The Decline of Vancouver.

April 8, 2016, 3:22 p.m.

Must be a bummer to have tax free income source dry up. No sympathy here.

I had a roommate who grew and slanged. He made fake invoices for "massage therapy" and did his taxes to the dime every year.

People assume growers don't pay taxes but most do. If they didn't it would be hard to explain their assets and lifestyles.

www.natooke.com

April 8, 2016, 3:22 p.m.

No shit. Jail them for income tax evasion.

You're talking about the panama papers right?

www.natooke.com

April 8, 2016, 3:47 p.m.

April 8, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

I had a roommate who grew and slanged. He made fake invoices for "massage therapy" and did his taxes to the dime every year.

People assume growers don't pay taxes but most do. If they didn't it would be hard to explain their assets and lifestyles.

Cool.

Then buddy should be able to get a small business license and keep on doing his thing. I'm all for having a 'craft weed' industry.

April 8, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

You're talking about the panama papers right?

fuk i already rep the other one..

but solid lol..

April 8, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

Cool.

Then buddy should be able to get a small business license and keep on doing his thing. I'm all for having a 'craft weed' industry.

big time.. let the good times roll.

the reality is that just like the prohibition of alcohol the black market was created by dumb ass laws.you can not govern human behaviour when it comes to consumption. or anything else really. if people want it they get it.

free the weed regulate and tax it like any other commodity. restrict it same as booze. sell it at dispensaries and other facilities as time goes by. again same as beer and wine and whiskey.. there are many,many , many 1000's of folks across Canada that have been made criminals over the years because they participate in an industry that has no business being illegal. some are no doubt happy to not many taxes. makes it hard to buy houses and shit tho.

April 8, 2016, 6:40 p.m.

that^^ would hit Nelson pretty hard lots of cash spent in the mainstreet downtown shops

April 8, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

Dumb ass laws

April 8, 2016, 9:02 p.m.

Like not being able to walk your own beer from the front door to the patio. Dumb ass laws

April 8, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

A smart dope grower doesn't have assets or tries to keep them to a min.

When a dope grower has nothing to take they often don't even get charged, they just lose all their equipment.

When they have assets thats when they get charged so the cops can take all their shit via proceeds of crime ..

if they own their home they would be wise to have the min in equity in it.

April 9, 2016, 6:23 a.m.

that^^ would hit Nelson pretty hard lots of cash spent in the mainstreet downtown shops

well you see i disagree.. if things were legalized regulated and taxed there would be money pouring into nelson.

because we haven't seen it yet here in canada we are unaware of what the legal weed world is looking like down in the USA.

check out this show for mainstream weed world and how money is getting made in Colorado…

http://www.cnn.com/shows/high-profits

or check out this dude from washington state.

medical is great and all, but its is 2016 "the man " needs to fuck off w/ telling adults they can't smoke weed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdfDnqy2aM41aGllYSEg9FA?[HTML_REMOVED]ab_channel=medicropper

April 9, 2016, 7:29 a.m.

Personally I think there will be an adjustment to the economy for a short while (months?) when they legalize while the smart growers figure out how to start a legit business and the stupid ones have to adapt and get a job at 7-11. Once that all gets sorted out I think it'll be business as usual and hopefully we go the way of the legal states in the USA where we can have a big influx of $$$ to our economy to hopefully increase services, build new schools etc and not waste it.

Must be a bummer to have tax free income source dry up. No sympathy here.

nsmb strikes again! I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the price of real estate dropping when marijuana goes legal but regardless, your opinion has been duly noted and passed on to some people who care, don't worry.

Nelson still has that stigma I guess, but the truth is that there is probably as much dope being grown in every other small town across BC (more, probably, since there's many other low-key places to light a basement up in this province). The little trinket shops on baker street (how fitting eh) mostly survive on the tourist season and the odd person who can still afford to "keep it local" and doesn't mind paying through the nose for a pair of socks hand knitted by some kid in Nepal in near-sweatshop conditions (local, eh). For everyone else there's wal-mart

April 10, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Excellent, long read. Worth it on a Sunday;

http://thewalrus.ca/the-highest-bidder/

Few choice quotes:

Manning moved in just before Halloween and immediately stocked up on candy, but only one child came to the door. In February, the city distributed new recycling bins. Many went untouched for days. “I feel like we’re in that movie The Andromeda Strain?,” he says, “where everybody has died from a mystery virus, and we’re the only survivors.”

City hall estimates that 40 percent of all buildings will be rebuilt by 2050. And the new houses—which may end up being inhabited for only a few months out of the year—will be outside the financial reach of almost everyone who works and lives in Vancouver.

But the issue is one of money, not race. Global money is boosting Vancouver’s prices, and local dollars can’t compete. Most troubling is that many homeowners are now selling directly to buyers in China, listing their homes in real-estate exhibitions in Beijing and Shanghai.

The annual analysis, now in its twelfth year, includes all of the Vancouver region’s housing types—even the 290-square-foot micro-condos. The survey’s founder, Wendell Cox, says the city’s detached-house prices are on another plane. “They’re more expensive than anywhere else, by a good margin,” says Cox. “I don’t know how you get out of this situation.”

And what happens twenty or thirty years from now, when the last boomer cashes out? When huge pockets of the city and the region are controlled by wealth generated in another country? When there is no financial district, there is little manufacturing, and there are no industries other than those that cater to rich people?

The downtown has been overtaken by multi-million-dollar condos in skyscrapers, high-end chain stores, and luxury car dealerships. With so few mom-and-pop businesses, pubs, or cafés, the core is dead at night—the streets, empty wind tunnels.

These is the future we are all allowing to happen. Were all complicit in this, and I think its a travesty.

Everyone with their smug attitudes about leaving Vancouver will too be punished by the mass exodus one day. When this equity wave is done rolling over BC, this province will be unrecognizable.

April 11, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

good article. Heres another quote that will drop your jaw

The business of buying, building, and selling houses in Vancouver is worth more to the province than its mining, natural gas, and forestry industries combined.

This is the cash cow property transfer tax.

April 11, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

The real estate vultures are beginning to circle in Lynn Valley. Came home to a "Dear Homeowner" pamphlet taped to my landlords front door.