site C decision ?

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

re - the farmland. its 30,000 acres which in the scope of Canadian agriculture is fuck all. the peace river consistently has shitty crops due to short growing year(although not this year). your looking at 20-30K of grain when we grow 55 million tonnes in western canada

there are individual farmers in sask and alberta with bigger farms

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

I feel we need to increase energy prices in all formats to get people to really think about conservation.

Can you imagine how people's heads will explode over that? Worth it for the entertainment value alone!

Early this year, our Tier 1 domestic rate in BC went from 6.9 cents/kWh to 7.5 cents/kWh. We sit between Quebec ($0.068 ) and Manitoba ($0.079) for pricing. That means BC went from the second cheapest power in North America … (wait for it) … to the second cheapest power in North America.

And the howls of complaint were deafening!

Think of the children!!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

Because (as I stated) people keep blabbering the same tired old arguments again and again, even though (as I stated) those arguments have been debunked several times over.

Oh, and I also provided point by point refutation of said arguments.

It is a point of view that is thin on facts, thick on exaggeration, and mostly made up shit.

Hence, a shit argument.

what people? the people you were speaking to? form what i recall it was the first time in the thread that these points were brought forward.

i know you refuted those incorrect arguments rather saliently, but maybe others weren't aware of that info which led them to make those incorrect points in the first palce. i'd argue that just because someone is not fully aware of something it doesn't necessarily make their argument shit.

i just think that those not in the know might stand a better chance of taking in your points if they weren't being insulted for theirs at the same time. while their argument may in fact be incorrect is their a need to debase thier argument (and yourself) by calling it shit?

anyway, i appreciate your insight on the topic.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

what people? the people you were speaking to? form what i recall it was the first time in the thread that these points were brought forward.

i know you refuted those incorrect arguments rather saliently, but maybe others weren't aware of that info which led them to make those incorrect points in the first palce. i'd argue that just because someone is not fully aware of something it doesn't necessarily make their argument shit.

i just think that those not in the know might stand a better chance of taking in your points if they weren't being insulted for theirs at the same time. while their argument may in fact be incorrect is their a need to debase thier argument (and yourself) by calling it shit?

anyway, i appreciate your insight on the topic.

ignorance doesn't mean it wasn't a shit argument.

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

re - the farmland. its 30,000 acres which in the scope of Canadian agriculture is fuck all. the peace river consistently has shitty crops due to short growing year(although not this year). your looking at 20-30K of grain when we grow 55 million tonnes in western canada

there are individual farmers in sask and alberta with bigger farms

the guy on cknw was talking about growing more than just grain though and to be honest i don't know what they are growing for crops, just that it seems like part of a reasonable argument against the dam.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:57 p.m.

ignorance doesn't mean it wasn't a shit argument.

i can agree with that, but don't agree on the necessity to call it shit.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:57 p.m.

Ah yes, the same tired old arguments that have been debunked many times over.

Over 95% of the material in lithium-ion batteries is recyclable and can be re-constituted into new lithium-ion packs. The so-called "nasty things" are not actually in LiIon batteries. You're confusing that with older nickel-metal hydride (Nimh) battery tech.

There is an environmental cost to building a car. Any car. So to suggest that building an electric car is somehow a greater enviro cost that any other is pure folly.

Electric cars are typically 80% efficient. That is, 80% of the energy pumped into it goes into making the car move. Contrast with any fossil fool car, the best of which touch into about 25% efficiency, but most are no better than 20% efficient. A lot of the energy in the fuel you pump into your tank goes to making noise, mitigating noise, heat, and unburned fuel going out the exhaust pipe.

Your argument is pretty much shit.

You have to look at the whole supply chain of electricity cars, all the components and the electricity that powers it.

- how much energy and waste does it take to make and recycle batteries?
- who is mining the materials for the batteries? Are these mines not considered enviro issues?
- I cannot speak to the efficiency of electrical cars, but, say 80% of the electricity that goes into them is used to move the vehicle. How efficient is the natural gas generator that generated the electricity ? How many birds were killed by the windmills generating 'green' power?
- there is no 'folly' is questioning how 'clean' electrical cars are really. They are not the salvation that they are made out to be, that is without dispute. All that they end up doing is moving the pollution from the car to the electrical generation, car production and battery 'recycling'.

Of course, under the religious cult of David Suzuki and the enviro apostles, what I am saying is heresy.

Dec. 17, 2014, 2 p.m.

the guy on cknw was talking about growing more than just grain though and to be honest i don't know what they are growing for crops, just that it seems like part of a reasonable argument against the dam.

these folks who mislead the public with bogus arguments to support their cause are doing their debate a disservice. its hard to believe any of their facts

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

these folks who mislead the public with bogus arguments to support their cause are doing their debate a disservice. its hard to believe any of their facts

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you mean, like the politicians?

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:03 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you mean, like the politicians?

them too. trying to persuade the public to back your position by lying to them is short sighted.

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

And before you fools start to argue that "solar is unpredictable" and other bullshit lies, keep in mind that Germany, at a similar latitude and having similar weather, is more than 50% renewable

Speaking of 'bullshit lies', germany DOES NOT generate 50% of it's electricity from renewables. That is a widely circulated falsehood. 45% of their energy generation is from a dirty coal, renewables are very little.

There's a graph stat in this article, best day ever for solar in Germany, over 20% of the power came from solar. I'll admit, that is pretty good, but is it the single best day ever. Worst day? 0.1% from solar. Wow.

http://theenergycollective.com/robertwilson190/456961/reality-check-germany-does-not-get-half-its-energy-solar

Of course, that is electricity only. If we are talking total energy in Germany, so, pulling in what powers vehicles, renewables make up a very small amount of generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany

But, keep on spreading the 'bullshit lies'.

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

so is it false that the area to be flooded represents the best farmland in all of northern bc?

Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:24 p.m.

havnt looked that close splinks although I do know some of it was for growing wheat. alot of stuff close to rivers is irrigated and used for high quality hay so im sure there is some of that

the farmland in northern BC is pretty shitty, mostly because the growing season is short. but really 30,000 acres is really a drop in the bucket for grain/hay producing land. I loaded more grain on a ship today than that produces.

Ironically from what I understand the future of growing the veggies you want to replace from California are best produced in hot houses…..powered by electricity

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

here's a map of the proposed resevoir
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]t=h[HTML_REMOVED]ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]msa=0[HTML_REMOVED]mid=zVmVZ68OsZ2M.kgdzb0_XN7VY

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:43 p.m.

Years ago when I was in eastern europe houses and apartments had these displays that showed the current real time cost of electricity. Thought that was very cool. I am a firm believer in pricing as a motivator. If you knew that your dishwasher would cost $1.50 to run during dinner but $0.50 over night, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would change their behaviour.

How cool would it be to have the ability to know in real time what each appliance would cost you to run, or the current hourly cost of running your home ? If I could see on a screen in my kitchen that it was costing me (to make up a number) $5.00 per hour in current electricity consumption, you know I would immediately be trying to get that number down.