site C decision ?

Dec. 19, 2014, 3:56 p.m.

sob

sorry, man … I wasn't thinking. I was just trying out some "common sense", and … and … and I just couldn't stop, man.

There is a pill for that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 19, 2014, 4:39 p.m.

Why would we not want it to be cheap ? Ever run a business and electricity is one of your main expenses? If costs tripled, how would that conversation be with an employee that you have to fire so you can 'keep the lights on'? Cheaper power results in more profits of companies, which results in more taxes paid on those profits. It also leaves families with more money in the bank. Money that can be spent in the economy, or saved for retirement, kid's education fund or something else.

By your logic, food should be more expensive so people will waste less. They may be able to afford less, which is great because less will be thrown away.

It's pretty obvious why cheap power is a good thing.

this basically boils down to environment vs economy. we could reduce our consumption massively in many areas but it would be sucky and therefore we don't want to.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 19, 2014, 4:50 p.m.

BCH's own report clearly states that almost double the capacity of Site C could be freed up from the current mix of sources, simply through demand side management (DSM), which is just a fancy way to say "less waste".

Why would we not want it to be cheap ? It's pretty obvious why cheap power is a good thing.

because if it wasn't so cheap, or at least if people didn't waste as much as they do, we wouldn't need to spend $8billion on a new dam and destroy a perfectly nice valley.

then again, you seem to not care about conservation so that's probably why you missed the connection.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2014, 5:55 p.m.

I remember years ago I asked if people shit off the tap when they brushed their teeth. The results were quite surprising in that a lot of people left the tap running. For no reason.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 19, 2014, 6:41 p.m.

Why would we not want it to be cheap ? Ever run a business and electricity is one of your main expenses? If costs tripled, how would that conversation be with an employee that you have to fire so you can 'keep the lights on'? Cheaper power results in more profits of companies, which results in more taxes paid on those profits. It also leaves families with more money in the bank. Money that can be spent in the economy, or saved for retirement, kid's education fund or something else.

By your logic, food should be more expensive so people will waste less. They may be able to afford less, which is great because less will be thrown away.

It's pretty obvious why cheap power is a good thing.

You're clearly missing the point. It's already cheaper than anywhere else, except Quebec. Clearly, business is surviving in other, much more expensive jurisdictions thankyouverymuch. So BC Hydro rates could go as high as 15 cents per kWh, yet the cost would still be competitive with areas with much more business than BC. But the benefit would be better conservation by residential customers.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 19, 2014, 7:11 p.m.

I remember years ago I asked if people shit off the tap when they brushed their teeth.

that's gross.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

hahaa i scrolled up to see if it actually did say that and it did and I laughed.
true story.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 19, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

From what I understand, Hydro has another plus - flexibility. Spare capacity can be introduced to the grid which be adjusted up or down and turned on and off relatively quickly according to supply and demand, unlike any other power generating source I am aware of.

Gas turbine generating stations are also very responsive, but aren't very efficient since much energy is lost as waste heat. However, they will run for as long as you can feed fuel into them, so a lot of power companies have them as a backup to keep the grid from going too haywire if something unexpected happens.

Dec. 19, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

You're clearly missing the point. It's already cheaper than anywhere else, except Quebec. Clearly, business is surviving in other, much more expensive jurisdictions thankyouverymuch. So BC Hydro rates could go as high as 15 cents per kWh, yet the cost would still be competitive with areas with much more business than BC. But the benefit would be better conservation by residential customers.

Ask the manufacturing sector in Ontario how hydro rates aren't affecting them.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 19, 2014, 8:57 p.m.

Ask the manufacturing sector in Ontario how hydro rates aren't affecting them.

grumble

Wynne and McGuinty can take a flying fuck of a short conveyer belt.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/ontarians-paying-billions-extra-for-electricity-auditor-general-finds-1.2139544

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 20, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

Years ago when I was in eastern europe houses and apartments had these displays that showed the current real time cost of electricity. Thought that was very cool. I am a firm believer in pricing as a motivator. If you knew that your dishwasher would cost $1.50 to run during dinner but $0.50 over night, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would change their behaviour.

How cool would it be to have the ability to know in real time what each appliance would cost you to run, or the current hourly cost of running your home ? If I could see on a screen in my kitchen that it was costing me (to make up a number) $5.00 per hour in current electricity consumption, you know I would immediately be trying to get that number down.

You can get a monitor from bch today. I have one, and despite being highly educated and informed about electrical consumption and cost prior, it does influence my behaviour to see the dollars and cents scrolling by in real time. I doubt any resulting savings will pay back the cost of the monitor in my lifetime though!

March 9, 2015, 6:21 p.m.

the deadline for the engineers keeps getting moved ahead, i like to see them sitting on there hands trying to find jobs to bill time to.

March 9, 2015, 6:58 p.m.

IMO, the site C damn is a fairly large disaster. After talking with a few engineers at the GC dam in Wash they can't believe its actually going through. Have to say I agree. A lot better sources of power in the area I have been a part of. ( I worked on the wind farm right beside it) personally I like the American attitude for once on dams. They're spending billions removing them.

March 9, 2015, 9:52 p.m.

You can get a monitor from bch today. I have one, and despite being highly educated and informed about electrical consumption and cost prior, it does influence my behaviour to see the dollars and cents scrolling by in real time. I doubt any resulting savings will pay back the cost of the monitor in my lifetime though!

got one, it's the best thing. Spent some time turning things off and on to see what really burns electricity, pretty surprising what uses a lot of power. At one point we had the washer and dryer on, floor heating on, etc…. holy cow, we hit something like $1.35 per hour. The monitor adjusts behaviour in a big way.

March 9, 2015, 9:55 p.m.

IMO, the site C damn is a fairly large disaster. After talking with a few engineers at the GC dam in Wash they can't believe its actually going through. Have to say I agree. A lot better sources of power in the area I have been a part of. ( I worked on the wind farm right beside it) personally I like the American attitude for once on dams. They're spending billions removing them.

Three words… "base load power", windmills are not it.