COVID-19

April 11, 2020, 1:01 p.m.

Good people, ask yourselves this:

Who do you know that had a badass 30 hour flu from Nov-Jan? I know a lot.

And who do you know that knows someone with the sars2? Zero so far. My cousin was tested and came back negative.

April 11, 2020, 6:05 p.m.

Now, it turns out, while Wall Street traders have taken on greater health risks of catching the coronavirus by traveling to work on mass transit and working in a potentially contaminated building, some of the biggest banks will collect a death benefit should the employees die from the virus.

Wall Street banks own a form of life insurance called BOLI, short for Bank-Owned Life Insurance. The death benefit pays to the corporate owner of the policy, in this case the banks, not the employee or their family. Because it’s a life insurance policy, it has a lot of nice perks for the banks’ bottom line. The cash benefit of the policy builds up tax free while the policy is in force and the paid death benefit is free of federal income taxes. The bank is supposed to get the employee’s permission before taking out the policy but there is little evidence that employees know what they’re signing when a huge stack of papers is pushed in front of them on their hire date.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/10/wall-streets-banks-could-profit-by-millions-on-coronavirus-deaths-of-employees/

April 11, 2020, 6:43 p.m.

We had 

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

And who do you know that knows someone with the sars2? Zero so far. My cousin was tested and came back negative.

Ya a bunch of people at work were sick after Xmas break. Harsh flu, off for a week or two. Everyone was sick, just was how sick. Haven't seen a flu rip thru an office like that in a few years.

April 11, 2020, 10:48 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/b-c-ferries-busy-on-long-weekend-even-during-pandemic/

Thanks Mainland.

But also: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/reports-of-crowded-ferries-overblown-most-people-staying-home-b-c-health-officer-1.5530117

Note the bit about what being at capacity currently means.

April 12, 2020, 7:07 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

We had 

Ya a bunch of people at work were sick after Xmas break. Harsh flu, off for a week or two. Everyone was sick, just was how sick. Haven't seen a flu rip thru an office like that in a few years.

I don’t like this line of thinking. I’ve heard it too much from some of the young guys and some of the country bumpkins I work with. “ don’t worry it’s no big deal, I’ve already had it.” If you haven’t been properly tested you can’t say for sure. It’s not like other strains of the flu have gone on vacation just because Covid came to town. The worst is some of these folks think that the precautions don’t apply to them. News flash, they are starting to see some get reinfected in Korea. There is a possibility that some can get it again or at the very least can carry and still transmit it. Far too careless to think like this.

April 12, 2020, 7:35 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

We had 

I don’t like this line of thinking. I’ve heard it too much from some of the young guys and some of the country bumpkins I work with. “ don’t worry it’s no big deal, I’ve already had it.” If you haven’t been properly tested you can’t say for sure. It’s not like other strains of the flu have gone on vacation just because Covid came to town. The worst is some of these folks think that the precautions don’t apply to them. News flash, they are starting to see some get reinfected in Korea. There is a possibility that some can get it again or at the very least can carry and still transmit it. Far too careless to think like this.

Not thinking that way at all. Have a wife with asthma at home so wanna keep it out of the house for sure. Glad I didn't get sick, those who did had a very rough ride.

April 12, 2020, 8:30 a.m.

We had

Not thinking that way at all. Have a wife with asthma at home so wanna keep it out of the house for sure. Glad I didn't get sick, those who did had a very rough ride.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it to sound like I was calling you out. It was more about the broader picture. Like I said, starting to hear that way too much.

Last edited by: FLATCH on April 12, 2020, 8:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 12, 2020, 10:39 a.m.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it to sound like I was calling you out. It was more about the broader picture. Like I said, starting to hear that way too much.

Then how crazy is everyone else if other people are saying what I am ;) Seriously though - nothing seems right about this at this stage. Perhaps I'm expecting too much Hollywood and panic but look at:

- at first it'd be racist to close the airports and we didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings by avoiding them, which we now all do as Social Distancing. We gave the virus more time to spread then.

- The province or city has converted the Convention Centre to triage center basically but we cancelled all non essential surgeries before b/c we couldnt convert it sooner or plan more effectively? Last time I checked, everywhere was short of HCW and Pro's - who's staffing it?

- CDC and other 'bodies' are now greatly reducing their projections. They were grossly inflated. Follow the money. I think US Medicaid reimburses $39,000USD per COVID diagnosis.

- anyone seeing ambulance drivers without PPE? Or are they still short on masks?

I'm still of the opinion that Vancouver and the whole damn West Coast should've been ground zero before end of March, or on a timeframe very similar to Italy. I'm not saying there isn't a beervirus. Just the reaction to it doesnt match the numbers yet. And I'm mad because IT WAS THE CANUCKS YEARS THIS YEAR!! Thats why they had to shut the world down - couldnt handle another riot.

April 12, 2020, 10:52 a.m.

If you haven’t been properly tested you can’t say for sure. It’s not like other strains of the flu have gone on vacation just because Covid came to town. The worst is some of these folks think that the precautions don’t apply to them. News flash, they are starting to see some get reinfected in Korea. There is a possibility that some can get it again or at the very least can carry and still transmit it. Far too careless to think like this.

Missed this part of your reply: but what do we know about the testing? It's not specific for the new SARS2, its just a blanket beer test from my understanding. SARS2 has 3 strains floating around now. This is just something we deal with now. I say the domino's are set up so lets push on.

The fact they want to keep us locked down until a vaccine is available is ridiculous. Can you vaccinate against a corona virus with one jab? Or would it be more of a yearly vaccine like the flu shot? Same reason why we dont have a cold vaccine imo. I also sure as hell dont trust Gates to come up with this Vax - just google Gates/Africa or Gates/India/. I just did and google gave me Snopes for the top two answers. Nope, no agenda going on there at all.

April 12, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

S'all good Flatch , I wanna see the end of this dumpster fire as much as anyone else.

April 12, 2020, 11:52 a.m.

Most of the west coast of N.America got on the social distance right away. Possibly why we are seeing fewer numbers in our part of the country. Washington state did a good job,it would seem, of getting on top of it. I think we only need to look to Europe to see potential projections never mind places like New York.

All elective surgery was canceled to free up health care, nobody really knows for sure what this virus is capable of if left alone to do its thing. Besides, who really wants to be around a hospital or a clinic right now.

My next store neighbour is a paramedic and he doesn’t use a mask all the time as they are rationing He says there are some who won’t let him help them till he puts one on. 

As far as the Canucks go I’m some what with you. I don’t agree that it was their year but they  had reached the goal of playing meaningful games into the stretch. It would have been wonderful to see them in playoffs, I would have been pleasantly  surprised if they had made it past the first round considering Markstrom’s injury.

April 12, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

In 1992, the National Center for Biopreparation (Biocen) was established. It fabricates products from its own research as well as that of other research centers, including the Center of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, the Center for Immune Biology (founded in 1991), and the Finley Institute (also founded in 1991). Among the products that it fabricates is the Interferon Alfa-2B compound of the CIGB, which Biocen fabricates in a liquid form as well as freeze-dried powder. In the production process, the active pharmaceutical ingredient is formulated at CIGB; then at Biocen, the ingredient is poured into vials, inspected, and packaged for presentation to national and international markets.

Interferon Alfa 2B has become one of the most utilized medicines in the treatment of the Covid-19 pandemic. To date, forty-five countries from all regions of the world have placed an initial order with CIGB for the product.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/10/cuban-development-of-biomedical-high-technology/

April 12, 2020, 8:23 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Now, it turns out, while Wall Street traders have taken on greater health risks of catching the coronavirus by traveling to work on mass transit and working in a potentially contaminated building, some of the biggest banks will collect a death benefit should the employees die from the virus.

Wall Street banks own a form of life insurance called BOLI, short for Bank-Owned Life Insurance. The death benefit pays to the corporate owner of the policy, in this case the banks, not the employee or their family. Because it’s a life insurance policy, it has a lot of nice perks for the banks’ bottom line. The cash benefit of the policy builds up tax free while the policy is in force and the paid death benefit is free of federal income taxes. The bank is supposed to get the employee’s permission before taking out the policy but there is little evidence that employees know what they’re signing when a huge stack of papers is pushed in front of them on their hire date.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/10/wall-streets-banks-could-profit-by-millions-on-coronavirus-deaths-of-employees/

This is so America it hurts.

April 12, 2020, 9:46 p.m.

I may be wrong but I believe that form of life insurance is common in many sectors for highly-paid employees.

Creepy, but if you stand to lose a lot of money from someone's death you should probably insure them, corporation, spouse or whomever. 

I shudder to think of what this does to the risk level that a corporation is willing to subject their employees to.

April 12, 2020, 9:46 p.m.

I may be wrong but I believe that form of life insurance is common in many sectors for highly-paid employees.

Creepy, but if you stand to lose a lot of money from someone's death you should probably insure them, corporation, spouse or whomever. 

I shudder to think of what this does to the risk level that a corporation is willing to subject their employees to.