The Riots of 2020

June 4, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Found another quote from Obama, this one is agreeable:

"Let's not excuse violence, or rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system, and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we have to model that code ourselves,

Typical apologistic horseshit from the master of horseshit himself. Fuck Obama, he's a "Tom", and made himself irrelevant. Quoting Obama proves one's self equally irrelevant.

Obama understands this too, butt prefers to keep his mouth shut of the truth and his nose polished brown by sticking it up the filthy assholes of amerikkkas toxic shit spewing elites.

We will see how irrevelant he is - remember Baltimore? Remember "if Obama had a son"? He's either trying to co-opt this for Nov momentum or he's just being his divisive self.

June 5, 2020, 11:58 a.m.

Anybody seen PB this morning? They've got a front page article addressing race and accessibility. 

Meanwhile all we've got is a thread titled "Riots 2020", not "Potests" mind you. Content provided by Marcus blithely plowing ahead with inane nonsense.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/race-and-accessibility-in-the-mountain-bike-community.html

June 5, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Anybody seen PB this morning? They've got a front page article addressing race and accessibility. 

Meanwhile all we've got is Marcus blithely plowing ahead with his inane nonsense...

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/race-and-accessibility-in-the-mountain-bike-community.html

I think to a large degree because of it's bigger audience PB has more voices that verge on on the negative side of social issues such as racism. I find here on NSMB that the community does a good job of policing itself when it comes to bigotry and hate, so you very rarely see it here and it is quickly extinguished. As to the wider issue of minorities participating in mtn biking I think it's well know that mtb'ing is not an inexpensive activity and that the cost represents a huge barrier to participation. The conversation also needs to include poverty and the reasons for it as the rates of poverty in Canada for ethnic people are more than double that of caucasian people.  When it comes to participation rates by various races/ethnicities it's important to consider the demographic make-up of Metro Van. When you compare that to the mtb'ing public they do not line up. Of course there are reasons beyond cost though as to why mtb'ing seems to be a mainly white activity and the visibility of your own kind in an activity is one of those (this applies to things beyond sport as well, such as politics). For instance in Vancouver the black community is quite small, so even if cost was not a barrier to access we probably wouldn't see high mtb'ing participation figures by black people. However if you switch that thinking to Indigenous people, then there's a conversation to be had, especially on the North Shore. In general, on a societal level we're still a white dominant culture where being white is considered the preference or norm.

IMO there is definitely room for some sort of program that focuses on getting Indigenous people into mtb'ing both by removing barriers such as cost as well as into trail building. I think there are some amazing opportunities for the NSMBA to potentially develop programs that focus on Indigenous youth and mtb'ing and I know there is some interest there. I could see an amazing program that connects mtb'ing with Indigenous communities in the S2S corridor.

June 5, 2020, 12:48 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

. I think there are some amazing opportunities for the NSMBA to potentially develop programs that focus on Indigenous youth and mtb'ing and I know there is some interest there. I could see an amazing program that connects mtb'ing with Indigenous communities in the S2S corridor.

There are.  

Video linked from here

https://nsmba.ca/trailsforall/

https://youtu.be/x5l5WjdNPPk

June 5, 2020, 1:04 p.m.

Meanwhile all we've got is a thread titled "Riots 2020", not "Potests" mind you. Content provided by Marcus blithely plowing ahead with inane nonsense.

Just for you then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Imagine if it was inanely that simple.

June 5, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

I think to a large degree because of it's bigger audience PB has more voices that verge on on the negative side of social issues such as racism. I find here on NSMB that the community does a good job of policing itself when it comes to bigotry and hate, so you very rarely see it here and it is quickly extinguished. As to the wider issue of minorities participating in mtn biking I think it's well know that mtb'ing is not an inexpensive activity and that the cost represents a huge barrier to participation. The conversation also needs to include poverty and the reasons for it as the rates of poverty in Canada for ethnic people are more than double that of caucasian people.  When it comes to participation rates by various races/ethnicities it's important to consider the demographic make-up of Metro Van. When you compare that to the mtb'ing public they do not line up. Of course there are reasons beyond cost though as to why mtb'ing seems to be a mainly white activity and the visibility of your own kind in an activity is one of those (this applies to things beyond sport as well, such as politics). For instance in Vancouver the black community is quite small, so even if cost was not a barrier to access we probably wouldn't see high mtb'ing participation figures by black people. However if you switch that thinking to Indigenous people, then there's a conversation to be had, especially on the North Shore. In general, on a societal level we're still a white dominant culture where being white is considered the preference or norm.

IMO there is definitely room for some sort of program that focuses on getting Indigenous people into mtb'ing both by removing barriers such as cost as well as into trail building. I think there are some amazing opportunities for the NSMBA to potentially develop programs that focus on Indigenous youth and mtb'ing and I know there is some interest there. I could see an amazing program that connects mtb'ing with Indigenous communities in the S2S corridor.

Well said per norm Syncro. 

As a whole we're doing pretty ok here I think? 

Unconscious bias is mother fucker though. 

Terms we all need to become familiar with and use appropriately:

Racist

Prejudiced

Conscious Bias

Unconscious Bias

June 5, 2020, 4:01 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

There are. 

Yeah I was aware of that, just thinking of something ongoing that the NSMBA could potentially run/host.

June 5, 2020, 4:07 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah unconscious bias is definitely a thing and it can be a challenge to check your bias if you’re not aware of it. Lately I’ve been wondering if we should move away from terms like that tho and just label it as one’s conditioning. That takes the blame part out of it and leaves people a little more open to learning and potentially changing. And yes, I’d agree we do ok for the most part on here.

June 6, 2020, 11:02 a.m.

I liked what Eliot Jackson had to say on the subject, especially around the 4 minute mark.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CA8vs4xJTbq/?igshid=1awy225n8817o

June 7, 2020, 1:46 p.m.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1269599929976213508?s=20

This is Minneapolis..?

June 7, 2020, 4:40 p.m.

Yup. East Lake St. not far from where I spent my childhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/e+lake+street/@44.948298,-93.2373362,437m/data=!3m1!1e3

St. Paul, Minnesota mayor Melvin Carter fired the first shot when he declared that every arrested protester was not from his state. But in fact the opposite was true, and 85% of arrestees were Minnesotans . Carter sheepishly responded that he had received bad information. The obvious and easily proven inaccuracy makes that assertion highly unlikely.

He and others began using very dangerous talking points. They claimed to grieve for Mr. Floyd and expressed a desire to see justice done while also saying that white protesters were using the demonstrations for nefarious ends. They even evoked the “outside agitator” trope from the bad old days of Jim Crow segregation. They pleaded for peaceful protest or no protest at all and some of them told outright lies.

https://www.blackagendareport.com/freedom-rider-black-misleaders-seek-end-protest

You related to this guy chup?

“If it is white supremacists, if it is Russians, if it is other foreign actors who’ve tried to exploit the pain and exploit legitimate protests, then this is a new level in our country, and they should be arrested and prosecuted as well,” said the overly dramatic Morial. Rice said the protests were, “Right out of the Russian playbook.”

Last edited by: tungsten on June 7, 2020, 4:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 7, 2020, 5:47 p.m.

**Posted by: tungsten

**... Rice said the protests were, “Right out of the Russian playbook.”

By Russian do they mean Bolshevik?

June 8, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

Thanks. Yeah unconscious bias is definitely a thing and it can be a challenge to check your bias if you’re not aware of it. Lately I’ve been wondering if we should move away from terms like that tho and just label it as one’s conditioning. That takes the blame part out of it and leaves people a little more open to learning and potentially changing. And yes, I’d agree we do ok for the most part on here.

I like that.  We have so many ways that we judge people that all of us are guilty of, so if we use blame and shame it just leads to dishonest conversations.  Setting up systems in our minds that use stereotypes is engrained in all of us.  I also think that talking about racism in these terms is not particularly helpful without the larger picture because the subtle prejudices that we all have are far more complicated than racism.  It is more Bayesian where our many unconscious biases working together.  Our perspective on attractiveness, for example, plays a massive role and is rarely talked about.

June 8, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I like that.  We have so many ways that we judge people that all of us are guilty of, so if we use blame and shame it just leads to dishonest conversations.  Setting up systems in our minds that use stereotypes is engrained in all of us.  I also think that talking about racism in these terms is not particularly helpful without the larger picture because the subtle prejudices that we all have are far more complicated than racism.  It is more Bayesian where our many unconscious biases working together.  Our perspective on attractiveness, for example, plays a massive role and is rarely talked about.

It's a very different way of thinking than most people are used to or even aware of and is informed by critical thinking principles swathed with empathy and human welfare values. When you get into it, it's an amazing combination that is hard to argue against.

June 8, 2020, 11:31 p.m.

Hamilton Nolan

@hamiltonnolan

If all the companies saying “Black Lives Matter” would stop making it impossible for their workers to unionize it would cause a transfer of wealth to black and brown working people a thousand times greater than any charity donation and that is exactly why they won’t do it

2:20 PM - Jun 6, 2020