Mass shooting in Florida.

June 21, 2016, 12:13 p.m.

I get that the AR-15 makes people feel like Rambo and that is why we see them in mass shootings (nobody mass murdered like Rambo), but I also get that calling for a ban is kind of ridiculous. Speeding kills people every day and we are not banning sexy fast looking cars.

Mass shootings and overall gun violence in America are almost 2 separate issues. Yes they are both gun related, but when it comes to overall gun violence and death in America it is hand guns that are the real weapon of choice. Between comprehensive background checks and hand gun bans there would be no need for assault rifle bans. Of course then how does a woman with high anxiety get a gun that fits in her purse? Merica!

June 21, 2016, 12:14 p.m.

pretty sure there's some phallic desire relationship going on (compensation for personal impotency perhaps); i'm sure there's papers written on the subject.

It's not a phallic thing. It's an insecurity thing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 21, 2016, 12:16 p.m.

Sweet bed bro. You must slay on that thing.

its a furry zedbra!!

June 21, 2016, 12:32 p.m.

It's not a phallic thing. It's an insecurity thing.

stemming from a wee or dysfunctional willie?

but yeah. insecurity / self hate yields transference.

June 21, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

Speeding kills people every day and we are not banning sexy fast looking cars.

That's a lame duck argument.

Rules and regulations for automobile designs are constantly updated and added to in order to increase safety, unlike firearms. The purpose of a motorized vehicles is to move things around; the purpose of a firearm is to extinguish life.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 21, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

"life extinguisher". i like that.

June 21, 2016, 1:59 p.m.

Orlando Police admit that some of the dead in the recent Pulse nightclub mass shooting may have been shot by police who fired at Omar Mateen and some of his hostages through the hole that police busted into the outer wall of a lavatory in the building where he had been holed up

Let’s Ban Assault Weapons for Police, Too

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 21, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

Rules and regulations for automobile designs are constantly updated and added to in order to increase safety, unlike firearms. The purpose of a motorized vehicles is to move things around; the purpose of a firearm is to extinguish life.

I've never seen any of my guns get up on their own and fulfill your professed purpose. I've only ever heard of people killing people, albeit with various weapons.

June 21, 2016, 2:09 p.m.

That's a lame duck argument.

It is not about the purpose, I realize that gun are for killing, my point was that the only real difference between an assault rifle like the AR-15 and another less ominous looking semi-auto rifle is that the AR-15 was designed for looks and the reaction it will get from gun enthusiasts just like a Ferrari is to car enthusiasts.

After every mass shooting the assault weapon ban gets thrown around and I don't think the NRA could hand pick a better argument for them to win because it is loosely defined and really comes down to cosmetics.

If I was an American liberal looking for sane gun laws I would just keep hammering on the screening process for guns so at least the crazies don't have legal access to them whether it is a bad ass AR-15 or a pistol. They should go after handguns too but thanks to the Supreme Court's generous translation of the 2nd amendment that is a lost cause.

June 21, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

I've never seen any of my guns get up on their own and fulfill your professed purpose. I've only ever heard of people killing people, albeit with various weapons.

I've never heard of a car crashing itself either. Yet we have seen massive reductions in fatalities by legislating air-bags and seatbelts.

June 21, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

The purpose of a motorized vehicles is to move things around; the purpose of a firearm is to extinguish life.

That is not exactly true. Firearms are typically designed to fire a bullet and the user chooses what to do with said bullet.

There certainly are firearms designed with the intention of being used at war but I would say a lot of the firearms designed these days are for sporting purposes.

How a firearm looks does not define its purpose.

This is a battle rifle
, it also happens to be a very popular hunting and target shooting rifle in Canada. It is said that the .303 British cartridge has killed more moose and fed more people than all other cartridges combined.

This rifle, while it has a totally different appearance, was designed from the ground up as a target rifle.

I don't wish to start a debate but to just correct some misinformation.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

June 21, 2016, 2:35 p.m.

It is not about the purpose, I realize that gun are for killing, my point was that the only real difference between an assault rifle like the AR-15 and another less ominous looking semi-auto rifle is that the AR-15 was designed for looks and the reaction it will get from gun enthusiasts just like a Ferrari is to car enthusiasts.

After every mass shooting the assault weapon ban gets thrown around and I don't think the NRA could hand pick a better argument for them to win because it is loosely defined and really comes down to cosmetics.

If I was an American liberal looking for sane gun laws I would just keep hammering on the screening process for guns so at least the crazies don't have legal access to them whether it is a bad ass AR-15 or a pistol. They should go after handguns too but thanks to the Supreme Court's generous translation of the 2nd amendment that is a lost cause.

IMO, improved background checks and screening would have the greatest positive effect. The true criminal will not be bothered by bans or screening but keeping firearms out of the hands of the average idiot with a suspicious past will probably do some good.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

June 21, 2016, 2:37 p.m.

here's what I don't get about the pro gun / anti control / NRA argument . . . why wouldn't they want to make it tougher for the crazies , that is , not the type of law abiding citizens they claim to represent and protect , to get their hands on weapons ?

after all , if it is those mentally unstable / terrorist / criminals that are using their product(s) which are making them look bad , why wouldn't they want to try and exclude them from using said products ?

surely those law abiding citizens wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to get their firearms if it meant those that shouldn't have them , couldn't get them ?

am I making sense ?

June 21, 2016, 2:52 p.m.

I've never heard of a car crashing itself either. Yet we have seen massive reductions in fatalities by legislating air-bags and seatbelts.

Yet people driving cars kill thousands of people every year. By your logic, we should ban cars from everyone because a few people drove theirs drunk and killed someone. If it saves just one life….

June 21, 2016, 3 p.m.

Yet people driving cars kill thousands of people every year. By your logic, we should ban cars from everyone because a few people drove theirs drunk and killed someone. If it saves just one life….

If I was advocating for confiscating every firearm, or some other draconian solution, you might, might have a valid point. I wasn't.

Common sense legislation, like background checks and making sure people on the no-fly list cant legally buy or possess weapons, storage laws etc could each REDUCE the number of gun related deaths and produce a cumulative reduction in gun related deaths without meaningfully effecting legal gun ownership by responsible people. If a piece of legislation can reduce the number of gun related deaths, even by 1%, without meaningfully effecting law abiding gun owners, what exactly is the reason behind opposing that legislation?

Legislating seatbelts in cars didn't prevent loss of life in every accident, it did have a reductive effect though.