Suits, shirts, ties...

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

Where should I go in Vancouver?

Moore's doesn't quite have the tall and slim fits so their stuff usually ends up looking boxy and or fits nice but too short in the arms/legs.

Also, I figure I can get something decent now that I'm not a starving student. Any recommendations? Each item doesn't necessarily have to come from the same store.

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

How much do you want to spend?

If you want to spend over a grand then Boboli has nice stuff and sometimes you can score good prices, Hills in kerisdale has good tall and thin stuff for under 800.

You can also do custom starting around 800 for basic fabrics, pm me if you want some names.

I personally like the Bay's West End room, the guys there are pretty knowledgeable and the stuff they sell fits well, the strellson and Canadian made stuff they have is nice and their sales are good if you get the timing right.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

How much do you want to spend?

There's the key question right there.

Top end stuff? Harry Rosen, Finn's on Broadway, Dunn's Tailors. Bay downtown has a good selection also (as mentioned).

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:55 p.m.

Moores just sucks. Never had a positive experience.

Fit sucks, quality lacks.

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

Nawt Harry Rosen. But $500-700 is definitely in the budget.

Oct. 29, 2012, 8:58 p.m.

I'd say go with rnayel's idea, hit up the Bay, that men's store in the basement. You'll get the complete range of suits from $150 to $2000. You get to see what the extra $$ gets you and decide if it's worth it to you.

Kn.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

Find a Mexx store , even better if you can find an outlet…. euro style without the Gucci price.

Style on a budget

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

Moores just sucks. Never had a positive experience.

Fit sucks, quality lacks.

Yep, Not a fan myself, but it's a decent choice for saving cash.

I'd say go with rnayel's idea, hit up the Bay, that men's store in the basement. You'll get the complete range of suits from $150 to $2000. You get to see what the extra $$ gets you and decide if it's worth it to you.

Kn.

As much as I hate wadding through the Bay men's department, looks like the best option for me.

Find a Mexx store , even better if you can find an outlet…. euro style without the Gucci price.

Style on a budget

The dress shirts fit great, but most things in there seem a bit off style wise. Might be because Euros are a couple of years ahead in style.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

Style on a budget

The dress shirts fit great, but most things in there seem a bit off style wise. Might be because Euros are a couple of years ahead in style.

Anything I've bought from Mexx, I stopped wearing after 2-3 washes cause I found the fit to be super uncomfortable after a short time.

Moore's is all about volume volume volume and the upsell. You walk in looking for one suit, a shirt and a tie, and you walk out with two suits, four shirts, six ties, a belt a pocket hankie and a pair of shoes. All mediocre quality.

FYI, don't knock Rosen for nice, snappy casual stuff, esp if you hit a sale. Brax slacks can be had for 150-200, fit is fantastic, last for a long time and look good. Match that up with a decent shirt and sport jacket and you'll be ready for the ladykillin.

Kn.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:28 p.m.

Just bought 2 tall and slim suits from Moore's last week. 2 for 1 sale. They had lots of slim and tall shirts too. Paid less for 2 suits, 2 shirts, and 2 ties than I did for my last suit which was 100% custom made in town. Honestly for most purposes the cheaper suits are fine if you can get a reasonable fit and don't wear them too often.

The Bay's own Hudson Room brand now has some nice slim cut shirts, $50 each. Tall sleeve lengths available.

Overall, the Bay tends to be a decent value place. Some of the same brands as Harry's too.

Current suit styles tend to be quite closely cut so off the rack has a good chance of fitting you if you're a skinny guy.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

Club Monaco and Top Man (Just opened in the HBC towntown) are for sure solid options with good designers behind them, and maybe have a look into Banana Republic and Zara as well.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

i didnt know topman opened here. That and H[HTML_REMOVED]M are european staples. really nice modern cuts and also very cheap, without really feeling cheap. they fit me great, not sure about tall people thouhj

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

Nawt Harry Rosen. But $500-700 is definitely in the budget.

It'd be worth a shot. I have a sneaking suspicion their home brand Samuelsson will be on the upper end of that number and it will be better than a similarly priced Chinese made name brand suit you'd buy at the Bay.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

i didnt know topman opened here. That and H[HTML_REMOVED]M are european staples. really nice modern cuts and also very cheap, without really feeling cheap. they fit me great, not sure about tall people thouhj

My brother swears by H[HTML_REMOVED]M and is a lankey POS. The clothing quality is a little bit shit for my liking, Top Man seems like a good remedy to this and still sticks to a lower price than Club Monaco, ect…

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:48 p.m.

I personally like the Bay's West End room, the guys there are pretty knowledgeable and the stuff they sell fits well, the strellson and Canadian made stuff they have is nice and their sales are good if you get the timing right.

Second this

But I thought it was called the Hudson Room? Either way, solid quality and hit it on a sale and you're good to go. Bought several Strellson suits there and even some of their house brand suits were decent (I think they it was the Gianni Fillaci brand?)

Most recent suit purchase was at Banana Republic. If you get in on a 40% off sale its a pretty good buy.