TIRED OF I.T. - Cycling across the globe

April 22, 2011, 12:35 a.m.

Hey NSMB, I wanted to share this with you on behalf of my friend Dave Conroy. Some of you may know of him from 90s/00's dance parties, or through the now defunct Sleizure radio show @ SFU.

He quit his IT job sold everything he owns, and is cycling all over the world! It's an amazing journey, and he is sharing his experience with everyone who is interested in following it through his website.

Currently he's on the east coast, having ridden down to Mexico and back to Vancouver, and now across Canada, with some zigzagging. He's ridden over 17000 Kilometers so far. He still intends to zig zag over all the other continents of the globe, so the best is still to come!

There is everything from broken down costs/statistics of his travels, gear reviews, maps of his route, photos of his travels, to some very curious and funny stories and tales.

CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.tiredofit.ca

April 22, 2011, 8:27 a.m.

that's pretty cool. i've kind of been following this guy - he's doing it to raise awareness for mental health issues. he writes a once-weekly column in 24.

http://www.ridedonthide.com/

http://www.cmha.bc.ca/files/MaySpinathon.pdf

April 23, 2011, 10:24 a.m.

Pretty cool adventure so far. His upcoming route is pretty ambitious, guessing it'll take at least 2-3 yrs to make it around the world?

April 28, 2011, 9:53 a.m.

Very cool Methods, thanks for sharing. He's got a lot of really interesting content in his blog, I'll definitely keep tabs on him.

f e r g s :canada:

April 28, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

if you ride around the world and DON'T blog or make a movie about it, does it still count? i remember putting long trips or stints abroad/out back together in my younger days - a big part of the motivation was to GTF away from people, life, media, etc. now it seems like most of these efforts are focused on drawing society's attention to oneself - look at me! i'm doing something neat! rather than escaping it :dizzy:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 28, 2011, noon

Why wouldn't you share your travels with your friends? Why wouldn't you share this learned information to other people who might want to do the same thing or something similar? I'm glad you had your OWN motivations to go on your antisocial retreats, but that's not what this is about. Thanks for your conceited response anyways! Not what I expected from a person who rides bikes!

April 29, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

Wow, thanks for posting the link. I just spend some time reading bits and pieces, and I am loving it so far.

I had a 60 km trip along the Rhine today, had to do some shopping, and instead of taking the car, I decided to take my commuter, hop on a train, and ride from a city not that far away to the place where I had to go. I ended up enjoying sunshine, meeting interesting people on the way and just "gliding" along, taking in the surroundings. After 30 minutes of constant pedalling, your mind slowly starts to empty itself of all the chitchat and clutter. Nothing beats a ride where you start to feel "empty" and "full" at the same time.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 29, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

if you ride around the world and DON'T blog or make a movie about it, does it still count? i remember putting long trips or stints abroad/out back together in my younger days - a big part of the motivation was to GTF away from people, life, media, etc. now it seems like most of these efforts are focused on drawing society's attention to oneself - look at me! i'm doing something neat! rather than escaping it :dizzy:

To answer your question, nope, it wouldn't count if you didn't blog/twitter/FB it.

:canada: :england: