I went foward on the lift, it was just dangling there…..

6 inches is average

meh

Nov. 20, 2007, 6:17 p.m.

don't know about you guys, but i've always kept straps off in the BC, up or down. I want to be able to ditch my poles asap if i get caught in a slide.

don't know why you want longer poles, i find it less tiring to not even use my poles except for balance on the way up, but it's nice to have a short one on sidehills

Nov. 20, 2007, 6:56 p.m.

I used to use adjustable poles, but I got sick of adjusting them or changing hands every time I turned back across the hill. The adjustable poles were good for long traverses, but that's about it. Now I just use regular pole with some duct tape on them.

It all comes down to what you're willing to put up with.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Nov. 20, 2007, 7:16 p.m.

don't know why you want longer poles, i find it less tiring to not even use my poles except for balance on the way up, but it's nice to have a short one on sidehills

I think Lee geeked out on this and actually did a semi controlled test with his heart rate monitor and found that indeed less energy is burned and you can skin faster by not using your arms/poles.

Nov. 20, 2007, 7:25 p.m.

I think Lee geeked out on this and actually did a semi controlled test with his heart rate monitor and found that indeed less energy is burned and you can skin faster by not using your arms/poles.

Actually? I would have thought it would be the other way…

Nov. 20, 2007, 7:26 p.m.

I have a set of black diamond expedition poles(3 section) and I would not recommend them for skiing down. I only use them on the way up and I've still bent them. The locking mechanism on the black diamonds is really nice though. I think one of their carbon 2 piece poles would be the way to go.

Nov. 20, 2007, 9:09 p.m.

you don't go faster. you just use about 5% less energy but that only applies to shallow tracks. Same principle as long distance speed skaters not using their arms when skating on the straightways

Nov. 20, 2007, 9:12 p.m.

always practical for back country

i know its not the most practical thing but seriously go watch idea, pep fujas skis no poles backcountry and it works fine for him

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Nov. 20, 2007, 9:33 p.m.

I have this theory that if you don't use straps, your hands are working harder to hang on to the poles, which keeps your hands warmer

Nov. 20, 2007, 9:42 p.m.

i know its not the most practical thing but seriously go watch idea, pep fujas skis no poles backcountry and it works fine for him

Yeah, maybe if I had a helicopter flying my around everywhere…

Ever try bootpacking/skinning with no poles?

No dice.

I have this theory that if you don't use straps, your hands are working harder to hang on to the poles, which keeps your hands warmer

:lol: maybe

Nov. 20, 2007, 10:16 p.m.

Dunno what you guys are doing with poles apart from crashing on them a lot. I have a pair of old Komperdells that must have a good 15 seasons on them. I only do 25-30 days a year now, but those poles must have over 1000 days of skiing. Very slight bend in one and tons of scratches and nicks, but never broken. Always wear the straps, in the trees or not.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Nov. 20, 2007, 11:09 p.m.

I've had the same pair of kinked Smith race bend poles since 1996. I've always used that type and every once in a while I try and use straight ones and it wierds me out. Kinked poles actually reach down the hill better to find pole plants in stupid, steep, steeps but I gotta admit they look wierd with powder baskets over top of the little go fast stubs. The collapsable ones suck and in my admittedly limited experience with them, they collapse and break without fail.

Poles initate turns and more than that i believe learning to properly pole plant is the beginnng of making pretty turns and I say that in the most masculine way. Style.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.