So BC politicians get a raise...

Nov. 19, 2005, 12:04 p.m.

This is awesome…..

I firmly beleive the libs lured the NDP into this to screw them over….every public sector union has to be boiling mad at the NDP for this,but probably pretty much expects it from Campbell.

Carol James pretty much rochambeau'd the HEU and CUPE without even realizing it untill it was too late….beautiful politics….

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 19, 2005, 4:29 p.m.

biopace :lol:

do you guys really think the libs could lure the ndp into this even if they wanted? the ndp voted to give themselves a raise and now it is hitting the fan with the unions, without whom the ndp would have ZERO chance of even being a party in bc… the ndp is trying to backpedell. this is not an ndp thing or a lib thing, it is politians looking out for numero uno

turn off sigs…it will change your life

Nov. 19, 2005, 10:35 p.m.

I think the NDP missed out on a HUGE opportunity here. If they had opposed it, they could have gotten a huge chunk of the province pissed off at the Libs.

Only to vote themselves a similar raise a year into their term if they won the next election.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 19, 2005, 10:39 p.m.

Notwithstanding the raise issue, offering a decent salary (six figures) will increase the quality of candidates running for public office.

I have never seen as many independants running as I have this year in my riding (surrey). If you sweeten the pot, you just get bigger flies.

I'd vote for an HA backed Party/MLA … might as well just merge politics and ogranized crime in the mainstream light..

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 20, 2005, 2:05 a.m.

Gordo did good on this one…gave himself a nice raise and alienated the NDP from the unions in one shot….nice work!

The NDP is purposely alienating itself from unions. Notice how they did/said squat about the teacher's illegal walkout?

Smart move on the NDP's part. Left wingers will always vote for them, and now they're trying to lure in middle ground voters.

a CEO of a company would make a hell of a lot more than $146,000/yr ……

Very true. It's hard to attract talent if you don't pay for it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 20, 2005, 9:08 p.m.

The NDP is purposely alienating itself from unions. Notice how they did/said squat about the teacher's illegal walkout?

Smart move on the NDP's part. Left wingers will always vote for them, and now they're trying to lure in middle ground voters.

not too sure about that one. the unions pretty much finance that party.

Nov. 20, 2005, 9:15 p.m.

I'm sure. They will not survive, as a party, if they continue in the old ways.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 20, 2005, 9:38 p.m.

I'm sure. They will not survive, as a party, if they continue in the old ways.

true. they are looking for balance and to appear more middle. that is gonna be tuff, because if they completley abandon the unions they would be a party with no home

Nov. 20, 2005, 9:42 p.m.

Sure they'll have a home. Like I said, the left will always vote for them. It's the middle ground folks they want as that's the majority of the voters. That's how they got for the two elections before Campbell.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Nov. 20, 2005, 10:35 p.m.

true. they are looking for balance and to appear more middle. that is gonna be tuff

Na it won't be that tough. All they have to do is act like Liberals cause ya know the Liberal Party sure isn't.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Nov. 20, 2005, 11:13 p.m.

The words been said, Teachers Illegal Walkout… And Reggaeman posts again, lol.

Interesting fact, are you aware that as a Canadian everyone may demonstrate their right to Protest, Strike, Walkout, etc… Its under the Chater Of Rights and Freedoms. True Fact, heres another! Woman Illegally struck in order to get their right to Vote, since it was an illegal strike does that mean they should have their rights taken back? Since it was an illegal strike afterall.

I think perhaps one of the largest misconceptions about teachers 'Illegal Walkout ' was the fact that a few years back a Supreme Court Judge, Rice was his name; took Teachers Contracts and a black marker crossed out essentially everything that pertains to Class Size, Imposed Budget Cuts to LAC programs, one of the programs that should have the most Funding to help BC's Learnind Disabled Children get their RIGHTFUL education. How would you feel if your child had Dyslexia and the funding wasn't available to do the tests so that your child could then be taught and given the extra time that he or she deserves. And I could go on but I'm getting off topic.

At that time Rice LEGISLATED a UNION back to work, keeping in mind that a major part of belong to a Union is that you have the right to Collective Bargaining. There was no Collective Bargaining. Moreover, The International Labor Courts actually even said that to the Canadian Government that Rice was far out of line and there should be an investigation into what had happened and the situation should be taken care of accordingly. Long story short, there was no investigation as the International Labor Courts were ignored by Provincial Govn't and not enforced by Federal Govn't.

In my opinion, if a govn't can change the law to fit its own needs and wants then they really don't have any say in the matter of if a walkout is illegal or not. Afterall, International Law said so.

About the Politicians, 99% of them aren't worth a penny of what they get paid, one government spends to much money, and the other screws everyone over but themselves. All in all, wouldn't you rather the Govn't that supports Public Schools, Healthcare, and trys very hard to have excellent Public Systems.

And Money really shouldn't be the root of anything when it comes to the welfare of a country's people. Aswell, the Federal Government declared a $48 Billion surplus. (Thats money after everything has been paid for) There isn't really a shortage of cash.

Thats my rant, I hope I haven't offended anyone! If I have oh well, life sucks and then you die!

|| www.steedcycles.com || www.sram.com || www.rockshox.com ||

Nov. 21, 2005, 1:10 a.m.

_

a CEO of a company would make a hell of a lot more than $146,000/yr ……

Very true. It's hard to attract talent if you don't pay for it.

_the salaries of many ceo's [HTML_REMOVED] politicians is inflated. You're not paying for talent, your just paying an inflated salary based on what the head-hunter's market says they should make.

Think of the housing market, a dilapidated old bungalow sells for 90,000 in 1985, now sells for 350,000 - doesn't mean the house is any better, it's still a piece of crap. So are some of these ceo's and politicians. Trust me, I have seen it first hand where I work.
__

…evolutionism is ridiculous. Look at me for instance.

Nov. 21, 2005, 5:14 a.m.

That does it. I'm starting a grow lawn.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2005, 8:15 a.m.

Interesting fact, are you aware that as a Canadian everyone may demonstrate their right to Protest, Strike, Walkout, etc… Its under the Chater Of Rights and Freedoms. True Fact, heres another! Woman Illegally struck in order to get their right to Vote, since it was an illegal strike does that mean they should have their rights taken back? Since it was an illegal strike afterall.

can you post a link to the document. i don't feel like going to work today. i didn't realize that was my right! that is so cool

once you learn the difference between a strike and protest, you might actually be able to contribute to a conversation on the matter.

i know that sounds harsh, but you have protest (our right to demostrate against injustice) and not working all mixed up

i am against the iraqi war. are you telling me i didn't need to work for the past few years?

Nov. 21, 2005, 8:17 a.m.

the salaries of many ceo's [HTML_REMOVED] politicians is inflated. You're not paying for talent, your just paying an inflated salary based on what the head-hunter's market says they should make.
Think of the housing market, a dilapidated old bungalow sells for 90,000 in 1985, now sells for 350,000 - doesn't mean the house is any better, it's still a piece of crap. So are some of these ceo's and politicians. Trust me, I have seen it first hand where I work.
__

hey professor, when is your next economics class? and my great granddad bought a house for $4000. i don't want to overpay, can you help me find one for under $4100?