Cowspiracy

Sept. 27, 2015, 8:25 a.m.

has anybody else seen this yet? i watched it the other night on netflix and found it to be quite thought provoking, although i think it needed to explore human population numbers more and do a stronger job of tying that in to agribusiness and the meat industry. overall it has me rethinking food and the idea of sustainability.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 27, 2015, 6:49 p.m.

I've not seen it yet as I guess I am one of the 'converted' and part of me doesn't want to be depressed by seeing how people are wrecking the planet due to our food traditions.

Some 'good' info here though for people who are interested in the survival of the planet (1000 gallons of water needed to produce a gallon of milk. That's insane):

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 27, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Watching this, and contemplating the issue, well that's going to take a bit of intellectual curiosity and a tough look in the mirror. Even if what is being said is 50% accurate, it's pretty compelling.
I suspect most here, and in western society in general, are too weak kneed to venture down this road…better to just ignore something so important…anyway, good of you to bring it up. Thanks.

Sept. 27, 2015, 10:15 p.m.

Pretty much the only meat I eat these days is chicken … mostly because I don't eat much meat to begin with, and chicken is way cheaper by weight than beef or pork or fish. Chicken and egg farming seem to have much smaller footprints (which makes sense if their costs are lower) - than beef, pork or lamb. Plus my kids ethical sensibilities seem to mean they don't mind eating a dumb bird (an introduced, near-flightless, fast-breeding species of jungle fowl with a brain the size of a fingernail) as opposed to larger bovines and suidades. I also like eggs.

If you cut out dairy and eat chicken/eggs for protein, your calculated footprint ends up pretty close to a vegan, according to this:

Buk!Buk!Buk!

Sept. 28, 2015, 12:06 a.m.

I thought this would be about aspartame being added to milk without proper labeling.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 28, 2015, 6:47 a.m.

It has a decent message but man that guy was annoying. Made the movie way too much about him and how awesome he is living in San Fran driving a vw van.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 28, 2015, 7:58 a.m.

Beef is a big foot print but then so are almonds.

one gallon of California aquifer water per almond, avocados, and other nuts are also very water intensive in an area that provides a bunch of the fruit and vedgies to north america.

Sept. 28, 2015, 8:14 a.m.

Pretty much the only meat I eat these days is chicken … mostly because I don't eat much meat to begin with, and chicken is way cheaper by weight than beef or pork or fish. Chicken and egg farming seem to have much smaller footprints (which makes sense if their costs are lower) - than beef, pork or lamb. Plus my kids ethical sensibilities seem to mean they don't mind eating a dumb bird (an introduced, near-flightless, fast-breeding species of jungle fowl with a brain the size of a fingernail) as opposed to larger bovines and suidades. I also like eggs.

If you cut out dairy and eat chicken/eggs for protein, your calculated footprint ends up pretty close to a vegan, according to this:

Buk!Buk!Buk!

The history of chickens means absolutely nothing. Dogs have been bred for specific purposes for thousands of years. Would you eat one? The poultry industry practices are the most horrific out there in terms of animal welfare. Protein is readily available elsewhere.

http://animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/factory//2440//

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 28, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

The history of chickens means absolutely nothing. Dogs have been bred for specific purposes for thousands of years. Would you eat one? The poultry industry practices are the most horrific out there in terms of animal welfare. Protein is readily available elsewhere.

http://animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/factory//2440//

I didn't say anything about the ethics of raising animals for protein …. I was saying that chicken is probably has the lowest footprint for an animal protein. I'd probably eat dog if I were starving and there was nothing else to eat, like the explorer Roald Amundsen.

Sept. 28, 2015, 12:31 p.m.

Mmmm…steak.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 28, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

Had lamb for dinner last night, chicken the night before and steak the night before that. Love the lamb, it's just too expensive to eat very often.

Oh, I made veal cutlet last weekend. I figure that eating baby cows has a lower carbon footprint than beef, so there's my good deed.

I drank beer from Bridge Brewing, had to get in my truck and drive there to fill the growlers. Don't know if craft brewing is more or less carbon intensive than other beer, but it tastes sooo much better that I don't care.

Sept. 28, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

Venison.
\thread

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 28, 2015, 5:03 p.m.

…blah, blah, blah…that I don't care.

Yeah, I suspect that anyone that read your post gets this. Were the pictures in the movie too complex for you? Oh, sorry dude, you didn't even watch it, right?
Nice strawman, ad hominem, and deflections…like I said, too many weak knees for this one, haha.
Somehow one would've imagined mountain bikers would be more concerned about the environment, their health, and their kids health/future.

Sept. 28, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

I love my steak/chicken/cheese. I have heard before that animals based farming was not that great but the number presented here are staggering.
My girlfriend is a vegetarian but eat heaps loads of dairy and fish.
As it was said earlier even if only half of what that documentary is true we should consider seriously going further towards vegan and keep the meat, fish or dairy only for treats once in a while…
As many of the things we love now eating animals product is just not sustainable.
Suck it up eat beans and bike more :werd:

Sept. 28, 2015, 5:39 p.m.

We need to move away from the huge factory farms and get back to buying our food from smaller local farms as much as we can. I did not watch the movie, but can likely guess it was aimed at those that think their meat comes from the grocery store, and are shocked that their supper had to die for them to enjoy it.

Food production is a dirty, bloody business, there is no way around it. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I can walk to the local farm market, and buy food grown by my neighbours on a small family farm.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]