Cycling BC AGM - the state of racing in BC

Oct. 6, 2012, 6:49 p.m.

this is where WORCA I think is unique in the club format. It wasn't made to do events like most clubs seem to be about, WORCA started to keep access to trail open for mountainbiking in Garibaldi Park. While that fell through the trails in the valley flourished and the goverment took notice or the benefit of a good and manitained trail system and put money towards it. We are a tourist town so this is a no brainer to bring more people here.

mtbskierdad

Oct. 6, 2012, 7:44 p.m.

Interesting email today…

A may newsletter in august. Certainly a rushed comment piece. It would seem that the board of cbc are aware that they made a mistake last year.

Did all cbc members get this letter?

Oct. 6, 2012, 7:45 p.m.

A may newsletter in august. Certainly a rushed comment piece. It would seem that the board of cbc are aware that they made a mistake last year.

Sorry, its october now isn't it?

Oct. 6, 2012, 8:26 p.m.

Seems to be sent to the standard distribution list. Not a private email…

Yes it is Augtober… Riding today in a light jersey and seeking shade during a ride… can't be October.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 6, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

yes i did. i think i originally got it in may as well, although i can't seem to find the email anymore. i remember getting something from CBC a few months ago that made me wonder what was going on - actually i think that was a different email, something to do with bmx.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that someone forgot to change the "may" to "october"

Oct. 6, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

what are these issues with CBC that some of us may not be aware of?

Oct. 6, 2012, 10:19 p.m.

what are these issues with CBC that some of us may not be aware of?

here you go….amazing what goggling "cycling bc rumours" will find ya!

http://pedalmag.com/?p=175100[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=rss[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=rss[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=cycling-bc-controversy-erupts-over-thanksgiving-holiday-weekend

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 7, 2012, 8:36 a.m.

here you go….amazing what goggling "cycling bc rumours" will find ya!

http://pedalmag.com/?p=175100[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=rss[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=rss[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=cycling-bc-controversy-erupts-over-thanksgiving-holiday-weekend

Wayne states in his press release that there are a number of issues. Does anyone have any idea what and how many other issues there are?

This will be an interesting AGM this year. We'll find out if the cbc borad has any teeth.

Oct. 7, 2012, 8:18 p.m.

Huge issues in the bmx world. Check out this….

http://www.phpbb88.com/bmxbc/viewtopic.php?t=1866[HTML_REMOVED]mforum=bmxbc

The email earlier in the summer came from Keith at cycling Bc and was regarding cycling Bc coaching for bmx and said coaches also coaching for ABA.

It could be a raucous AGM, or not.

Oct. 7, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

this is where WORCA I think is unique in the club format. It wasn't made to do events like most clubs seem to be about, WORCA started to keep access to trail open for mountainbiking in Garibaldi Park. While that fell through the trails in the valley flourished and the goverment took notice or the benefit of a good and manitained trail system and put money towards it. We are a tourist town so this is a no brainer to bring more people here.

FVMBA wasn't made to do events…but there are only so many people who will buck up to be members just to support trails.

Oct. 8, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

I think the challenges and opportunities facing the sport in our province are complex and also are diverse in that they mean different things to different stakeholders and regions.

Our club has primarily been a race organizer and to that end would love more support from CBC to continue to put on excellent races to be enjoyed by as many as possible.

We also understand the need for trail advocacy, trail maintenance, grassroots involvement, building youth and having some kind of connection to high performance racing.

Too often the conversation seems to be framed as one dimensional, whether that be around insurance or trail building. IMHO this is doing a diservice to the vast needs of our large and diverse province.

In times of change like this it is also too easy to let emotions get the better of rational thought. Let's all just relax a bit and go for a ride and be measured in our discussions and responses. Ultimately this will benefit us in the long run

http://www.westcoastcycling.ca

Oct. 8, 2012, 3:53 p.m.

Huge issues in the bmx world. Check out this….

http://www.phpbb88.com/bmxbc/viewtopic.php?t=1866[HTML_REMOVED]mforum=bmxbc

The email earlier in the summer came from Keith at cycling Bc and was regarding cycling Bc coaching for bmx and said coaches also coaching for ABA.

It could be a raucous AGM, or not.

This is an issue across Canada. And having BMX as an Olympic sport probably has stirred it up even more.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 8, 2012, 4:45 p.m.

IF your reason of hosting events is to do it the cheapest way possible,so be it.
CBC's AGM gives all a chance to ask questions and see where your interests lie.
Some times those of us who don't feel looking down at our navel is where we are at .
I like to look at the big picture, when the Olympics are on, my chest swells seeing Canadian atheletes.
How did they get there, parents,CBC coaching, dreams,which to their credits they sacrificed,over and over.
When I look at the terrible BMX split and how it's put parent against parent,kid against kid.
You don't want to go there.
No one can compete against the U.S. BMX organization ABA when it comes to money.
Their competition is the best for us locally. When you see Canadian kids proudly wearing full U.S flags as cloths( I am not kidding) their parents smiling ,I wonder why?
Don't allow yourself to be driven into the BMX fight, it is full of ugliness and hate.
Mtnbikers, don't deserve this or need it.
Come out to the AGM, put in your two cents and be heard, make cycling better in BC.
Don't slam those who try ,while you are too busy and the keyboard easy and ghostlike.
Watching kids on bikes, with the glow of youth, I know why I do what I do.
it's not for politics, its for the future.
gary Harder

FVMBA Website

Oct. 8, 2012, 7:09 p.m.

IF your reason of hosting events is to do it the cheapest way possible,so be it.
CBC's AGM gives all a chance to ask questions and see where your interests lie.
Some times those of us who don't feel looking down at our navel is where we are at .
I like to look at the big picture, when the Olympics are on, my chest swells seeing Canadian atheletes.
How did they get there, parents,CBC coaching, dreams,which to their credits they sacrificed,over and over.
When I look at the terrible BMX split and how it's put parent against parent,kid against kid.
You don't want to go there.
No one can compete against the U.S. BMX organization ABA when it comes to money.
Their competition is the best for us locally. When you see Canadian kids proudly wearing full U.S flags as cloths( I am not kidding) their parents smiling ,I wonder why?
Don't allow yourself to be driven into the BMX fight, it is full of ugliness and hate.
Mtnbikers, don't deserve this or need it.
Come out to the AGM, put in your two cents and be heard, make cycling better in BC.
Don't slam those who try ,while you are too busy and the keyboard easy and ghostlike.
Watching kids on bikes, with the glow of youth, I know why I do what I do.
it's not for politics, its for the future.
gary Harder

Very Wise words Gary. I have A hard time believing this is still going on. It's hard living in the shadow of the giant.

Oct. 11, 2012, 5:18 a.m.

Has anyone been able to get to the main site of cycling BC? I can get onto the individual discipline page but not the main one, looking for information about the upcoming AGM. It is in Abbotsford, does anyone have the address? Since it is at 10am, it will definitely be hard for people from the Island to get there.