The BBC asks: What does it mean to be a Canadian?

May 17, 2012, 1:37 p.m.

Taiwanese and Mandarin are the same thing except for a few differences in pronunciation.

Hence the slashes … it is considered a regional dialect … Cantonese is also considered a dialect, but less comprehensible to Mandarin speakers. (As you probably know anyways).

May 17, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

Hey look!

Another foreigner trying to change the Canadian identity.

Who's trying to change it? I just fill out my forms and wait with the rest of you. Fortunately I can watch boobies and eat bacon while I do. Oh, and ride my bike.

Cheers Ben

May 17, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

Who's trying to change it? I just fill out my forms and wait with the rest of you. Fortunately I can watch boobies and eat bacon while I do. Oh, and ride my bike.

Cheers Ben

Oh look!

Another foriegner afraid to stand behing his statements.

PS. We make it difficult and frustrating to keep the riff raff out.

Pastor of Muppets

May 17, 2012, 1:59 p.m.

PS. We make it difficult and frustrating to keep the riff raff out.

Ha! Clearly not effective.

May 17, 2012, 4:48 p.m.

I manage a school. I'm the boss and it's one location out of an international English training franchise.

I work 50+ hours a week. On top of teaching a few different groups of students (ranging form 3 years old to 15) I give job interviews, train new teachers. I observe teachers and give feedback. I run workshops that improve the quality of teaching in the school. I meet with parents, managers of other schools and upper management from China's head office on a regular basis.

I have formulated new procedures and methods that have benefited not just my school but other schools in Tianjin.

And I walk into the school every day in shorts, a ragged t-shirt, tattoos and a messenger bag before changing into my suit.

So no..not just any well groomed white person can do my job and make the kind of money I make here but I will admit it can help you get your foot in the door. Fortunately, if you have no skills you'll never get asked to sign another contract. ;)

Congrats. That's a pretty big jump up from just being a teacher.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 17, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

I've never met how.

Me either but I am willing to bet he is outraged.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 17, 2012, 5:42 p.m.

who the fuck cares about war.

You're probably one of the most ignorant person I've ever met on the internet. Why are you still here?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

May 17, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

Oh, I find it funny Imajin's ignorance.

May I suggest you spend a wee bit of time researching an event that occured 200 years ago… it was called the war of 1812. When the Yanks arrogantly thought us stupid colonists would welcome them with open arms like a long lost relative.

If it wasn't for people like Laura Secord, Joesph Brant, Sir Isaac Brock, and others we would all have Mr Obama as our head of state.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 17, 2012, 6:47 p.m.

Silly enduramil….laura secord makes chocolate.

Pastor of Muppets

May 17, 2012, 7:40 p.m.

Silly enduramil….laura secord makes chocolate.

No she makes Ice Cream

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 7:56 p.m.

No she makes Ice Cream

Didn't she play for the Chicago Blackhawks back in the 80s?

May 17, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

I wish that family and friends came before money and work. Im sure I can find that within the borders of Canada though.

People make it out like, I won't survive if I don't have some big fancy job and degrees to my name.

May 17, 2012, 11:19 p.m.

I wish that family and friends came before money and work. Im sure I can find that within the borders of Canada though.

Easy.. find an employer who emigrated here from Europe in the last decade.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 17, 2012, 11:26 p.m.

F

I think a lot of being Canadian is realizing we are global country and that thinking internationally is a good thing. …

Whoa whoa whoa.. there Hippy. What the fuck is this we shit? As I recall you denounced Canada a couple of years ago and tossed your passport. Or are you one of those type who is a Canadian of convenience.. like those who a few years ago whined like a flock of Seagulls being arse raped when the shit hit the fan in Lebanon.?

Has the prospect of being a daddy changed your tune? Or you just scared of daddy going all Kung Fu on yer arse for not marrying his daughter?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 19, 2012, 12:48 a.m.

I think more than anything it means being the US and China's discount resource whore. I'm sure that's how the governments of said countries view Canada.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman