The BBC asks: What does it mean to be a Canadian?

May 17, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrA4V6YF6SA

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 17, 2012, 12:06 p.m.

Vimey ridge.

It goes more then that, even the Aussies pay tribute to us.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/28/kapyong-a-great-canadian-moment-worthington

Not much fuss was made in Canada about Kapyong, but Australia recognizes its significance, and has ceremonies every year on the anniversary.

On ANZAC day last year, the 60th anniversary of Kapyong, an Australian docu-drama of the battle was aired. The film crew came to Canada and interviewed Hub Gray who fought at Kapyong, and interviewed me who wasn’t at Kapyong, but served with the Pats in Korea and reveres that battle.

Ironically (or maybe no so ironically), the CBC and other Canadian TV outlets weren’t interested in showing the documentary which, although stressing Australia’s role, pays tribute to Canada’s soldiers who held the line.

This came from Ike,

In a recent edition of Britain’s Spectator magazine, Daniel Hannan, Conservative Member of the European Parliament, recalls Supreme Commander of allied forces in WWII, Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, remarking that “man for man, Canadians were the toughest soldiers under his command.”

Further observation,

In the Korean war, Canadian units lost no ground. At the end of that war, the front line had been nibbled away, but Canadians held their positions to the end. Diagrams of the battle line at the end of WWI shows banks of German divisions facing the Canadians, while Germans were thinly sited against the less battle-hardened American divisions.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

who the fuck cares about war.

May 17, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

How gives a fuck what you think?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

Enduramil does.

Pastor of Muppets

May 17, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

How gives a fuck what you think?

I've never met how.

Pastor of Muppets

May 17, 2012, 12:51 p.m.

I've never met how.

How you meet Dr Who? Is he Tungsten in disguise?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

Also fast oranges obsession with china is funny because every mainlander I know and every returning expat to china, says they will never go back.

I'd honestly like to know what considerable money is when the China's Central Bank just gives out huge loans to small business owners not expected to being paid back and with real estate skyrocketing in china.

Last I heard you are paying 10 dollars for a meal, and the food quality is going down.

May 17, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

I think Russel Peters is probably teh best example of what it takes to be Canadian. A good sense if hmour and the respect and admiration of the people around you to be able to laugh at ourselves.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 17, 2012, 1:22 p.m.

Consider this: Vastly more people speak Urdu and Hindi as a first language in the GVRD than speak French.

I would guess Cantonese/Taiwanese/Mandarin and Punjabi would be the most widely spoken languages in the GVRD after English. I don't think there are that many Urdu speakers in the GVRD. Urdu and Hindi share the same grammar and are mutually intelligible, but a majority of Urdu word vocabulary comes from Farsi and Arabic.

May 17, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

I would guess Cantonese/Taiwanese/Mandarin and Punjabi would be the most widely spoken languages in the GVRD after English. I don't think there are that many Urdu speakers in the GVRD. Urdu and Hindi share the same grammar and are mutually intelligible, but a majority of Urdu word vocabulary comes from Farsi and Arabic.

Taiwanese and Mandarin are the same thing except for a few differences in pronunciation.

www.natooke.com

May 17, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

Has "Leading the Giro" been mentioned?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

Beer,bacon, boobies and bureaucracy

fyp

May 17, 2012, 1:29 p.m.

Also fast oranges obsession with china is funny because every mainlander I know and every returning expat to china, says they will never go back.

I'd honestly like to know what considerable money is when the China's Central Bank just gives out huge loans to small business owners not expected to being paid back and with real estate skyrocketing in china.

Last I heard you are paying 10 dollars for a meal, and the food quality is going down.

Food quality is going down all over the world dude…

Also I used to work with a lady who emigrated to Canada with her family. After four years of living in Vancouver they came back to China. But enough with the thread jacking..

I think a lot of being Canadian is realizing we are global country and that thinking internationally is a good thing. Nationalism isn't going to help anyone the way the world is heading…

www.natooke.com

May 17, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

fyp

Hey look!

Another foreigner trying to change the Canadian identity.

Pastor of Muppets