site C decision ?

Dec. 17, 2014, 2:47 p.m.

It is a point of view that is thin on facts, thick on exaggeration, and mostly made up shit.

Hence, a shit argument.

Just like the 'argument' that Germany energy is 50% renewable ?

In the past 2 years the growth of electricity from coal has been 3x greater than renewables.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/04/coal_mines_swallow_towns_in_germany_why_solar_and_wind_haven_t_kicked_the.html

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

In Germany, coal use is decreasing, while renewables are increasing.

Based on audited data:

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:08 p.m.

Somehow that doesn't quite look like 50%.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

In Germany, coal use is decreasing, while renewables are increasing.

Based on audited data: (I'm not going to re-post your images)

SO, thank you for agreeing with me that Germany does not produce 50% of their energy from renewables. Wind, solar and biomass production, as per your chart, is only 27% of production for the first 10 months, less than brown coal alone. And that is only the first 10 months, solar production will be lower in the last 2 months of the year, being winter as it is.

That was big of you to point out the error in your earlier statistic, I am sure that the board really appreciates it. We would all benefit if more people were as humble.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

Years ago when I was in eastern europe houses and apartments had these displays that showed the current real time cost of electricity. Thought that was very cool. I am a firm believer in pricing as a motivator. If you knew that your dishwasher would cost $1.50 to run during dinner but $0.50 over night, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would change their behaviour.

How cool would it be to have the ability to know in real time what each appliance would cost you to run, or the current hourly cost of running your home ? If I could see on a screen in my kitchen that it was costing me (to make up a number) $5.00 per hour in current electricity consumption, you know I would immediately be trying to get that number down.

Check out my posts in this thread about the in-home display, it is available now for most BCH customers.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

Dated, but an interesting Sankey diagram for Canada's energy use.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

ouch, Ken gets served

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

Based on audited data:
(Again, I will not keep your charts, easy enough to scroll up

These charts point out the biggest problem with wind and solar, actual utilization. Let's run some numbers based on the first 10 months. There are about 7.300 hours in the first 10 months of the year, if we look at the installed power, 100% utilization and actual utilization, something becomes very evident (with apologies for a 'hard to read' chart, I left nice spaces in here when I wrote the post, they get eliminated when I post):

Source, GW Installed, TWh Potential, TWh actual, Utilization

Uranium 12.1 88.3 74.7 85%
B-coal 21.2 154.8 115.9 75%
H-Coal 27.8 203 80.0 40%
Wind 35.7 260.7 38.6 15%
Solar 38.1 278.2 31.5 11%

Renewables are highly unreliable. If we extrapolated the solar 11% utilization to replace the 196TWh of coal, would require 244 GW of installed solar capacity. Of course, could not do that, there is the night and winter to deal with.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

US Energy Use:

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:35 p.m.

ouch, Ken gets served

That's a highly dubious claim. While the claim of 50% of German power is at least supportable as "installed" capacity, Myk's claim that Germany's renewable power sources are insignificant, and that coal usage in Germany is increasing are both demonstrably wrong.

Also, most include hydro power as a renewable. And if we add up all "non-emitting" sources (which includes nuke), then Germany is doing quite well as that total approaches 50% of generated power.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:38 p.m.

- there is no 'folly' is questioning how 'clean' electrical cars are really. They are not the salvation that they are made out to be, that is without dispute.

Well, I'm disputing it. Got facts?

All that they end up doing is moving the pollution from the car to the electrical generation, car production and battery 'recycling'.

Yes, all that pollution from those hydro generators in BC. Even if the bulk of power for EVs comes from coal, the efficiency still means that the pollution per car per km travelled is much less.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

That's a highly dubious claim. While the claim of 50% of German power is at least supportable as "installed" capacity, Myk's claim that Germany's renewable power sources are insignificant, and that coal usage in Germany is increasing are both demonstrably wrong.

Also, most include hydro power as a renewable. And if we add up all "non-emitting" sources (which includes nuke), then Germany is doing quite well as that total approaches 50% of generated power.

Installed capacity does not mean squat, see my above post, the utilization is crummy on solar and wind.

Love that you want to include nuclear power, I'm a big, big fan. Expensive as all sin to build, but the pollution is highly localized. Well, until a Chernobyl comes along.

Also a big fan of Hydro, which is why I think we're having this discussion, the approved plan to build a non-emitting electrical generating plant in our province!

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

it's pretty disingenuous to compare modern nuclear tech to Chernobyl.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:54 p.m.

Check out my posts in this thread about the in-home display, it is available now for most BCH customers.

Wow, sorry, I must have missed your earlier post. You are referring to this . . .

http://www.bchydro.com/powersmart/residential/smart_meters___conservation/monitors.html?WT.mc_id=rd_energymonitor

That is AWESOME ! Going to request one of those now.

Dec. 17, 2014, 3:56 p.m.

it's pretty disingenuous to compare modern nuclear tech to Chernobyl.

Agreed. I just needed to point it out before someone else did. Not to mention that the Soviets were not well known for safety and openness, it took the west to detect elevated radiation levels spilling over to the west before the Soviets admitted that anything happened.

As I mentioned, I am a big fan of nuclear. Think we should build more of it, store the waste deep underground, decrease our reliance on dirty energy and energy from repressive regimes.